Time for a new ride... (ideas welcome!) | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time for a new ride... (ideas welcome!)

I was in the same boat.

Sold my 2017 Tuono.

Went single bike for a bit (not long...)

Rode my wr250x, pinned everywhere.

Got a cheap 600 to fix and thrash, but it didn't turn my crank, unless it was at full song; but then everyone knew I was speeding...

Tried everything I could get my hands on in the middleweight category.
Various 600ss
Fz09
Sv650
Fz6

Really liked the fz07.

100hp is the sweet spot.
Traded the gsxr600 for a street triple 675r.

I've been happy so far, although sustained higher speeds really work the neck muscles.

Str675r feels like the fz07 and my gsxr600 had a baby.

If you get one, find an R. Better suspension.

Surprisingly cheap insurance. I guess not alot of squids ride and crash street triples.

765 street triple nearly doubled the insurance... Apparently its a "sportbike"...

b859b95d4e13c189d7360dc3f1f2bd01.jpg
32771904502135eee2d30c95b6d9fda6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

How about a 1050 Speed Triple?

I had an 05 and HOOO BOY that engine!!!!!

It's an excellent street bike. Comfortable enough for longer rider, great brakes and suspension, distinctive - maybe a little weird styling, and lots of character, and the exhaust note even with stock exhaust is sublime and not loud. Smooth, powerful enough and quick when you want it.

It is a willing "putter about" bike, but on occasion it does encourage more robust riding.

1727271891526.png

I’ve always bee intrigued with R100s. 2 years ago you couldn’t touch a project for under $5k. I’ve seen a couple of certifiable low milers in nice shape for $3k.

Might be time to start looking for a Vincent.
The first motorcycle that I ever looked at buying was a HRD/Vincent twin. The used car dealer wanted $200 for it but as it had no rear chain a test ride was not possible. So I passed on it, bought a second hand (`1 year old) Ariel Colt for $300. It was a much better commuting bike and got 100 mpg. (This was back in 1958.)
The riding position on Vincents was OK for me - as I found out later - since I have short legs and longish arms. But my friend with a "B" Shadow that he let me ride is 6'5" and with the stock flat bars it was purgatory for him to ride very far. He didn't keep it long.
I did have a '74 R90/6 BMW for some years and later a '78 R100/7 which were both excellent used bikes with all the performance I needed - or wanted. 60 mpg both of them.
AFJ

Agree, with whats been said, an older speed or street triple R could work, no one has mentioned an older 990 superduke :oops:
I imagine its a riot, and can probably be had close to your budget

990 SMT, SM, SMR, SD - all the same motor and frame, so pick your suspension and tank size.
I wonder if this is so, having ridden various versions of the 1290 I found them to have a different feel

I was in the same boat.

Sold my 2017 Tuono.

Went single bike for a bit (not long...)

Rode my wr250x, pinned everywhere.

Got a cheap 600 to fix and thrash, but it didn't turn my crank, unless it was at full song; but then everyone knew I was speeding...

Tried everything I could get my hands on in the middleweight category.
Various 600ss
Fz09
Sv650
Fz6

Really liked the fz07.

100hp is the sweet spot.
Traded the gsxr600 for a street triple 675r.

I've been happy so far, although sustained higher speeds really work the neck muscles.

Str675r feels like the fz07 and my gsxr600 had a baby.

If you get one, find an R. Better suspension.

Surprisingly cheap insurance. I guess not alot of squids ride and crash street triples.

765 street triple nearly doubled the insurance... Apparently its a "sportbike"...

b859b95d4e13c189d7360dc3f1f2bd01.jpg
32771904502135eee2d30c95b6d9fda6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Now this is a reply! Sounds like you have gone down a number of the paths I've considered, and I can skip the supermoto and 600 SS. You're right about the 675 Street Triple and insurance, too. It's similarly priced to the SV while being a lot more bike.

Was told today by someone at Allstate that the Griso is classed as a "Naked Supersport", which nearly made me spit out my coffee. When she quoted me over $2300 to insure one, I actually did spit out my coffee.

How about a 1050 Speed Triple?

I had an 05 and HOOO BOY that engine!!!!!

It's an excellent street bike. Comfortable enough for longer rider, great brakes and suspension, distinctive - maybe a little weird styling, and lots of character, and the exhaust note even with stock exhaust is sublime and not loud. Smooth, powerful enough and quick when you want it.

It is a willing "putter about" bike, but on occasion it does encourage more robust riding.

View attachment 69951
The one in your pic is actually my favorite ever, and has some of the nicest stock rims to ever come on a bike. Weirdly, Triumph changed them to some of the ugliest stock rims for the last of that generation with those bizarre egg beater ones. Excellent shout, and one I'll keep an eye out for. Was originally thinking it'd be a bit too similar to the Tuono, but it's nearly 50 HP down, which is about right.

Digging through ads, I've added the ZRX1200 to my list, but folks seem to be asking an awful lot for the green ones ..

Now this is a reply! Sounds like you have gone down a number of the paths I've considered, and I can skip the supermoto and 600 SS. You're right about the 675 Street Triple and insurance, too. It's similarly priced to the SV while being a lot more bike.

Was told today by someone at Allstate that the Griso is classed as a "Naked Supersport", which nearly made me spit out my coffee. When she quoted me over $2300 to insure one, I actually did spit out my coffee.

The one in your pic is actually my favorite ever, and has some of the nicest stock rims to ever come on a bike. Weirdly, Triumph changed them to some of the ugliest stock rims for the last of that generation with those bizarre egg beater ones. Excellent shout, and one I'll keep an eye out for. Was originally thinking it'd be a bit too similar to the Tuono, but it's nearly 50 HP down, which is about right.

Digging through ads, I've added the ZRX1200 to my list, but folks seem to be asking an awful lot for the green ones ..
Yeah, I've lusted after the ZRX's myself. There's currently a couple within your budget parameters. Relaxed ergos, "guts and glory" motor, retro cool and versatile enough for light touring.

I've warmed up to the red ones though. The old GPZ colors harken back to the 1982 GPZ750 (below) which was a bike I REALLY wanted back in the day and regret never getting. Personally, I think I might get tired of the green, while the red simply triggers some warm and satisfying nostalgia.

Jeez.. you've got me thinking...

1727355464418.png

Jeez.. you've got me thinking...

I hate threads like these.

OP has specific parameters.

People who reply usually ignore these parameters and it becomes a "this is my dream bike" thread... which then turns into a "man, maybe I should totally buy my dream bike"...

This is going to get expensive. And not for @Priller... :(

I hate threads like these.

OP has specific parameters.

People who reply usually ignore these parameters and it become a "this is my dream bike" thread... which then turns into a "man, maybe I should totally get my dream bike"...

This is going to get expensive. And not for @Priller... :(
At least it's about motorcycles.

Do I *really* *really* need a Monster S4RS Tri-Colore...?!?!
Yes.
Also yes.

To be fair, the conclusion I've come to in this thread and looking at a bajillion classifieds is that what I really want is a Griso, but as one isn't available in my budget and locally RIGHT NOW, I'm trying to work my head around something else. The top logical choices are clearly the Street Triple and VFR, for value, meeting my needs, and personal curb appeal. The first for fun factor and dirt cheap insurance (@matt365 was right, they're ridiculously cheap), the second for do-it-all universality and ride it for the rest of your life durability.

As a practical purchase, the Griso is ridiculous. Piaggio parts chain questions (though they were always fine with my Aprilia), air cooled, expensive insurance, bad on gas, heavy, not overly comfortable, a bit spendy by comparison (though there are some out west that seem quite fairly priced). But I keep coming back to it as just the right balance of 'character' (whatever that means), sporty-ish but not overly so, unique (very), torque-ey motor that's happy to lug along, and stacks of curb appeal (for me, natch). Early 8V models had a terminal valve tappet issue, but they eventually fixed that with rollers, which can apparently be retrofitted into the earlier models to make them dead reliable.

Anyway, the hunt continues, but if anyone sees a reasonably priced Griso come up for sale, please shoot me an alert. There's a newer one locally for $8500, but I'm seeing similar (maybe a bit older) ones asking $6-7k out west, so I'm going to hold out for something in that price range.

Meanwhile, if a VFR, or Striple, or FZ1, or 1090 SMT, or ZRX11/1200, etc comes up at an unbeatable price, who knows?

Back
Top Bottom