Time for a new ride... (ideas welcome!) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time for a new ride... (ideas welcome!)

300k liability (I have a separate personal liability umbrella policy which is much cheaper than insuring each vehicle for the same amount).
Hmmmm ... gotta research this with TD ... back on track ...

It is very annoying. While great for taking breaks it’s frustrating when that stupid light comes on. The digital reader says 250km from full….but the furthest I did was around 200km and I had 2-3L of fuel left…

That’s cutting it a bit tight for my comfort level.

Quick Google says 13.5L tank. Let's say the pump can only suck up the first 13:

200 km / 11L used = 18 km/L x 2L remaining = 36 km = 236 km total range
200 km / 10L used = 20 km/L x 3L remaining = 60 km = 260 km total range

With TDMM, I have 1M on each each vehicle and a 1M rider on top that works for all vehicles. Much much cheaper than 2M policies.

Back on track, helping people spend their money on new bikes is fun.

Everything's more fun when it's someone else's money (especially Vegas, but that's another story).

Try co-operators for insurance - it was $200 cheaper than the next closest competitor when I was shopping around this year (I got quotes with all the companies you listed above). Their online estimate is quick and accurate.

Try co-operators for insurance - it was $200 cheaper than the next closest competitor when I was shopping around this year (I got quotes with all the companies you listed above). Their online estimate is quick and accurate.
Just ran a quote for myself on my SMT and it came to $1068, or $331 more than Desjardins. I do have home, umbrella liability, and multiple auto with them, though.

This VFR800 loaded with 1500 km seems on the money
1727206260570.png

There appears to be a set of panniers around

And there is a 2014 w panniers and lowish mileage as well.
The one bike I really wanted to own .....and didn't :(

Last edited:
When ya google hooligan moto, or stupid hooligan moto: it returns a bunch of KTMs, Ducatis and the odd Husky.
NAH
I meant something like a XR650 with a desert motor kit, or a CR500 stuffed in a "street" frame, and road suspension and tires
Something MENTAL. 100hp in a 300# bike

I want to build one... but day two I'd be trying to wheelie to Lindsay and day three I'd have no license
I fight the urge constantly

When ya google hooligan moto, or stupid hooligan moto: it returns a bunch of KTMs, Ducatis and the odd Husky.
NAH
I meant something like a XR650 with a desert motor kit, or a CR500 stuffed in a "street" frame, and road suspension and tires
Something MENTAL. 100hp in a 300# bike

I want to build one... but day two I'd be trying to wheelie to Lindsay and day three I'd have no license
I fight the urge constantly
I want to see that bike, build it

They are hard to come by but a Fazer8/FZ8 might do you nicely

FJR 1300,

- ~100 hp. (a few more come free, but you lose some thru shaft)
- Not too sporty. - Check (that's a relative evaluation)
- A little sporty. No cruisers, thanks. Check (that's a relative evaluation)
- Comfy enough to spend the day on. Check - comfy enough to spend a week on
- Priced around $5-6k, a bit more is okay for the right bike, but less is better. Trying to avoid the slippery slope of, "Well, that one is only $1000 more..." Check - lots of 03-07 with under 80K, occasionally find bikes as new as '14 for $6K.
- Ideally can be insured for <$1000/yr Check. I'm all in at $850 (bundled with some other stuff), DesJardins.

Strong Points:

• Range 350KM (hooligan), to 480 (blue hwy cruising)
  • Excellent element control (wind, rain)
  • Will run as dependably as a hammer for 250,000KM
  • All-day comfort for 1 or 2
  • All the performance you need off the track
  • Not many litre+ bikes insure for under $1K

Other Considerations:
  • FJR is big, without bags and dry, its 575lbs vs 535 for a Viffer.
  • FJR is hot in the city, not that much fun in stop-and-go traffic
  • If you're budget-conscious, consider repair costs, finding parts and downtime. A well-maintained Jap bike is going to cost you brakes, LOF, and tires to keep it on the road. Not usually the case for Eurobikes.

FJR 1300,

- ~100 hp. (a few more come free, but you lose some thru shaft)
- Not too sporty. - Check (that's a relative evaluation)
- A little sporty. No cruisers, thanks. Check (that's a relative evaluation)
- Comfy enough to spend the day on. Check - comfy enough to spend a week on
- Priced around $5-6k, a bit more is okay for the right bike, but less is better. Trying to avoid the slippery slope of, "Well, that one is only $1000 more..." Check - lots of 03-07 with under 80K, occasionally find bikes as new as '14 for $6K.
- Ideally can be insured for <$1000/yr Check. I'm all in at $850 (bundled with some other stuff), DesJardins.

Strong Points:

• Range 350KM (hooligan), to 480 (blue hwy cruising)
  • Excellent element control (wind, rain)
  • Will run as dependably as a hammer for 250,000KM
  • All-day comfort for 1 or 2
  • All the performance you need off the track
  • Not many litre+ bikes insure for under $1K

Other Considerations:
  • FJR is big, without bags and dry, its 575lbs vs 535 for a Viffer.
  • FJR is hot in the city, not that much fun in stop-and-go traffic
  • If you're budget-conscious, consider repair costs, finding parts and downtime. A well-maintained Jap bike is going to cost you brakes, LOF, and tires to keep it on the road. Not usually the case for Eurobikes.
If he wants a little smaller and almost criminally underpriced, the Bandit 1200 often sells for not much more than a hot dog and warm beer. Not as good for a week ride for sure but a little smaller for commuting downtown.

If he wants a little smaller and almost criminally underpriced, the Bandit 1200 often sells for not much more than a hot dog and warm beer. Not as good for a week ride for sure but a little smaller for commuting downtown.
I've ridden a 1200 Bandit, crude, simple, and super dependable and the are all day comfortable tourers. One of the last air/oil called STs.

You can get find them in great condition for $1800

It would kick the snot out of my neighbours VFR 1200.

If I was on a tight budget and wanted a liter+ST, I'd own one.

Thanks for all the input, folks! Very much appreciated and lots of food for thought. Keep it coming if anyone can think of anything else...

Another Moto Guzzi with a huge 21 litre tank is the V7. That'll get you about 400 km.
I've been looking at all the Guzzis, and the V7 is definitely up there. My only concern is I'm a bigger guy, and the ones I've sat on have been awfully small. Definitely hits the looks/price/insurance trifecta, though.

Shoulda clarified, was also suggesting this one:

1714065654-ducati-st3-used-buyers-guide-review-value-spec-8.jpg
Man, flashbacks to buying copies of Cycle World and Motorcyclist in the subway news stand to read on the way to school! Not the best looking bikes, but ticks all the boxes. Main concerns would be price and parts availability, though some older Duc's can be had for cheap. Have added to my list!

How bout a full on hooligan moto
I'm actually partially on board with this. Then again, as you allude to further down, these are not bikes to pootle along on. They demand to have their necks shaken, and I'm kind of looking to go with something that's happy to go slow...

I had a Tiger 1050 SE that was way more street bike than ADV. Cast wheels, arrow exhaust with an amazing sound with the triple engine and plenty of pick-up and go. Very comfy and looked really good in matt black/grey and silver rims. I sometimes regret selling it as it may have been one of the better looking bikes I have had.
I'm not generally an ADV fan, but the Tigers seem to be exceptions to that. The 1050 motor is a peach, too. I've been looking at a couple 800's, will also keep my eyes peeled for this one. Thanks!

How about a KTM 990 SMT? Meets all your requirements and includes removable side bags for light touring. 998cc motor has good torque for street riding, and is by all accounts bulletproof and easy to work on. My insurance with Desjardins is $830/yr with comprehensive, no collision, 300k liability (I have a separate personal liability umbrella policy which is much cheaper than insuring each vehicle for the same amount). My nephew has a 2011 with a bunch of extras priced at the low end of the spectrum, if interested.
Now we're talking. Not a bike I'd had on my radar, but definitely ticks boxes. Hard bags is definitely a bonus.

Back on track, helping people spend their money on new bikes is fun.
Spending other people's money is always fun. It's more fun when they have more to spend, though!

This VFR800 loaded with 1500 km seems on the money
The one bike I really wanted to own .....and didn't :(
That's not budget creep, that's budget leap. Great bike, and a very good price for what it is (most are asking well north of $10k with lots of miles), but I don't think any 'winter is coming' discount will get me down to where I want to be. Also, aside from the better ABS, apparently these aren't much of an improvement on the previous 800. Far better than the unfortunate 1200, though.

I want to see that bike, build it
Me too!

They are hard to come by but a Fazer8/FZ8 might do you nicely
I'll keep my eyes peeled, but have heard bad things about the snatchy Yamaha fuelling of that era. Not sure if that's an issue with the 8.

I actually have a couple higher mileage examples saved in my favourites in various classified pages. Not top of the list at the moment, as it's much more touring oriented than ideal for me, but there's a lot of bike for the money. Definitely ticks a lot of boxes, though, and is a contender if one comes up at the right price.

Bandit 12 is in there with a carbureted FZ1 as bikes I've got an eye out for but aren't quite at the point where I'll set up an alert on Kijiji or whatever. It's actually a better fit for my needs than an FJR, if only because it makes for a better quick ride bike. Not very pretty, though, at least with the bikini fairing. And if I got a naked one, I'd be forever compelled to streetfighter it...

What about a Honda ST1300. Checks most of the boxes and on the cheaper side of your budget
Speaking as the owner of a 2007 Honda 919 that has a bunch of discontinued parts, I don't know if a 19 year old 80,000km ST1300 is worth $5500

Speaking as the owner of a 2007 Honda 919 that has a bunch of discontinued parts, I don't know if a 19 year old 80,000km ST1300 is worth $5500
At 80,000 km a ST1300 is still a juvenile. I’ve met st1300s with 400,000km on original drivelines - no one, many- still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom