Stock up on that liquor! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stock up on that liquor!

Can't you just buy direct from the distillery? My US friend asks me to buy Glen Breton for him every year, and LCBO doesn't stock it, so I have to order direct.
You can order it from the US as well now fyi. LCBO carries their 10 and a horrible “Fiddler’s” concoction. We have friends in Inverness and did the whisky tasting tour there. Owner is really nice.

I'm interested to know what the union is proposing instead of Ford's privatization plans.
Protect all jobs (or increase headcount) and pay employees more is my guess. Does a union ever make a suggestion to help a business improve?

EDIT:
Big surprise /s

Protectionism at a detriment to the public and only benefitting union members and more jobs and money. Called it.

"Hornick suggested that the union's alternative plan would be less favourable for Canada's big grocery chains.

It would also include restricting the sale of spirit-based ready-made drinks to the LCBO. Spirits are still restricted to the government-owned liquor store in the plan the Ford government is set to roll out over the next few months.

However, the union declined to offer full details of the proposal and stopped short of saying that the government's refusal of it would prompt a strike.

The union is also asking for wage increases to keep up with inflation and job protections that include more permanent positions in LCBO retail stores, organizers said."

Last edited:
Protect all jobs (or increase headcount) and pay employees more is my guess. Does a union ever make a suggestion to help a business improve?
That’s about it.

Many Ontario unions loaded the musket, only to shoot off their own feet.

Like lemmings this union looks te be following suit.

I’m not a fan of privatized liquor in Ontario , I’m in AB a bit , prices went up and selection went down . It’s not better . Quebec wines are not cheaper than Ontario.
I get the union nonsense, and they make good money with a good pension. My good friend just packed it in last yr as VP of sales and marketing for the LCBO, she’s is pretty upfront ( as an ex employee) that going to independent markets will not bring prices down, or increase selection. LCBO is one of the biggest buying groups in the world , it’s the Tax and that’s not going away. I can see beer and wine in corner stores , but Fred’s variety will not be putting $70 bottles in the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I’m not a fan of privatized liquor in Ontario , I’m in AB a bit , prices went up and selection went down . It’s not better . Quebec wines are not cheaper than Ontario.
I get the union nonsense, and they make good money with a good pension. My good friend just packed it in last yr as VP of sales and marketing for the LCBO, she’s is pretty upfront ( as an ex employee) that going to independent markets will not bring prices down, or increase selection. LCBO is one of the biggest buying groups in the world , it’s the Tax and that’s not going away. I can see beer and wine in corner stores , but Fred’s variety will not be putting $70 bottles in the rack.

From my experience in BC, they have both public and private stores. Private stores have lower selection and higher prices but they have much longer hours (11 pm or later iirc). A private store guy I talked to said they buy at public store for retail price and then need to mark it up.

I was trying to track down a bottle of Penfold Grandfather that I can't get in Ontario. After that conversation, there was no point checking another private store as there is no way they would stock it.

Mad Mikes point is the distribution side could have a lot of money pulled from it. I have no idea if his numbers are plausible or not. If Loblaws had the ability to buy from any supplier, I suspect consumer prices would be lower as they can buy enough to get a good deal and they could bypass all LCBO infrastructure. Now, they are a monopolist profit whore so I don't expect a huge discount. Maybe a buck less retail but with a far higher margin than LCBO makes. That would transfer money from provincial coffers to Galen if allowed to happen though. It would be interesting to see the cut the province would want to compensate for lost profit. I suspect Loblaws could still do it and make a bundle. Less selection but that's fine. If I want 100 kinds of rum, I can go to LCBO. If I want something cheap to mix in drinks, I have no issues with a very limited selection at a big discount.

Last edited:
From my experience in BC, they have both public and private stores. Private stores have lower selection and higher prices but they have much longer hours (11 pm or later iirc). A private store guy I talked to said they buy at public store for retail price and then need to mark it up.

I was trying to track down a bottle of Penfold Grandfather that I can't get in Ontario. After that conversation, there was no point checking another private store as there is no way they would stock it.

Mad Mikes point is the distribution side could have a lot of money pulled from it. I have no idea if his numbers are plausible or not. If Loblaws had the ability to buy from any supplier, I suspect consumer prices would be lower as they can buy enough to get a good deal and they could bypass all LCBO infrastructure. Now, they are a monopolist profit whore so I don't expect a huge discount. Maybe a buck less retail but with a far higher margin than LCBO makes. That would transfer money from provincial coffers to Galen if allowed to happen though. It would be interesting to see the cut the province would want to compensate for lost profit. I suspect Loblaws could still do it and make a bundle. Less selection but that's fine. If I want 100 kinds of rum, I can go to LCBO. If I want something cheap to mix in drinks, I have no issues with a very limited selection at a big discount.
private retailers in Ontario will get a 10% discount. That accounted for about a third of the liberals $1b number.

I think a model like you find in many states will work here. You’ll get boutique retailers with $70 bottles, mass merchants with a dozen basic brands, and discount stores with cheap swill. You won’t get the first two in Orangeville, but you will in Oakville.

As for Galen profiteering… that’s hard to do on a demand commodity like liquor without a monopoly or cartel.

As for the province getting their share, do it like they do with gasoline, weed and smokes - take it first.

So oddly , an LCBO regional manager and I crossed paths this afternoon, she was pretty adamant this strike is not “ really “ about job protection for the LCBO employees, but it may be about union dues and job protection for the union folks . They make serious coin at the top of the union totem pole .

As someone who deals with the LCBO weekly ( my hobby job running a bar at a yacht club) , they make it harder constantly, with minimum orders and time frames to pick up , rediculous delivery rates and strategies on product placement ( wtf is that?) , which does make me like dealing with some wineries direct , and I love local microbrews, they will work for the business . But in my view , the LCBO is a needed business model. I can order anything from around the world , if May take 5 months but that bottle of Lamole Chianti isn’t getting to my rack from Fred’s Convenience.

So oddly , an LCBO regional manager and I crossed paths this afternoon, she was pretty adamant this strike is not “ really “ about job protection for the LCBO employees, but it may be about union dues and job protection for the union folks . They make serious coin at the top of the union totem pole .

As someone who deals with the LCBO weekly ( my hobby job running a bar at a yacht club) , they make it harder constantly, with minimum orders and time frames to pick up , rediculous delivery rates and strategies on product placement ( wtf is that?) , which does make me like dealing with some wineries direct , and I love local microbrews, they will work for the business . But I my view , the LCBO is a needed business model.

I don't think anyone is advocating for abolishment of LCBO. Like defund the police, it is a matter of degrees. They have a monopoly even when people may be better served by alternate models that never get a shot to succeed. Step one is breaking the monopoly. Let smart people see if they can make a viable business.

As someone who deals with the LCBO weekly ( my hobby job running a bar at a yacht club) , they make it harder constantly, with minimum orders and time frames to pick up , rediculous delivery rates and strategies on product placement ( wtf is that?) , which does make me like dealing with some wineries direct , and I love local microbrews, they will work for the business . But in my view , the LCBO is a needed business model. I can order anything from around the world , if May take 5 months but that bottle of Lamole Chianti isn’t getting to my rack from Fred’s Convenience.

Thing is, that bottle is not available because local distributors aren’t going to stock items that are not lcbo listed, and they’re not going thru flaming hoops to list specialty products. If they can sell a few cases a year because of unrestricted access to the market, my guess is it will be more available.

