Stock up on that liquor! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stock up on that liquor!

Looks like the strike is on starting tomorrow at 12:01am...

My liver needs a break anyway.

And here we are…first time in their history.

I don’t even know what they’re striking for.

It's always about $. Taking a bottle out of a box and putting it on a shelf is a skilled trade. 😉

And here we are…first time in their history.

The biggest hurdle is union wants all jobs protected in perpetuity (and bring more jobs into the protection) regardless of any changes to distribution province may make. F those guys. Leave them to bake in the sun.

It's always about $. Taking a bottle out of a box and putting it on a shelf is a skilled trade. 😉
I'm all for worker rights, but in the end...compare the roles to others within the same skillset (if any) and then decide.

IIRC working at LCBO is one of the sweetest gigs. I loved working at the Beer Store...'inventory' nights at 2am with cracked cases all around and 6 pack bowling...good times.

The biggest hurdle is union wants all jobs protected in perpetuity (and bring more jobs into the protection) regardless of any changes to distribution province may make. F those guys. Leave them to bake in the sun.
How exactly is that supposed to work? More people to do less work? Detached from reality I see.

How exactly is that supposed to work? More people to do less work? Detached from reality I see.
They are hoping that by locking in the expense of a unionized lcbo that other distribution avenues won't be viable. Union is pushing the marketing hard as "Ford's dry summer". I'm not sure why the media is so quick to latch onto that. How about comparing their total comp (including pensions and benefits) with every other retail job. That would be a valuable service by the media instead of misleading clickbait.

I'm with Doug. Fight back against this cancer. Perpetual guaranteed staffing shouldn't be legal to even negotiate in a public contract. The public sector unions have gone way outside their mandate of protecting employees and moved well into trying to dictate policy. They should be thrown to the curb.

I'm hoping that people realize how many other options their are for booze (online, convenience outlets, wineries, breweries, etc). Hell, theft seems to be beyond rampant at LCBO. Being on strike probably saves hundreds of thousands a day in stolen booze. There are 685 LCBO's in Ontario. All have a policy of letting people walk out unimpeded with as much booze as they want. I understand why they did that but it's a failure as a long-term policy. Maybe take the next few weeks to reconfigure store entrances and make the lobbies an airlock so staff can trap the thieves safely.

Last edited:
They are hoping that by locking in the expense of a unionized lcbo that other distribution avenues won't be viable. Union is pushing the marketing hard as "Ford's dry summer". I'm not sure why the media is so quick to latch onto that. How about comparing their total comp (including pensions and benefits) with every other retail job. That would be a valuable service by the media instead of misleading clickbait.

I'm with Doug. Fight back against this cancer. Perpetual guaranteed staffing shouldn't be legal to even negotiate in a public contract. The public sector unions have gone way outside their mandate of protecting employees and moved well into trying to dictate policy. They should be thrown to the curb.

I'm hoping that people realize how many other options their are for booze (online, convenience outlets, wineries, breweries, etc). Hell, theft seems to be beyond rampant at LCBO. Being on strike probably saves hundreds of thousands a day in stolen booze. There are 685 LCBO's in Ontario. All have a policy of letting people walk out unimpeded with as much booze as they want. I understand why they did that but it's a failure as a long-term policy. Maybe take the next few weeks to reconfigure store entrances and make the lobbies an airlock so staff can trap the thieves safely.
Sounds rosey and everything, but 70% of the employees are part time atm, and not by choice.
Current wages are $17 & change to $30/ hr.
Time for the union to dig in, and get those employees a decent "living wage".
There's enough tent cities already.

Sounds rosey and everything, but 70% of the employees are part time atm, and not by choice.
Current wages are $17 & change to $30/ hr.
Time for the union to dig in, and get those employees a decent "living wage".
There's enough tent cities already.
If every government job pays a "living" wage and most private sector jobs don't and government employees make up more than 20% of the population, how do you propose footing that bill? Taxes need to go way up which increases inflation and you are in a death spiral. Government jobs must pay less than private sector imo but the vast majority have much more job security and access to benefits/pension. If you want to make more, get out there and get more working for someone else, don't extort the taxpayers.

EDIT:
You need to pay enough to fill the roles. Something like firefighters have more than 100 reasonably competent applicants for every opening. That means they are paying far more than they need to to fill the roles. I doubt it's that bad but I haven't heard of LCBO being hurting for employees either.

If every government job pays a "living" wage and most private sector jobs don't and government employees make up more than 20% of the population, how do you propose footing that bill? Taxes need to go way up which increases inflation and you are in a death spiral. Government jobs must pay less than private sector imo but the vast majority have much more job security and access to benefits/pension. If you want to make more, get out there and get more working for someone else, don't extort the taxpayers.

EDIT:
You need to pay enough to fill the roles. Something like firefighters have more than 100 reasonably competent applicants for every opening. That means they are paying far more than they need to to fill the roles. I doubt it's that bad but I haven't heard of LCBO being hurting for employees either.
Raise the price of every bottle going out the door......ten, fifteen cents......ten, fifteen bucks.........I don't drink, so I don't care.
Any small increase will help (can be used to help) min wage earners.

Looks like the strike is on starting tomorrow at 12:01am...

My liver needs a break anyway.
My, pun intended, glass half full outlook is this is a great personal liquor consumption reduction opportunity.
While the LCBO model is far from perfect (my largest complaint is I would like to see longer hours) I generally do not think Dougie's plans are going to be any better, I expect them to actually be much worse.

Higher costs, more dangerous theft (but now from corner stores), more minor access, less selection, only low quality high volume, etc.

Raise the price of every bottle going out the door......ten, fifteen cents......ten, fifteen bucks.........I don't drink, so I don't care.
Any small increase will help (can be used to help) min wage earners.
They are already slightly above minimum wage as a floor. Union wants to move them to more than double minimum wage as total comp. It's a retail job. F that nonsense. It should have total comp close to minimum wage. No education required, no responsibilities after you punch out.

My, pun intended, glass half full outlook is this is a great personal liquor consumption reduction opportunity.
While the LCBO model is far from perfect (my largest complaint is I would like to see longer hours) I generally do not think Dougie's plans are going to be any better, I expect them to actually be much worse.

Higher costs, more dangerous theft (but now from corner stores), more minor access, less selection, only low quality high volume, etc.
Maybe but it should also open the door for high quality low volume stores. Hit up a tequiliary with 1000 different choices and minimal theft as they buzz people in and out.

There are agencies in Toronto that import wines for restauranteurs, maybe a retail spot is possible for them ?
Right now I get liquor delivered from the LCBO , they are predicting interruptions of 24/36 hrs but the cases will show up , but that is for a licensed bar. They have upped the minimum orders , and the delivery price but booze to bars is still flowing . I’m trying out buying direct from micro brewers and small distilleries, it’s more work but I thinks I like the idea of helping Ontario business .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Beer stores unaffected.
LCBO doing free home delivery on online orders with no minimum purchase amount.
LCBO outlets in corner stores unaffected.
Grocery stores that sell alcohol unaffected.
The Wine Rack and that other similar store unaffected.

Unless you need to peruse in store people should be just fine.

Beer stores unaffected.

Add to that small distilleries and small breweries…should be minimal impact on most.

Plus plenty restaurants and bars will sell bottles so the desperate have a way out.

I need to make some grapefrucello as the annual camping trip is coming up, and the distillery will be at a local farmers market this weekend. I expect their prices to crank.

Beer stores unaffected.

Exactly. They’re going to find out they might just be irrelevant / redundant

LCBO has the same problem CBC has, somewhat. The gov wants to have service/supply across Canada/Province. With Canada being far & wide some big players are not interested in these small towns. So the mandate of LCBO makes sense. Also the LCBO location is a multifuncton retail, with CP, and or Service Canada. Sure big cities like TO would benefit from other retailers selling booze, one stop shop kinda deal.

Maybe but it should also open the door for high quality low volume stores. Hit up a tequiliary with 1000 different choices and minimal theft as they buzz people in and out.
I think things will get better. Open the door for Costco at their 9% margin. I’m sure they would be like they are in the USA, a nice selection of cheap Kirkland swills sitting beside a rotating offer of interesting premium quality spirits and wine sold in convienent 2packs.

Back
Top Bottom