Time for a new ride... (ideas welcome!) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time for a new ride... (ideas welcome!)

They made them up until 2013. They have a great owners group too. I think it is a very undervalued sport tourer with all day riding comfort.
They are terrific bikes, but they are also Hondas. Reliable, practical, a few weird features - but little boring. Great range and mileage, awesome wind and rain protection, good performance. Downsides are they are insanely hot to ride, fugly when you remove bags, twitchy at speed with head or sidewinds. They hang with Connie’s, FJRs, or BMW-Ks munching miles on slabs, not do much your running hard and fast.

- SV650: The obvious choice, though I think I'd prefer something a bit more unique and interesting. This is the emergency option.

If the SV is on the list, so should this:

DUCATI-Monster-S4RS-Tricolore-11862_3.jpg

Well, maybe not *this* one specifically, but maybe a cheaper, less license-endangering variant?

Bandit 12 is in there with a carbureted FZ1 as bikes I've got an eye out for but aren't quite at the point where I'll set up an alert on Kijiji or whatever. It's actually a better fit for my needs than an FJR, if only because it makes for a better quick ride bike. Not very pretty, though, at least with the bikini fairing. And if I got a naked one, I'd be forever compelled to streetfighter it...
While I'm certainly biased toward the carb'd FZ1, this Triumph might be fun and you might think it looks nicer than the FZ1:
1727222363947.png

If you did go for an FZ1, you could probably negotiate this one down a bit. Seems to be in very nice shape with a lower fairing and Yoshi.

1727223758501.png

They made them up until 2013. They have a great owners group too. I think it is a very undervalued sport tourer with all day riding comfort.
I don't dispute that they are good bikes, or that they can tolerate high mileage. I'm pretty sure I've seen much better deals on ST1300s though. I know I've seen some I had to seriously consider myself

I don't dispute that they are good bikes, or that they can tolerate high mileage. I'm pretty sure I've seen much better deals on ST1300s though. I know I've seen some I had to seriously consider myself
I was just using that as an example ( it is at a dealership too). For sure cheaper privately.
I know the heat issue comes up as a big issue but not all of them seem to suffer from this.
I love my simpler ST1100. 😂

They are hard to come by but a Fazer8/FZ8 might do you nicely
I'll keep my eyes peeled, but have heard bad things about the snatchy Yamaha fuelling of that era. Not sure if that's an issue with the 8.
My son had the last of the FZ8. 2013 reviews called it "magic".
Yamaha put all the correct upgrades from previous versions.

There is one

He liked the ergos better than the MT09 triple that was replacing the FZ8.
He took it cross country with me, mind you with a Shad seat.
He packed his diabetic supplies - my Vstrom did the rest.
Screen Shot 2024-09-25 at Sep, 25    2024    11.13.38 AM.jpg
The Shad drying rack was very useful. I'm partial to inline 4s. I'd love to own a Honda VTec 4/400 here in Aus but they are STILL too pricey.

I was just using that as an example ( it is at a dealership too). For sure cheaper privately.
I know the heat issue comes up as a big issue but not all of them seem to suffer from this.
I love my simpler ST1100. 😂
They all suffer from heat. I joke around with one of my riding buddies about the heat. My FJR is also like riding a furnace, but nothing like an ST 1300. They are so hot that they cook their batteries refilling twice over the summer and changing cooked batteries every 2-3 years.

I had one in Australia before I knew better, it was leaning over a open oven. 😰
It was wonderful at 150 kph, not so agile tho. When I found out a decent day ride was costing $45 in fuel....it got sold.
Cops here seem to like them but if I recall they had a high speed wobble problem in Europe due to loading the cop gear.

I know you said no BMW but this bike is the only one I would love to own.
Upright seating and an "ultimate sleeper" look and power.
87c964b7-2cac-461c-baec-e1fe7449906e

Lose the luggage for much fun
S 1000 XR [2018-2019] Model Image

Last edited:
Have been looking at a ton of postings, and you can tell the bottom fell out of the used bike market when many listings are two to four months old. It's rare to see anything under three weeks.

What about a Honda ST1300. Checks most of the boxes and on the cheaper side of your budget
Great bikes, but like the FJR, probably a bit too focused on the pure touring side for what I'm looking for. The reality is 90% plus of the riding I'll be doing will either be half-day weekend routes around Niagara and down along Lake Erie or the (very) occasional commute into Toronto. Long distance ability is secondary but still nice to have if I can get it. And as mentioned, would like to be able to go for a few hours without having to hunt for gas...

Speaking as the owner of a 2007 Honda 919 that has a bunch of discontinued parts, I don't know if a 19 year old 80,000km ST1300 is worth $5500
Ah, the 919 would be a great bike. Surprised to hear parts are tough to get, they sold a boatload in Europe, and Honda has historically been the best of the lot for stocking spares.

Any interest in pure dirt?
Yes, definitely, but have never been sure where to start around Hamilton for enduro or trail riding...

If the SV is on the list, so should this:

DUCATI-Monster-S4RS-Tricolore-11862_3.jpg

Well, maybe not *this* one specifically, but maybe a cheaper, less license-endangering variant?
Ha! You picked a pretty one. Lots of 696 models kicking around, but the one Monster I rode had a riding position I didn't gel with at all. Squished up legs, wide tank, and a loooooong reach to the bars, like I was humping a vault horse. Not sure which do and don't have that setup.

VFR800 all the way. Find a nice low mileage unit and ride forever.
Low mileage meaning <80,000k? Hard to find the gen I'm looking at with less than 40,000 on the clocks, but considering the age, that's actually not too much per year. It's definitely top-three, and unlike the Guzzi, there are plenty of options out there. Still looks the business, too, though that's probably me showing my age...

While I'm certainly biased toward the carb'd FZ1, this Triumph might be fun and you might think it looks nicer than the FZ1:
View attachment 69946
Definitely up there, and good value. Those headlights would have to go, though. Arrow exhaust is a natural fit, too.

If you did go for an FZ1, you could probably negotiate this one down a bit. Seems to be in very nice shape with a lower fairing and Yoshi.

View attachment 69947
Bumblebee paint! Just need a King Kenny replica helmet to complete the set. That's a beaut.

I know you said no BMW but this bike is the only one I would love to own.
Upright seating and an "ultimate sleeper" look and power.
87c964b7-2cac-461c-baec-e1fe7449906e
That's not a heck of a lot less than what I sold the Tuono for! Won't be any cheaper on insurance, either. Definitely a speedy way to get from A to B, but not for me. I'm looking to slow down and smell the horse pucky, not get frustrated by weirdly low speed limits and weekend tourist traffic. Good price for that one, though, especially with the luggage...

That's not a heck of a lot less than what I sold the Tuono for! Won't be any cheaper on insurance, either. Definitely a speedy way to get from A to B, but not for me. I'm looking to slow down and smell the horse pucky, not get frustrated by weirdly low speed limits and weekend tourist traffic. Good price for that one, though, especially with the luggage...
I'd put the XR up there if you`re already considering a Ninja 1000. Expensive, but it is a decent do it all bike with a very interesting sounding inline 4.
Maybe put the Multistrada 1200 up there. @Hardwrkr13 has owned both i believe and can comment more.

How about a Yamaha FZ8?
Lots of juice, not a sport bike, Yamaha reliability…

Have been looking at a ton of postings, and you can tell the bottom fell out of the used bike market when many listings are two to four months old. It's rare to see anything under three weeks.

I’ve always bee intrigued with R100s. 2 years ago you couldn’t touch a project for under $5k. I’ve seen a couple of certifiable low milers in nice shape for $3k.

Might be time to start looking for a Vincent.

Ah, the 919 would be a great bike. Surprised to hear parts are tough to get, they sold a boatload in Europe, and Honda has historically been the best of the lot for stocking spares.
Ehhhhh it's not the most exciting bike. Coming from a Tuono it will put you to sleep

I'd put the XR up there if you`re already considering a Ninja 1000. Expensive, but it is a decent do it all bike with a very interesting sounding inline 4.
Maybe put the Multistrada 1200 up there. @Hardwrkr13 has owned both i believe and can comment more.
It's about a 40% bump in power over the Ninja and about 80% more expensive than the early Kawi models I'm looking at. The only area they seem to be on par is insurance, as companies seem to be confused by the 'Ninja' moniker and have made it quite expensive.

An older Multi 12 would definitely hit the sporty but not too sporty sweet spot I'm hunting for. Not my favourite bike looks-wise, mind. Will keep an eye open for bargains.

How about a Yamaha FZ8?
Lots of juice, not a sport bike, Yamaha reliability…
I've seen a few, but I have to confess, the closer I've looked, the more the newish FZ and MT models from Yamaha leave me cold styling-wise (excepting the Tracer variants, which I quite like). They seem like excellent bikes, and great value, but nothing about them makes me want to own one. It's not outright disgust like I have with some other bikes, it's just.... meh. Can't explain it except that I'm a fickle a**hole...

I’ve always bee intrigued with R100s. 2 years ago you couldn’t touch a project for under $5k. I’ve seen a couple of certifiable low milers in nice shape for $3k.

Might be time to start looking for a Vincent.
Now seems to be a solid time to buy any discretionary spending item in general. Have watched vintage guitar and luxury watch prices stagnate and plummet lately. Sure, there's lots for sale at the old, high prices, but they're not selling. They sit for months and months and months. Not sure how much things will bounce back as rates continue to plummet, freeing up HELOCs to ignore the future again, but I suspect it will be quite muted compared to the Covid Bacchanal.

Ehhhhh it's not the most exciting bike. Coming from a Tuono it will put you to sleep
I don't mind a bit sleepy, though. A big part of the problem with the Tuono was its nature compelled speed, which my license (and, by extension, career) couldn't risk. So I'd ride with my left elbow on the tank, stuck in fourth, quietly hating the lardy SUV I was stuck behind, who was actually doing the bizarrely low 40 km/h limit where the few corners actually exist on a nearby country road. Many of the roads in Niagara have dropped their limits to 60 from 80, which means hitting 100 is enough to cost me my license. I could do 100 on those roads standing on my head (not a brag, they were designed to be 80, which means people used to do 100 on them all day long).

I want something I can do 60 on and enjoy the sun, smells and view without a constant urge to up the pace. It meant I just wasn't riding anymore, because it had become the motorcycling equivalent of blue balls. The Aprilia was the smoking hot girl with a fiery personality I had a crush on whose parents were nearby and only wanted to be friends. To torture an awkward analogy, I need a mellower girl who wants to talk about art and go for leisurely walks...

Great bikes, but like the FJR, probably a bit too focused on the pure touring side for what I'm looking for. The reality is 90% plus of the riding I'll be doing will either be half-day weekend routes around Niagara and down along Lake Erie or the (very) occasional commute into Toronto. Long distance ability is secondary but still nice to have if I can get it. And as mentioned, would like to be able to go for a few hours without having to hunt for gas...

Yes, definitely, but have never been sure where to start around Hamilton for enduro or trail riding...

Ha! You picked a pretty one. Lots of 696 models kicking around, but the one Monster I rode had a riding position I didn't gel with at all. Squished up legs, wide tank, and a loooooong reach to the bars, like I was humping a vault horse. Not sure which do and don't have that setup.

Low mileage meaning <80,000k? Hard to find the gen I'm looking at with less than 40,000 on the clocks, but considering the age, that's actually not too much per year. It's definitely top-three, and unlike the Guzzi, there are plenty of options out there. Still looks the business, too, though that's probably me showing my age...

Definitely up there, and good value. Those headlights would have to go, though. Arrow exhaust is a natural fit, too.

Bumblebee paint! Just need a King Kenny replica helmet to complete the set. That's a beaut.

Check out the Schedule on our website.
There are a bunch of places not too far from Hamilton. Mostly trials tho. We have a competition Oct 6th in Troy. Feel free to pm for any more info.

Not sure how much things will bounce back as rates continue to plummet, freeing up HELOCs to ignore the future again, but I suspect it will be quite muted compared to the Covid Bacchanal.

LOL.

I think what we're seeing now is the hangover from the COVID Bacchanal. Lines of Credit do have their limits and people have been paying back their maxed out loans - interest-only - for a few years now, ever since rates shot up. Not to mention COL has gone up due to rampant inflation.

Can't squeeze any more blood from the stone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom