To be Canadian | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

To be Canadian

I took my son to a Cold Stone Creamery in August. The Indian girl working there was very nice and we talked a little. She revealed that she'd been in Canada for a few months and is really struggling to pay rent. She has to share a place with several others to afford it (I think she said 4 or 5 others). She managed to get part-time hours working at a Fortinos (on the books), and part-time hours at the Creamery where she's paid $10/hr off the books, while going to school. She's not happy about being lied to by Trudeau about the wealth of opportunity here. When paying with debit, as I was about to enter a tip, she stopped me. She said that the owner keeps all the tips. I wish I had cash on me to give her a decent tip. She deserves better.
This is still common, not 'that was then and this is now'. My kid has a diploma mill near his warehouse, he gets Indian college students regularly offering labour at $10/hr.

The fines need to be huge for people employing off the books workers . Make it tens of thousands . The underground economy is choking the rest of us . If you can’t run a legitimate business , it’s not a business, it’s organized crime .
This works, too, because I looked into deleting the emissions on my ecodesiel and was told by several shops they won't do it. One of them explained that the fines are so high that it bankrupts the shop.

My bad. I looked it up. It's called Marble Slab Creamery.

Edit: I won't share the exact location because, although I'd like the owner to get what he deserves, I don't want a struggle girl's life to get even harder when she looses her job.

Cold stone creamery was the failed partnership with Tim Hortons..
I wouldn't report something like that.. for the same reason you wouldn't.

I took my son to a Cold Stone Creamery in August. The Indian girl working there was very nice and we talked a little. She revealed that she'd been in Canada for a few months and is really struggling to pay rent. She has to share a place with several others to afford it (I think she said 4 or 5 others). She managed to get part-time hours working at a Fortinos (on the books), and part-time hours at the Creamery where she's paid $10/hr off the books, while going to school. She's not happy about being lied to by Trudeau about the wealth of opportunity here. When paying with debit, as I was about to enter a tip, she stopped me. She said that the owner keeps all the tips. I wish I had cash on me to give her a decent tip. She deserves better.
The old adage about assume meaning making an ASS out of U and ME. What's the last time a politician told the truth and the WHOLE truth, their batting averages for promises kept?

Does Tourism Toronto advertise the traffic jams, tent city parks, closed beaches after a storm, obscene accommodation rates, insane drivers?

The owner keeping the tips is totally crappy but would she be better off long term in India?

The biggest question is the value of the education she is getting. Is it a diploma mill flooding the already crowded market? A lot of them advertise "98% of graduates working in their high tech field" could mean working in the electronics part of an Amazon warehouse.

One of them explained that the fines are so high that it bankrupts the shop.
Google Diesel Brothers
... AND the MOT is cracking down on everything regulatory lately. When was the last time you saw anyone "rolling coal"?

Neighbour hood shop won't do safeties anymore, is giving up the concession, as it's just not worth the effort for $100... I don't know anybody doing safeties anymore... and I need a safety

The old adage about assume meaning making an ASS out of U and ME. What's the last time a politician told the truth and the WHOLE truth, their batting averages for promises kept?

Does Tourism Toronto advertise the traffic jams, tent city parks, closed beaches after a storm, obscene accommodation rates, insane drivers?
I saw Trudeau's video a couple years ago they released in Nigeria. It was bad. He claim Canada had over a million jobs it couldn't fill so we desperately needed Nigerian immigrants to come fill these positions. That's not an un-kept promise, that's an outright lie.

Google Diesel Brothers
... AND the MOT is cracking down on everything regulatory lately. When was the last time you saw anyone "rolling coal"?

Neighbour hood shop won't do safeties anymore, is giving up the concession, as it's just not worth the effort for $100... I don't know anybody doing safeties anymore... and I need a safety
Do you mean hot safeties? I know lots of shops in my city doing safeties, if you live near Brantford, and want a legit safety, I can recommend a shop.

My local mc shop is up to $135 for a safety inspection whether it passes or not, and I don't begrudge them in the least. The number of questionable machines that come to the door is astounding.

There’s an old saying, if you can’t feed em don’t breed em. That applies to most old stock Canadians , ( the ones Justin dislikes) because we have an expectation that they will attend school, have an interesting childhood and enter the work force headed to a better life than we had . It’s really expensive.
Then you have the folks my wife worked with , they can tell you to the nickle what that new baby is going to bring in with baby bonus and subsidies. Education is only in how to work the system. And the cycle continues.
The fines need to be huge for people employing off the books workers . Make it tens of thousands . The underground economy is choking the rest of us . If you can’t run a legitimate business , it’s not a business, it’s organized crime .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
The grift isn't even hidden anymore for residential work. Cash for an $8K roof. $5K for a small waterproofing job. The assumption is cash.

Do our governments even hide the scams, federal, provincial or municipal? Banana republic north.
Crime is a business with a risk factor. If the conviction rate or the penalty is high it becomes unprofitable. If you only get caught once a year and it's a $500 fine why stop the rip off.

Fighting crime means more government interference.

Make roofing require a building permit and suddenly there's a paper trail, inspection, WSIB compliance, working at heights training, legal workers.

It doesn't raise the price unrealistically. The honest, certified, WSIB covered, full paperwork contractor we got was cheaper than the cash and dash ones.

Google Diesel Brothers

The government also changed the rules for car/truck safeties, it's become a lot more strict and there are digital verification requirements now. I suspect a lot of shops who don't want to deal with that are opting out.

My local mc shop is up to $135 for a safety inspection whether it passes or not, and I don't begrudge them in the least. The number of questionable machines that come to the door is astounding.
What? They bring the vehicle? At my buddy's shop in the north west corner of the GTA they come to the door and:

"How much for a safety for my truck" (yellow sticker)

Tony "$XXX"

"OK can I have it now"

Tony "When can you bring the truck in?"

"??? Bring it in?? I just want the sticker."

Actually the shop has to pay for the forms and they aren't cheap. If you write something down in error the form is scrap.

This is still common, not 'that was then and this is now'. My kid has a diploma mill near his warehouse, he gets Indian college students regularly offering labour at $10/hr.

That happens every day, all day at our facilities... 100s of them a week... and it happens to a lot of companies I know.
We've got 50 or so diploma mills in our area.
I'm not saying it's not happening across the board.. but in most cases of it happening at major employers.. it is being done thru agencies.
I employ a couple international students.. just to turn away all the other international students that walk in looking for work.
I used to turn down 25K offers to write employment letters for permits.. these days I'm turning down 50-75K for a letter.

Do you mean hot safeties?
NO... not into that sort of thing thank you (it would be a LOT easier than fishin through miles of SRS wiring trying to find the short in the explosive seatbelt circuit. B0135) (having an explosive charge by my left hip as I drive... the times we live in....).
I am a firm believer in safeties and tech inspection at the track. I WANT inspection, if for nothing else to put another set of eyes on my work. I've done vehicle inspections for safeties, I know what's involved... but humans are not infallible, we make mistakes... HOPEFULLY two people don't make the SAME mistake.
The guy that does my bike safeties I have been going to for +35 yrs, we have an understanding (most of my stuff is old odd ball bikes that NO ONE else will even look at) and we always end up arguing about chain guards (pre '72 they're not required)... so the last bike he did for me was a '89... needs a chain guard... so I used about 3 rolls of duct tape and taped one on... we laugh still over that one... we're killing ourselves laughing and everyone else in the shop is WTF???? Why would anyone DO THAT?
I used to race with a guy who's shop was locally famous for getting "passes" on troublesome vehicles. If you couldn't get a pass, bring it to Bob, he can get anything "passed" LEGALLY, in the 25 yrs he had that shop I don't remember one vehicle failing (in the end). We did some crazy crap to get passes, all legal, a lot questionable, but got a legal pass. The car passed the government test

I suspect go far enough back, we were all decendants of immigrants . Mine just showed up 200+ yrs ago , on both sides. Kicked out of Scotland and left wales for religious freedom . Other side moved north from the US when the British lost the Americas . I think being Canadian includes tolerance, just because we got here before the Italian wave, the Irish wave , the Eastern euro wave and now the everybody else wave doesn’t mean it’s our beach . We didn’t have to fit in , there was nothing to fit into.
Be different, celebrate whatever you want , dress to suit your tradition. But for the love of God ( mine in this case) , leave the problems you left home for, at home. This is still one of the best places in the world to live . Keep it that way .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Canadian values = a mix of western European values, at least traditionally.

We are all descendants of immigrants. 70+ years ago most of those immigrants were from Europe, be it Ukrainians/Poles/Italians/Irish/Scottish/English/German/Hungarian etc. Despite vastly different cultural backgrounds, most of those countries share foundational beliefs in Christianity, some degree of democracy/self determination, rule of law, and so on. It's easier to assimilate those groups into one when there are shared values that transcend cultural differences.

Fast forward to today, many immigrants are coming from South/East Asia or the Middle East. Unfortunately those parts of the world still believe in any one of: discrimination based on social status/ethnicity, caste systems, religions stuck in the 9th century or older, cheating/corruption as part of every day life, might-is-right authoritarianism, treating women like dirt, etc. This isn't to say that these beliefs can't be shed upon arrival, but when large numbers of immigrants from these parts of the world arrive and establish clustered communities, the risk of cultural compatibility starts to creep up. Look no further than Indian guys driving around with Punjab/Haryana/Gujarat stickers on their car to see how integration into western society is failing.

