To be Canadian | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

To be Canadian

Canadian values = a mix of western European values, at least traditionally.

We are all descendants of immigrants. 70+ years ago most of those immigrants were from Europe, be it Ukrainians/Poles/Italians/Irish/Scottish/English/German/Hungarian etc. Despite vastly different cultural backgrounds, most of those countries share foundational beliefs in Christianity, some degree of democracy/self determination, rule of law, and so on. It's easier to assimilate those groups into one when there are shared values that transcend cultural differences.

Fast forward to today, many immigrants are coming from South/East Asia or the Middle East. Unfortunately those parts of the world still believe in any one of: discrimination based on social status/ethnicity, caste systems, religions stuck in the 9th century or older, cheating/corruption as part of every day life, might-is-right authoritarianism, treating women like dirt, etc. This isn't to say that these beliefs can't be shed upon arrival, but when large numbers of immigrants from these parts of the world arrive and establish clustered communities, the risk of cultural compatibility starts to creep up. Look no further than Indian guys driving around with Punjab/Haryana/Gujarat stickers on their car to see how integration into western society is failing.
What are these modern religions of which you speak?

Xtianity, the religion of tolerance and love. So much better than all the other barbaric, backwards, heathen religions...
My God's better than your God, but then I'm a Frisbeeterian.
I believe that when you die your soul goes up on the roof or into a tree where no one can reach it.

For the record I'm an atheist and I think religion as a concept is mostly bunk. But I'm also not in the business of pretending that certain religions aren't more problematic than others.
How about June 2024?

And also, much closer to home:

Xtianity, the religion of tolerance and love. So much better than all the other barbaric, backwards, heathen religions...

Yes, the US has issues with small groups of Christian fundamentalists. But they aren't immigrating to Canada in large numbers. Meanwhile:

And for a different flavour (the current kingmaker in Parliament even denied this one for awhile):

For the record I'm an atheist and I think religion as a concept is mostly bunk. But I'm also not in the business of pretending that certain religions aren't more problematic than others.

Yes, the US has issues with small groups of Christian fundamentalists. But they aren't immigrating to Canada in large numbers. Meanwhile:

And for a different flavour (the current kingmaker in Parliament even denied this one for awhile):

Those small groups of Christian extremists are mostly responsible for interfering in women’s health care in the US and arguably prolonging the issues in the Middle East (through US policy). Since these issues are also arguably the most dangerous globally I’d say that’s quite a lot of influence these extremists have.

“The American Taliban” is a very apt name.

Not a popular thing to criticize Islam, while Christianity is always open season.
Think of what the Holy Roman Catholic Church has done over the centuries in the Name of God.
God (if one exists) doesn't kill people, people kill people - for all the wrong reasons.

The math is simple.

Zero population growth happens when the number of births equals the number of deaths.
A slight skew but a while back I figured out why the Bible came down so hard on homosexuality.

When it was written wars were fought by people with upper body strength throwing rocks at each other. The more rock throwers you had the more likely you were to win. Gays don't have kids and therefore are not doing their part. Domination by procreation.

Back
Top Bottom