Had a pal that imported Australian wines, she said getting on the shelf at the LCBO made it impossible to distribute some real botique winners.

you can work with wine and alcohol agencies around the province, Toronto has a least a half dozen and they will bring in Non LCBO listed product to support your resteraunt or bar , you still pay a ton of tax and import fees and it all takes time. The average citizen cant support buying 6 cases of wine xxx .
And your very correct @madmike , getting LCBO listed ( which is the holy grail for small producers) is really hard, and also expensive, you have to commit to a lot of things small wineries cant fulfill.

I don't think anyone is advocating for abolishment of LCBO. Like defund the police, it is a matter of degrees. They have a monopoly even when people may be better served by alternate models that never get a shot to succeed. Step one is breaking the monopoly. Let smart people see if they can make a viable business.
And get govt out of businesses that the private sector can run. I’d rather they focus on healthcare and transit infrastructures than liquor and weed.

For me, if I'm going to pay the same amount, I'd rather see all the profits either go into the public coffers or workers' paycheques. Plus, unless you like Bud, Smirnoff and Captain Morgan, the selection in Ontario is infinitely better. If you want anything unusual in Alberta, it requires a trip to a more specialty shop, which inevitably charges a significant premium.
This sums it right up for me about the LCBO. The selection we have in stores (or easily accessed via the LCBO) is awesome.

If they go on strike no worries for me, short drive to wine country and at least 3 distillers I buy products from via LCBO & many breweries close to home anyway.

Here's the plan. In short, non-issue for most people. Let them spend the entire summer baking in the sun. I hope doesn't doesn't fold and guarantee the jobs.

Free home delivery could be a good option for most but I assume that will get logjammed almost instantly. For those that leave the GTA regularly, it won't be hard to hit up a convenience outlet.

"Shopping with LCBO in the Event of a Strike

While LCBO would ensure continued customer service, it would not be business as usual. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding over the coming weeks.

To transition to an updated operations model, all LCBO retail locations will close for a period of 14 days.
On Friday, July 19, after the 14 days, 30 LCBO retail stores will begin to open for in-store shopping and operate three days a week (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) with limited hours in effect.

LCBO.com and our mobile app will continue to accept orders for free home delivery anywhere in Ontario for the duration of a strike.
Recognizing the impact of a strike on distribution and operations, the LCBO will need to institute reasonable caps on products in store and online.

An LCBO strike would not impact the approximately 2,300 private retail points of sale across the province, including through LCBO Convenience Outlets, licensed grocery stores, the Beer Store, and winery, brewery, cidery, and distillery outlets, as well as at bars and restaurants. LCBO Specialty Services and Duty-Free will also remain operational.

More information on the online and in-store shopping experience will be shared in the event of a strike."

I’m a little confused…so LCBO is shutting down for 2 weeks with or without a strike? Are they actually shutting down locations and only 30 will reopen and the rest are closed forever?

Not a huge deal as I stocked up yesterday with some whiskey and beer…

But will be visiting OCS more often now 😂😂😂

I’m a little confused…so LCBO is shutting down for 2 weeks with or without a strike? Are they actually shutting down locations and only 30 will reopen and the rest are closed forever?

Not a huge deal as I stocked up yesterday with some whiskey and beer…

But will be visiting OCS more often now 😂😂😂
If there is a strike, all unionized locations close for two weeks. After two weeks 30 open (and they will be a =/×<show).

You drive past at least one outlet on the way to the cottage so it's not a huge loss. Obviously selection is way down in an outlet but I'd rather lose access to 100 kinds of tequila for a few weeks than have a perpetual.increase in government payroll.

Last edited:
If there is a strike, all unionized locations close for two weeks. After two weeks 30 open (and they will be a =/×<show).

You drive past at least one outlet on the way to the cottage so it's not a huge loss. Obviously selection is way down in an outlet but I'd rather lose access to 100 kinds of tequila for a few weeks than have a perpetual.increase in government payroll.
Hmmm...not sure I know where this outlet is. Doesn't really matter as I don't drink much but it's weird for a Polak to have an empty bar when guests come over.

Back
Top Bottom