I just want to point out; we talk about us white folks coming to the promised land to escape religious persecution... we came here to be MORE religious, those damned Europeans were heathens, not nearly god fearing enough
Somehow I always pictured it the other way around, but it gives the christian right some actual ammunition

First Nations people who live on a reserve and only have First Nations friends are also Canadians.
People who live in rural areas where there are zero or very few minorities are still Canadians even if everyone who lives in that town is white.

Toronto doesn't equal Canada.

Shocking, I know....
Also? ... that's mighty inclusive of you... today being the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation and all....
Having a nation day of truth and reconciliation is a pretty Canadian thing to do (the Aussies do one too... different truth, different first nation)
I am more virtuous than anyone else here. Diversity is our strenght. All cultures are relative. First nations communities need more diversity and inclusion! Did I say "diversity is our strenght"?...

NO... not into that sort of thing thank you (it would be a LOT easier than fishin through miles of SRS wiring trying to find the short in the explosive seatbelt circuit. B0135) (having an explosive charge by my left hip as I drive... the times we live in....).
I am a firm believer in safeties and tech inspection at the track. I WANT inspection, if for nothing else to put another set of eyes on my work. I've done vehicle inspections for safeties, I know what's involved... but humans are not infallible, we make mistakes... HOPEFULLY two people don't make the SAME mistake.
The guy that does my bike safeties I have been going to for +35 yrs, we have an understanding (most of my stuff is old odd ball bikes that NO ONE else will even look at) and we always end up arguing about chain guards (pre '72 they're not required)... so the last bike he did for me was a '89... needs a chain guard... so I used about 3 rolls of duct tape and taped one on... we laugh still over that one... we're killing ourselves laughing and everyone else in the shop is WTF???? Why would anyone DO THAT?
I used to race with a guy who's shop was locally famous for getting "passes" on troublesome vehicles. If you couldn't get a pass, bring it to Bob, he can get anything "passed" LEGALLY, in the 25 yrs he had that shop I don't remember one vehicle failing (in the end). We did some crazy crap to get passes, all legal, a lot questionable, but got a legal pass. The car passed the government test
Bob or Ted?

We are all descendants of immigrants. 70+ years ago most of those immigrants were from Europe, be it Ukrainians/Poles/Italians/Irish/Scottish/English/German/Hungarian etc. Despite vastly different cultural backgrounds, most of those countries share foundational beliefs in Christianity, some degree of democracy/self determination, rule of law, and so on. It's easier to assimilate those groups into one when there are shared values that transcend cultural differences.

Fast forward to today, many immigrants are coming from South/East Asia or the Middle East. Unfortunately those parts of the world still believe in any one of: discrimination based on social status/ethnicity, caste systems, religions stuck in the 9th century or older, cheating/corruption as part of every day life, might-is-right authoritarianism, treating women like dirt, etc. This isn't to say that these beliefs can't be shed upon arrival, but when large numbers of immigrants from these parts of the world arrive and establish clustered communities, the risk of cultural compatibility starts to creep up. Look no further than Indian guys driving around with Punjab/Haryana/Gujarat stickers on their car to see how integration into western society is failing.
This is the core differentiator between the Melting-Pot and Multicultural approach to immigration.

I've lived in both, I prefer the melting pot. I think it builds upon an existing culture and moves along at a pace that people can accept. Multiculturalism, particularly when it happens fast, preserves tension between cultures and creates tension if it presses against well-entrenched norms.

Pooping in public might be an overly sensational example, but it's an example that makes my point easy to understand. Not completely unacceptable to the culture doing the pooping, but highly undesirable to other cultures and for those who grew up with a higher degree of sanitation as their norm.

Television:

I came across an Indian video that showed the housewife working away in a kitchen, battered pots and pans, paint peeling off the walls, wobbly tables and chairs. But she had a colour TV and knew what stuff was available in the west.

My maternal grandparents came from Poland and Ukraine in the early 1900's ending up in rural Manitoba. They built a very basic house, no running water or central heat and wiring that would put ESA into fits. Not that it mattered as the only appliances I remember were light fixtures, a round radiant heater, and one of those manual toasters that doubled as a charcoal maker. All they knew was if you worked hard 16 hours day you had food to eat and a roof over your head. My grandmother died at 66 YO. She looked 86.

I don't think the Indian lady would be impressed by my grandparent's lifestyle. TV depicts an enviable life and they want it now. 90210 here we come, forget Little House on the Prairie.

Adder: One of my beefs is talking about rights without discussing responsibility. Those rights were paid for by responsible people. If you keep taking rights out of the social bank without replacing the responsibility you go bankrupt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom