To be Canadian | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

To be Canadian

Drinking Molson Canadian is stereotypical first generation immigrants.
I grew up in a transition neighbourhood. Immigrants would move in for a couple of years, find out where their ghetto was, then move out.
First the Irish, then Germans, then Italians, Greeks, Newfies, and much later east indians. After that the area became somewhat gentrified, and the public housing was mostly occupied by government workers of one sort or another. I'm sure we have relatives in some other countries, but I have no idea who or where they'd be. My wife on the other hand is a second generation Canadian, whose parents met on the boat.

I've noticed this primarily with first gen immigrants...at all the places I've worked in the past, it is not uncommon to see segmented groups of Filipinos, Indians, Russians, Tamils, Caribbean folk etc during lunch time. I've always attributed this to language barriers.

What gets me is folks who've lived here for 20+ years and still barely manage a few words of English. How is this even possible lol.
Yet some of them manage to somehow survive 2 hours of Church sermons without falling asleep 😅
This is most likely due to the fact that when they immigrated here, they worked and associated with their own cultures. Meaning they spoke their own language and were not forced to learn English.

If they got a job among English only speaking people they would be forced to learn it.

By they time they got to know the system and had everything taken care of, they usually figure that they can survive by pointing and to what they want and don't put the effort into learning the language. Also kids are often born or come over at a young age who learn English from school and end up taking care of everything for the parents.

Ask me how I know.
Speaking from experience. Immigrated here at the age of 10. Dad has been outside of motherland for 39 years, left at the age of 25. Mom has been outside of motherland for 30 years, left at 30.

Both can get by if they have to. Mom can actually communicate in English better but that's just on conversation level. Dad gets by because he has too.

I have been taking care of all paperwork and administrative stuff for them since I came here and started learning the language at the age of 10.
It helps that I actually sound like my dad over the phone.

Last edited:
Is this a good thing or bad thing?
I suspect that by the 3rd generation parental/cultural background do not have as much significance as they would have with the 1st or 2nd gen folk.
Having seen both, I prefer the melting pot model, mostly because it asks newcomers to accept and respect and build upon the customs and culture of their new country.

The multicultural model tends to create enclaves makes it harder to develop a distinct national culture and allows some unacceptable cultural practices to carry on.

Having seen both, I prefer the melting pot model, mostly because it asks newcomers to accept and respect and build upon the customs and culture of their new country.

The multicultural model tends to create enclaves makes it harder to develop a distinct national culture and allows some unacceptable cultural practices to carry on.

What are the culture and customs in the US? It’s not a place I associate with culture (in its snobby form). I don’t know that everyone assimilates there, it’s still a collection of other cultures from what I see and they stopped burning witches a while back so that custom has gone.

What are the culture and customs in the US? It’s not a place I associate with culture (in its snobby form). I don’t know that everyone assimilates there, it’s still a collection of other cultures from what I see and they stopped burning witches a while back so that custom has gone.
Football on Sundays. Flags on your porch for the 4th of July. Thanksgiving. Pickup trucks.

All cultures contribute to the mosaic, that’s one of the great things. But no cultures get to bring the bad stuff, and people are encouraged to mrlt in - not huddle in ethnic enclaves.

Let’s look at a concrete example. Brampton is struggling with stuffing 20+ people into single family homes. It’s the way it works in parts of India, but it’s not the way it works here. You could never do that in the US, but here we’re getting landlords protesting they are being oppressed by their white mayor, Mr. Brown.

That’s a fundamental difference between multicultural and melting pot strategy for assimilation .

Last edited:
Football on Sundays. Flags on your porch for the 4th of July. Thanksgiving. Pickup trucks.

All cultures contribute to the mosaic, that’s one of the great things. But no cultures get to bring the bad stuff, and people are encouraged to mrlt in - not huddle in ethnic enclaves.

Let’s look at a concrete example. Brampton is struggling with stuffing 20+ people into single family homes. It’s the way it works in parts of India, but it’s not the way it works here. You could never do that in the US, but here we’re getting landlords protesting they are being oppressed by their white mayor, Mr. Brown.

Soccer is more popular I think now. Especially with the younger generation/latinos and more so with young girls too. I’m not sure these customs totally endure. Maybe the flags but even that morphed from something patriotic to something way more nationalistic in terms of whose version of the US is most sacrosanct. It’s happening here too sadly.

One thing I like when I visit is sitting in an old fashioned diner and having a slice of home made pie. That’s very “American” to me. The other thing I like is the great Latino food you can get, but that’s not the same thing. That just saves me the flight time heading to those countries!

That’s a fundamental difference between multicultural and melting pot strategy for assimilation .

Frathouses?

butter tarts
a sacrifice to be Australian ....😢 also root beer.

Canada is a mosaic and the enclaves that keep immigrants able to carry on for a life time I think is a strong feature for our policies.
Leave the violence behind, bring the culture.

Biggest failure IMNSHO is treatment of Canadian First Nations.

Next is profiling people of colour across way too many institutions....the Mounties are a disgrace, so many stories of corrupt or "blue wall" cop behaviour. OPP and QPP all have blots on their records.

No elected upper house is distorting Canada's democratic structure......any fix is horridly complex thanks to BNA hangover.

Toronto used to be whitebread ...then the GTA changed and it's a wonderful polyethnic mix. 212 languages :eek:

Australia has struggled with multi-culturalism as there is no consistent gov policy as there has been in Canada.

I do miss buttertarts....😍

What's the difference between the U.S. and yogurt ? I live in a neighborhood that is predominantly Greek heritage, when I hear 'in my country' I lose it. THIS is your country, get used to it. When my in-laws came to Canada after WW2 they didn't get to pick where they went, the guv chose for them and they had to learn and assimilate. Is that the best way, I don't know ?

What's the difference between the U.S. and yogurt ? I live in a neighborhood that is predominantly Greek heritage, when I hear 'in my country' I lose it. THIS is your country, get used to it. When my in-laws came to Canada after WW2 they didn't get to pick where they went, the guv chose for them and they had to learn and assimilate. Is that the best way, I don't know ?

I never understood why people would move here, then complain as if life was so much better "back home". If it was so good, they can go back.

I never understood why people would move here, then complain as if life was so much better "back home". If it was so good, they can go back.
I'm actually seeing a larger number of people leaving Canada now in our friend group. I'd say within the last year it's about 5-10 in our larger circle of friends (all back to Poland) because they don't like what's happening to this country.

Now...I've also seen 1-2 of them come back because they can't find their way back there...which is too bad because they sold everything and now can't find houses / afford the mortgage.

I'm actually seeing a larger number of people leaving Canada now in our friend group. I'd say within the last year it's about 5-10 in our larger circle of friends (all back to Poland) because they don't like what's happening to this country.
I see Poland as a special case... at the moment.
I think a lot of people left Poland as Poland had "lost it's way". Poland is NOW trying to re-invigorate itself, back to it's past glory, and a lot of people want to be part of that, even non Poles. Poland seems to have taken it upon themselves to save Europe. Canada is spending $8.5 billion on military this year, Poland spends close to $20 billion. There's jobs in Poland.

a sacrifice to be Australian ....😢 also root beer.
Sarsaparilla and Rootbeer have been the same for decades!
Canada is a mosaic and the enclaves that keep immigrants able to carry on for a life time I think is a strong feature for our policies.
Leave the violence behind, bring the culture.
The problem isn't just violence. Ethnic enclaves often preserve some of the undesirable things that Canada finds unacceptable. Closed dealing, property standards, living conditions, driving habits, suppression of rights and freedoms, labour exploitation...
Biggest failure IMNSHO is treatment of Canadian First Nations.
It is a big failure... on both sides.
Next is profiling people of colour across way too many institutions....the Mounties are a disgrace, so many stories of corrupt or "blue wall" cop behaviour. OPP and QPP all have blots on their records.
Policing in North America needs overhauling. I have no idea how that can be done.
No elected upper house is distorting Canada's democratic structure......any fix is horridly complex thanks to BNA hangover.
Perhaps PP will abolish the Senate.
Toronto used to be whitebread ...then the GTA changed and it's a
wonderful polyethnic mix. 212 languages :eek:
Yup, awesome. I enjoy every bit of it - the discussions, food, celebrations. About the only thing I don't like is the massive expansion of ethnic enclaves. In a multicultural city, I'd rather live amongst neighbours that represent a vibrant mix of cultures -- not a mono-culture enclave. It's also hard to watch whole communities get ethnically sieged.
Australia has struggled with multi-culturalism as there is no consistent gov policy as there has been in Canada.

I do miss buttertarts....😍

I kind of agree except an Indigenous person doesn't get the day off unless they live in BC or work as a Federally regulated employee.

Sadly most federal employees aren't out learning truths or reconciling today, more likely to be doing things like surfing Tofino.
What bothers me is the federal employees whose predecessors caused the problem get the day off at a payroll cost of probably $100 million as a reward (In perpetuity) . Most of the victims get nothing.

I see Poland as a special case... at the moment.
I think a lot of people left Poland as Poland had "lost it's way". Poland is NOW trying to re-invigorate itself, back to it's past glory, and a lot of people want to be part of that, even non Poles. Poland seems to have taken it upon themselves to save Europe. Canada is spending $8.5 billion on military this year, Poland spends close to $20 billion. There's jobs in Poland.
Well put. Poland is going through a change and frankly the only reason I’m not going back is because I’m scared to.

Been 30+ years since I’ve been there. With very well off family and connections I’m sure I could find my way. Plus selling our house here and buying a modest house there…not even sure I’d need to work any more.

The plan is once we get older to move there anyway as we have so many friends and family there (outside my sister)…but that means we’d probably have to leave the kids here solo, and my wife won’t like that.

Back
Top Bottom