What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 187 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Pulled the gas tank* out of a GL1100 GoldWing. Without a gas tank the thing looks almost svelte.

* likely only riding a 1/2 mile at a time
6E33B0BE-5BF4-45E9-A6F9-D9934937D5B9-scaled.jpeg

Parts came in for cousins bike. Replaced the old stretched bolts with new (using a 1/4” ratchet).

Put in new fresh oil. Buttoned it up.

And of course the battery dropped to 10.8V so won’t start. FML.

Onto the trickle charger it goes.

Ok. I know that I've asked this before...but I can't find it within the 187 pages of posts here...

Since it doesn't look like the Scrambler is going anywhere, and I'm not interested in spending $500 on a hard luggage kit...

I'd like to mount my rigid GIVI E21 luggage to the current frames I have:

1721236490241.png

There are small racks there that these mount to, but I'd like to figure a way to securely mount the GIVI E21 to them, and also do my best to prevent water infiltration in case it rains.

I'm thinking of drilling a u-bolt and a small bracket on the inside in order to hold them together...lock nut with some spring washers. I don't want to put on any type of caulking or whatnot because I would expect these to be removable.

Thoughts? Sorry for the repeat but I can't find my posts.

Ok. I know that I've asked this before...but I can't find it within the 187 pages of posts here...

Since it doesn't look like the Scrambler is going anywhere, and I'm not interested in spending $500 on a hard luggage kit...

View attachment 68810

There are small racks there that these mount to, but I'd like to figure a way to securely mount the GIVI E21 to them, and also do my best to prevent water infiltration in case it rains.

I'm thinking of drilling a u-bolt and a small bracket on the inside in order to hold them together...lock nut with some spring washers. I don't want to put on any type of caulking or whatnot because I would expect these to be removable.

Pics of what you have would help. What hard points do the Givi bags expect to lock on to? How easily removable do you want them? This is probably an issue best solved with some head scratching and scrap metal.

View attachment 68810

Maybe post a picture of the Rack themselves without the bags.

You may need to incorporate something like this into your racks.
1721237845999.png

You may need to incorporate something like this into your racks.
View attachment 68811

$85 via F9 and NOT in stock
1721239695124.png

120PLN via allegro.pl which is about $41CAN.

Get your cousin to order it and your MIL to bring it back.

Most of the accessories on my VStrom were brought in via the motherland. Either family visiting or with other shipments from my cousin. Always cheaper.

1721239759796.png

Attachments

• 1721239741079.png
    1721239741079.png
    192.6 KB · Views: 6
$85 via F9 and NOT in stock
View attachment 68817

Most of the accessories on my VStrom were brought in via the motherland. Either family visiting or with other shipments from my cousin. Always cheaper.

View attachment 68819
Bought! MIL better fall within her weight limit of her luggage...

Bought! MIL better fall within her weight limit of her luggage...

I'm disappointed that we jumped straight to the pragmatic approach. You didn't even consider buying a lathe to turn those mushroom bobbin things yourself out of aluminum or delrin? (guy math)

I'm disappointed that we jumped straight to the pragmatic approach. You didn't even consider buying a lathe to turn those mushroom bobbin things yourself out of aluminum or delrin? (guy math)
One of the brackets is normal sized, the other is a miniature version which may require some McGyver work by dad as he’s got some new metal working tools….hes bored as I’m letting him rest too much this year with the Reno.

Reactions: Ash
One of the brackets is normal sized, the other is a miniature version which may require some McGyver work by dad as he’s got some new metal working tools….hes bored as I’m letting him rest too much this year with the Reno.
Yeah, I saw that they were asymmetrical. I've been trying to resist the guy-math urge to buy a welder for this sort of thing, so I'd probably just bolt a thick plastic chopping board to the bracket and bolt the bobbins to the board for a quick and ugly solution.

A much younger version of myself once used a 'no parking' street sign as a luggage rack base. Good strong metal in those =)

Yeah, I saw that they were asymmetrical. I've been trying to resist the guy-math urge to buy a welder for this sort of thing, so I'd probably just bolt a thick plastic chopping board to the bracket and bolt the bobbins to the board for a quick and ugly solution.

A much younger version of myself once used a 'no parking' street sign as a luggage rack base. Good strong metal in those =)
I’ve got a sheet of aluminum left over from when I put sections onto my trailer. Could cut that out and have a solid base for it…

I keep searching for the GIVI rack but it’s fairly expensive.

It’s not ugly if the bags stay on lol.

Believe it or not a couple Saturdays ago I ended up riding around with Ted Rose downtown before he came to hang out in my garage til almost midnight lol. I showed him my toys and how to use a rabaconda tire changer, not that he needs it, he just seemed curious to see what the kids are up to these days haha. Kind of one of those cool, Toronto motorcycle experiences, I'm glad I got to hang out with Ted. Got to see him in a new light.

It's not Milwaukee. It's not Makita or DeWalt. I'm not sure I even need it. But for $99.99, including two batteries, a charger, and a honking case, I couldn't say no. For the amount of use it will see, I expect it to be entirely suitable for my needs.

PXL-20240729-220812067.jpg

Available this week at the Home Hardware store in the Parkway Plaza, Victoria Park & Ellesmere in Scarborough. I think the deal is exclusive to that particular store.

I followed in @mimico_polak's footsteps and broke the head off a bolt doing an oil change on my KTM 🤬. Was able to get it out with a reverse drill bit, but took some time/patience to avoid ruining the threads and causing myself even more work. It was so satisfying watching that bolt on its way out, I actually threaded it back in so I could get it on video!

Back
Top Bottom