What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 185 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

My Husky 250 was unwilling to rev. Crack the throttle and pause, stumble, stumble go. According to people wiser than me (internet) the most common causes were plugged inline fuel filter, plugged in-tank fuel filter, and plugged injector.

In my case it was 2 of 3. The little inline filter took all of 1 minute to change and the in-tank one wasn't too bad although a little finicky getting the assembly positioned. I also replaced the spark plug since the manual said it was time.

All Fixed!!

So now it's back to being a pretty gutless little enduro that works wonderfully in the single track.
Isn’t it a 17ish tx/te250? Shouldn’t be gutless at all.

Isn’t it a 17ish tx/te250? Shouldn’t be gutless at all.
No, it's an FE250 so a 4 stroke.

I'm comparing it to my previous off road bikes, 300EXC (which was simply perfect) and a 530EXC which was too much in single track.

I should also point out that I'm not a small guy, so it's pushing some extra baggage.

I put a smaller countershaft sprocket on which helped, but it's not particularly robust in the lower and mid range. Pulls OK up top, but I find wringing it's neck is tiring.

It's still a nice single track bike because it handles well, is well suspended, relatively light and forgiving and when you get up to speed it's easy to maintain the pace, but it lacks that available "oomph" to quickly deal with unexpected obstacles.

Just some of the tools required to install a set of so called "universal fit" soft luggage.

It's okay with me, though; I expected nothing less, and any garage time is always a good time.

PXL-20240706-224307784-MP.jpg
The duct tape is mandatory! Universal fit my a..

This should have been a 5 minute job yesterday. Had to take off the old grips as I couldn’t persuade them on with the recommended water spray. Which meant bar weights had to come off and remembering how the Theottlemeister had to be adjusted as grips stuck out a bit. Swore like a mad man and sweat pouring in my eyeballs. Had these on an old bike years ago. Liked them then. I went out for a 3 hour ride today, (what a perfect day) Not sure I like them as much.
Grip Puppies
IMG_4694.jpegIMG_4695.jpeg

This should have been a 5 minute job yesterday. Had to take off the old grips as I couldn’t persuade them on with the recommended water spray. Which meant bar weights had to come off and remembering how the Theottlemeister had to be adjusted as grips stuck out a bit. Swore like a mad man and sweat pouring in my eyeballs. Had these on an old bike years ago. Liked them then. I went out for a 3 hour ride today, (what a perfect day) Not sure I like them as much.
Grip Puppies
View attachment 68694View attachment 68695

I have Oxford heated grips on my Guzzi. They are as hard as rocks, very uncomfortable at the end of a day long ride. Grip Puppies make things much more tolerable, though one must become accustomed to the increased diameter.

Easy enough to install with the help of an air compressor, but still a bit tedious. I always keep a couple of pairs on hand. Get 'em from China for two bucks!

I have Oxford heated grips on my Guzzi. They are as hard as rocks, very uncomfortable at the end of a day long ride. Grip Puppies make things much more tolerable, though one must become accustomed to the increased diameter.

Easy enough to install with the help of an air compressor, but still a bit tedious. I always keep a couple of pairs on hand. Get 'em from China for two bucks!
The diameter made it feel like a different bike at the beginning, like the handlebars were narrower. That went away after a few turns. I think there is less vibration through the bars.

$2 wow. I thought I had a deal getting them for $25 on sale at Motorcycle Innovations. These are British made, so should last longer right? 😂

Hey if you can share a link to the product I'd be interested. I've also heard CT sells foam grips for bicycles which will work on Motocycles as well, and are inexpensive.

Hey if you can share a link to the product I'd be interested. I've also heard CT sells foam grips for bicycles which will work on Motocycles as well, and are inexpensive.
Aliexpress. I got my hitch cover in 4 days last week ($1.19 on Alie vs $15 on Amazon/store) and my kickstand foot will be here this week ($10 vs $100).
I turned my stock trading advisor (multi-millionaire and cheap as f**k) on to them recently and very few days I’ll get a txt along the lines of “I just got a new chain grunge brush for $1.25 with free shipping, last one I bought was $25!).

No, it's an FE250 so a 4 stroke.

I'm comparing it to my previous off road bikes, 300EXC (which was simply perfect) and a 530EXC which was too much in single track.

I should also point out that I'm not a small guy, so it's pushing some extra baggage.

I put a smaller countershaft sprocket on which helped, but it's not particularly robust in the lower and mid range. Pulls OK up top, but I find wringing it's neck is tiring.

It's still a nice single track bike because it handles well, is well suspended, relatively light and forgiving and when you get up to speed it's easy to maintain the pace, but it lacks that available "oomph" to quickly deal with unexpected obstacles.
Sounds kinda boring, no? I like my dirtbike to try to kill me once in a while otherwise what’s the point?

Sounds kinda boring, no? I like my dirtbike to try to kill me once in a while otherwise what’s the point?

When you lack skillz like me, any dirtbike is capable of committing homicide.

Test rode a bunch of 2-strokes on a MX track. Did okay on a 300, but overshot a berm and went over the edge on a 125 trying to stay on the pipe.

Thankfully, no pictures or video... 😬

Grip Puppies
I've put a few of these over the years and WD40 is your friend. Spray the inside and slide them on. Same when taking them off - get a long screwdriver in and spray inside with those red long tips on the WD40 can. The WD40 eventually dries off and you're good.

Before buying the Grip Puppies, I bought the Aliexpress ones and they're too big on the inside (ie. interior diameter) and are useless ... maybe for a thick standard grip bike but I've got a few sets in the garage doing nothing.

I've put a few of these over the years and WD40 is your friend. Spray the inside and slide them on. Same when taking them off - get a long screwdriver in and spray inside with those red long tips on the WD40 can. The WD40 eventually dries off and you're good.

Before buying the Grip Puppies, I bought the Aliexpress ones and they're too big on the inside (ie. interior diameter) and are useless ... maybe for a thick standard grip bike but I've got a few sets in the garage doing nothing.
No glue? I've always borrowed a can of hair spray from the Squeeze. It works as lube to get them on then dries as glue.

No glue? I've always borrowed a can of hair spray from the Squeeze. It works as lube to get them on then dries as glue.
I've always used hairspray for grips.

The Grip Puppies aren't grips guys ... they go OVER your grips and are meant to not be as permanent as grips.

I guess hair spray can't hurt but they go on tight (as attested to by Sunday Rider, and me too) and I've never had an issue with them moving one bit without anything to make them stick.

The Grip Puppies aren't grips guys ... they go OVER your grips and are meant to not be as permanent as grips.

I guess hair spray can't hurt but they go on tight (as attested to by Sunday Rider, and me too) and I've never had an issue with them moving one bit without anything to make them stick.
OK then. I had thought Grip Puppies were just another name for Grab On style foam grips.

I had the WD40 in my hand and thought no, it says all you need is a water spray no air compressor required. Taking off the grips was easy with WD40, but wasn't sure what it would do to the foam on the puppies. To put the old grips on (with Puppies on top) I used dish soap. The next morning, even with the humidity it was dry and no slip.

Last edited:
If you look at the inside of the Grip Puppies they actually have a clear coating on them so it's not the same foam-type of surface as you have on the outside but I hear ya ... I also had a heck of a time putting them on with soap & water to the point I thought I'd rip them and then said "ok it's WD40 time!".

Back
Top Bottom