Time for a new ride... (ideas welcome!) | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time for a new ride... (ideas welcome!)

Yes.

Also yes.

To be fair, the conclusion I've come to in this thread and looking at a bajillion classifieds is that what I really want is a Griso, but as one isn't available in my budget and locally RIGHT NOW, I'm trying to work my head around something else. The top logical choices are clearly the Street Triple and VFR, for value, meeting my needs, and personal curb appeal. The first for fun factor and dirt cheap insurance (@matt365 was right, they're ridiculously cheap), the second for do-it-all universality and ride it for the rest of your life durability.

As a practical purchase, the Griso is ridiculous. Piaggio parts chain questions (though they were always fine with my Aprilia), air cooled, expensive insurance, bad on gas, heavy, not overly comfortable, a bit spendy by comparison (though there are some out west that seem quite fairly priced). But I keep coming back to it as just the right balance of 'character' (whatever that means), sporty-ish but not overly so, unique (very), torque-ey motor that's happy to lug along, and stacks of curb appeal (for me, natch). Early 8V models had a terminal valve tappet issue, but they eventually fixed that with rollers, which can apparently be retrofitted into the earlier models to make them dead reliable.

Anyway, the hunt continues, but if anyone sees a reasonably priced Griso come up for sale, please shoot me an alert. There's a newer one locally for $8500, but I'm seeing similar (maybe a bit older) ones asking $6-7k out west, so I'm going to hold out for something in that price range.

Meanwhile, if a VFR, or Striple, or FZ1, or 1090 SMT, or ZRX11/1200, etc comes up at an unbeatable price, who knows?
I let a friend ride my Str675r... she put it into a ditch.

Financial loss, but wasn't worth the buyback.

Counts as an "at fault" for me, even though she has a comparable bike with full insurance, and she was at fault for her single vehicle accident.

Just as a back-story...

I went and bought a replacement in Quebec.

Seems to be more reasonably priced street triples there. It was worth the 12h round trip.

Locally, most sellers wanted $6500, with more km. The Quebec bike needed a few things, but nothing was a deal breaker.

Might want to consider doing the same.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Take your pick. Worth it to save $1500
be0f4f7aee5a4d7d76a06025e959ec6f.jpg
ba109d377dde295a14688a07df99f860.jpg
97d236f93bf65b9dd505ba7c032dcb4c.jpg
223d6eaaeccad629e56fcac0259e8cac.jpg

I let a friend ride my Str675r... she put it into a ditch.

Financial loss, but wasn't worth the buyback.

Counts as an "at fault" for me, even though she has a comparable bike with full insurance, and she was at fault for her single vehicle accident.

Just as a back-story...

I went and bought a replacement in Quebec.

Seems to be more reasonably priced street triples there. It was worth the 12h round trip.

Locally, most sellers wanted $6500, with more km. The Quebec bike needed a few things, but nothing was a deal breaker.

Might want to consider doing the same.

why didn't you just have you friend buy the bike off you or give up hers?

any who, probably not worth discussing personal business on here, but i wouldn't stick my friend with an insurance L if it was my mistake.

I’ve always liked the last generation FZ1. They look sporty with the aluminum frame, they’re super reliable, around 100hp but tuned for midrange. They don’t sell well so low mile ones can be had for $5ish. Seems to fit your needs.
The old carbed Bandit 1200’s are a great option as well. Also don’t sell well so nice ones can be had for under $2k.

2022 Ducati 950 super sport , original and super clean , 436kms from new . 10k firm . This is what you need , DM for my address….

No lowballers. He knows what he has. Lady driven. Highway miles only. Never seen rain. Mint. Previous owner only dropped it from a standstill. Needs nothing to certify.

Never lady driven, never seen rain, about 6 kms of highway driving , dealer to my house , I’m the only previous owner , it’s pretty mint , lives on a trickle charger ( it’s actually a Ducati charger , so extra fast )

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

You guys talking about the street triple is getting me interested. I am planning on upgrading my and my wifes bikes for this coming season.

Are there any specific years, models that are the better ones?

I hate threads like these.

OP has specific parameters.

People who reply usually ignore these parameters and it becomes a "this is my dream bike" thread... which then turns into a "man, maybe I should totally buy my dream bike"...

This is going to get expensive. And not for @Priller... :(
Funny, because I skimmed Kijiji for anything interesting for this thread and I didn't turn up anything good for Priller. BUT

Somewhat rare red 1983 GS1100E. It has a Windjammer on it but seller says they still have the parts to revert it. Only $3000! I would be thinking about it if I didn't already have more bikes than I should

You guys talking about the street triple is getting me interested. I am planning on upgrading my and my wifes bikes for this coming season.

Are there any specific years, models that are the better ones?
Earlier ones ('12-) were geared lower, so they're a little more rowdy.

Identical engines.

Mine is a '14. I'm satisfied.

@Priller the 675 takes regular fuel. I'm getting around 5.2L/100km when I'm easy on it.

That might push you over the edge. The Tuono takes premium, and as you know, its thirsty.

Back
Top Bottom