Stock up on that liquor! | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stock up on that liquor!

LCBO has the same problem CBC has, somewhat. The gov wants to have service/supply across Canada/Province. With Canada being far & wide some big players are not interested in these small towns. So the mandate of LCBO makes sense. Also the LCBO location is a multifuncton retail, with CP, and or Service Canada. Sure big cities like TO would benefit from other retailers selling booze, one stop shop kinda deal.
Lcbo doesn't serve small markets with unionized stores already. They are served by lcbo in convenience stores.

So now that we're in Day X of the strike (which my local LCBO doesn't have anyone picketing in front of it).

Any recommendations for local distilleries of whiskey / rum / vodka?

May as well support the locals while this strike continues on.

I must be getting old, I simply don't understand this strike. There is a LCBO across the street from where I drop off my wife for work.
I'm reading the signs, support your LCBO etc.. How can the public support you when you go on strike? For those desperate for booze they will seek other avenues and perhaps a few will not be going back to the LCBO after this..

I neither agree or disagree with the strike and I have no positive or negative comments towards it, I just don't get it...
I have not spent a nickel in the LCBO in well over 10 years, so I'm cool either way..

I must be getting old, I simply don't understand this strike. There is a LCBO across the street from where I drop off my wife for work.
I'm reading the signs, support your LCBO etc.. How can the public support you when you go on strike? For those desperate for booze they will seek other avenues and perhaps a few will not be going back to the LCBO after this..

I neither agree or disagree with the strike and I have no positive or negative comments towards it, I just don't get it...
I have not spent a nickel in the LCBO in well over 10 years, so I'm cool either way..

Same here.. somewhat.
I don't drink much.. and when I do.. I only buy from local breweries.

I’m still not convinced this will work as well as people think. Also, I’m way happier not letting Galen Weston buy another yacht.
If the margin given to Galen is 10%, I don't see a major downside. If douggie allows the margins to change, it can obviously be a colossal loser for taxpayers.

If the margin given to Galen is 10%, I don't see a major downside. If douggie allows the margins to change, it can obviously be a colossal loser for taxpayers.

I don’t see a downside if you want to buy crappy wine lake wine or mass produced vodka but if you want a niche product that’s not going to be taking up valuable floor space in any Loblaws.

I don’t see a downside if you want to buy crappy wine lake wine or mass produced vodka but if you want a niche product that’s not going to be taking up valuable floor space in any Loblaws.
That’s my thought also. LCBO will keep the good stuff, and while volume will shrink the run of the mill alcoholic variety will be available.

Not many retailers will keep $100 bottles of glenfiddich. But $35 bottles of Wisers….

Plus it’ll all depend if Ontario keeps a minimum price for different alcohols.

That’s my thought also. LCBO will keep the good stuff, and while volume will shrink the run of the mill alcoholic variety will be available.

Not many retailers will keep $100 bottles of glenfiddich. But $35 bottles of Wisers….

Plus it’ll all depend if Ontario keeps a minimum price for different alcohols.

I don’t go to Loblaws and my wife would leave me if I bring home anything other than mid tier Californian Chardonnay so I still can do a one stop shop for Belgian beer and that at the LCBO.

I don’t go to Loblaws and my wife would leave me if I bring home anything other than mid tier Californian Chardonnay so I still can do a one stop shop for Belgian beer and that at the LCBO.
I haven't heard anyone argue for abolishing lcbo. Like defund the police, it is a matter of measures. For both, I think breaking the monopoly is valuable. Grossly overpaying retail staff because a monopoly is profitable is idiotic. If a retail job is what you do for a living, expect close to minimum wage as it's close to minimal employment. If you want double minimum wage, find a job that requires skills, training, certification, etc to justify the bump.

Barrie has 6 lcbos. Do we need six locations with $100 bottles and $35 an hour staff for 150k people? Imo no. One lcbo for the premium selection and generic booze at places people already shop would better serve the people and lower expenses imo.

Like the Chrysler fight before, there are lots of jobs at $17/hr but not many at 35/hr. Union is pushing to vastly increase the number at 35. I strongly disagree with that compensation for that job. If the union wins on pushing employees into expensive full-time positions, I think the right approach for that is brutal head count reduction to keep operating cost similar (probably through closing many lcbos as you can't reduce staff at a store much more).

EDIT:
bas.jpg

Last edited:
We know the lcbo earns the province more than 2bil.. but how much of that.. if any.. actually comes from the retail side of the lcbo?

They'll cater to the market... Loblaws in Malton will carry a different selection than the one in Huntsville.. etc.

We know the lcbo earns the province more than 2bil.. but how much of that.. if any.. actually comes from the retail side of the lcbo?
Apparently a bunch but everyone is obtuse with the numbers (that I have found anyway). A lot of that 2.5B is taxes which would be collected regardless of the point of sale. The interesting question to me is does overhead (including theft) and staffing for an LCBO store cost more than the percentage offered to third party sellers (I have heard 10%). If it costs more, lcbo should become the boutique with a boutique number of locations (like vintages was at one point). If the union wins, run the math again as that may change the viability.

All of it no? Taxes are separate. The $2.5 bill figure is the pure profit ploughed back into the province.

This day and age I’m not going to say that having a decent wage is a bad thing for workers at the LCBO. If AI takes away some more skilled jobs this is all that will be left for some and you should be able to live off that. More power to them.

I get monopolies are “bad” in most mindsets but privatization does not necessarily have a good record either.

All of it no? Taxes are separate. The $2.5 bill figure is the pure profit ploughed back into the province.

This day and age I’m not going to say that having a decent wage is a bad thing for workers at the LCBO. If AI takes away some more skilled jobs this is all that will be left for some and you should be able to live off that. More power to them.

I get monopolies are “bad” in most mindsets but privatization does not necessarily have a good record either.
Here are the numbers.

"The LCBO paid $3.72 billion to all levels of government in FY2023. The dividend – excluding excise,duty and all sales and municipal taxes, was remitted at the provincial level and accounted for 69per cent of the total. The Canadian government received $1.10 billion in the form of excise, dutyand sales taxes"

Home consumer-retail is 79% of revenue.

There is no such thing as a livable wage and it is critically important that government compares their wages to similar jobs and ignores "livable". If government is paying more than double the equivalent private sector jobs, who is paying the taxes to cover those incomes? Sadly, in a world of limited resources, it is all percentage based. Retail workers will always struggle to afford life. Working for the public sector to get double the income of a compatriot in the private sector is horrible public policy. You have just changed the person that is struggling (for instance, lcbo workers would then be well above psw's who have training and licensing and would move down in the economic pecking order to a retail clerk).

EDIT:
Gross margin on spirits is 59%.

Operating the retail arm costs about 8% of gross revenue (about $800k/store/year)

Retail sales expenses were 9.1% of sales. Giving a different establishment 10% should barely move the needle.

Salary and benefits are 7.1% of retail sales. If union wins and the 70% currently making $17 get converted to $35+ (total comp), this probably jumps 5% or so and LCBO retail costs much more than private (assuming private is given a 10% margin)

Last edited:
Now the LCBO employee are picketing the distribution centres that supply bars and restaurants. Is fair and legal and really pissing off people is how you get what you want .
I can’t wait to get more supply directly through wineries and small distilleries. I’ll gladly pay all taxes , and I’ll pay a premium. I really don’t like unions , mostly when many restaurants barely made it through the last 4 yrs , let’s make life harder for mom’s and pops and entrepreneurs.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom