What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 186 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Great success! Took some patience and small adjustments but everything came out ok. The threads holding the filter appear to be fine, and I ordered 4 bolts for that, 13 bolts for the housing, and one gasket in case I needed the crankshaft taken apart…

1720485265478.jpeg

1720485280415.jpeg

I was able to thread in the remaining 3 bolts into each hole. This makes me believe the threads in the crankcase cover are fine…

What method did you use to remove the snapped bolt?

1720490193343.png

Great success! Took some patience and small adjustments but everything came out ok. The threads holding the filter appear to be fine, and I ordered 4 bolts for that, 13 bolts for the housing, and one gasket in case I needed the crankshaft taken apart…

View attachment 68711

View attachment 68712

I was able to thread in the remaining 3 bolts into each hole. This makes me believe the threads in the crankcase cover are fine…
Holy crap. Look at how much bolt 3 is stretched. At some point those became tty bolts. Not sure if that was by design or by gorilla.

Last edited:
What method did you use to remove the snapped bolt?

View attachment 68713
I tapped it with a small punch in a counterclockwise direction. One tap and it moved a few deg. Kept at it until there was enough ‘meat’ to use some pliers. Slowly kept turning until I could get my finger on it and just unscrewed it by hand.

I tapped it with a small punch in a counterclockwise direction. One tap and it moved a few deg. Kept at it until there was enough ‘meat’ to use some pliers. Slowly kept turning until I could get my finger on it and just unscrewed it by hand.
Well done. Glad you got it fixed without any damage to the threads.

Well done. Glad you got it fixed without any damage to the threads.
Thanks! They don’t seem to be damaged from threading in the old and the bolts go all the way to the end.

Just waiting for all the other bolts to come in. $18 for material. $18 for shipping.

Not many Honda motorcycle stores around here any more.

Thanks! They don’t seem to be damaged from threading in the old and the bolts go all the way to the end.

Just waiting for all the other bolts to come in. $18 for material. $18 for shipping.

Not many Honda motorcycle stores around here any more.
I generally switch to stainless Allen head bolts with spring lock washers - any local fastener supply house will have them in stock. Stainless bolts are less likely to corrode and those bolts don't have enough torque to gall threads.

I generally switch to stainless Allen head bolts with spring lock washers - any local fastener supply house will have them in stock. Stainless bolts are less likely to corrode and those bolts don't have enough torque to gall threads.
Thanks. I'm considering a switch to different style bolts even though I already ordered them.

I ordered everything on a 'just in case needed' basis I won't spend much more time on the bike. I assume the new bolts would have to be slightly longer simply due to the lock washer included?

Liked them then. I went out for a 3 hour ride today, (what a perfect day) Not sure I like them as much.
Grip Puppies

I had those on an RD350 years ago. Loved them.

Back in '98, I was coming back from my pal's business where we watched Scotland lose on a late O.G. to Brazil, and numerous aging dads gave me the olde thumbs up at traffic lights and told me how they had one ...

So, being chronically immature and a completely irresponsible arsehole, I proceeded to do stoplight wheelies for them. It was Markham road, so I had long stretches of clear, straight road. Eventually, I left a set of lights just north of Sheppard, and looped it. Sliding down the road on my arse, watching the bike continue on one was hilarious. When it finally dropped, not so much. Amongst other things, I had to purchase a new bar so I just put Yamaha grips and a Yamaha replacement brake lever on it.

Now that you have reminded me, I should look into putting those puppies on my RZ.

cew_20240711_165230.jpg
Was polishing my bike; there's still scratches at the top front. Looks ok after using a dremel and a polishing wheel with compound. I have comparison pics check the last two. one's cloudy the second is post polish.

Attachments

• cew_20240711_151825.jpg
    cew_20240711_151825.jpg
    984.6 KB · Views: 18
  • cew_20240711_152224.jpg
    cew_20240711_152224.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Picked up damaged track fairings for cheap, including the resin/hardener and fibreglass cloth. Basically payed for the fibreglass materiel and got the fairings for free
Never done fibreglass before but after watching a couple videos it seems like it’s just adult paper mache
IMG_2622.jpeg
IMG_2623.jpeg
IMG_2621.jpeg
The real test will be when I crash them how well my work holds up, though I see a lot of sanding/bodywork in my future to get them looking presentable again

Picked up damaged track fairings for cheap, including the resin/hardener and fibreglass cloth. Basically payed for the fibreglass materiel and got the fairings for free
Never done fibreglass before but after watching a couple videos it seems like it’s just adult paper mache
View attachment 68755
View attachment 68756
View attachment 68757
The real test will be when I crash them how well my work holds up, though I see a lot of sanding/bodywork in my future to get them looking presentable again
Adult paper mache with consequences. Make sure you have lots of ventilation and appropriate gloves.

Too late now... use a small dollar store paint roller for smoothing out the glass. a lot easier to get out the trapped air, leaves a better finish.
And again too late: for repair use the random matt glass fibre, it won't crack as easily. If you use that stuff be sure the second layer is put on on a bias to previous layer. Makes it stronger
When you're finished sanding, apply another layer of resin as a sealer... with a roller, as thin as you can. If you're GOOD with the finish, paint it, don't sand it again... or pigment the resin with the colour you want. Resin is a lot more damage resistant than paint

Too late now... use a small dollar store paint roller for smoothing out the glass. a lot easier to get out the trapped air, leaves a better finish.
And again too late: for repair use the random matt glass fibre, it won't crack as easily. If you use that stuff be sure the second layer is put on on a bias to previous layer. Makes it stronger
When you're finished sanding, apply another layer of resin as a sealer... with a roller, as thin as you can. If you're GOOD with the finish, paint it, don't sand it again... or pigment the resin with the colour you want. Resin is a lot more damage resistant than paint
I have a roller ready to go when I do the finished side of the bodywork, I’m not too concerned about the finish on the back side.
There will be another layer (or two) going on the backside for strength, one on the front get a flatter surface to work with.
The front is going to get glaze putty to even out the highs and lows, then I plan on repainting the whole set anyways. If they end up looking good from 10FT I’ll be pleased with my work

I have a roller ready to go when I do the finished side of the bodywork, I’m not too concerned about the finish on the back side.
There will be another layer (or two) going on the backside for strength, one on the front get a flatter surface to work with.
The front is going to get glaze putty to even out the highs and lows, then I plan on repainting the whole set anyways. If they end up looking good from 10FT I’ll be pleased with my work
Glaze putty is not the right choice for face side for fibreglass, it’s made for very small imperfections on bondo or metal. It’s very hard to fair because it’s harder than fiberglass.

Short strand body fill is best on the paint side of fibreglass bodywork, it doesn’t absorb moisture, block sands the same as fibreglass and it doesn’t need sealing.

There will be another layer (or two) going on the backside for strength,
Be sure to sand it with some course paper before the second layer. (not sure if CTC resin is waxed or not so just to be sure)

Back
Top Bottom