Time for a new ride... (ideas welcome!) | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time for a new ride... (ideas welcome!)

Ah Letchworth is a treat. Great food and a nice ride. Enjoy.
Thanks! It's insanely spectacular so far, and I am amazed I've lived as long as I have between Toronto and Niagara without ever having heard of it. Meanwhile, it's actually closer to get to than many of the campgrounds north of Toronto. From Hamilton, anyway.

No riding this time, just towing a rented travel trailer. Have avoided anything too twisty, but could be a fun visit on a bike next year. Close enough to make a day trip out of it, actually.

Yeah ...I used to ride through the park, have an excellent old school meal - had lunch there with the kid....so good, and you get your park ticket cost back off the meal.
Screen Shot 2024-10-07 at Oct, 7    2024    8.38.56 PM.jpg
1728297121595.png
1728297146050.png
and head to the glass museum at Corning...another terrific stop and also great food despite the look.
Screen Shot 2024-10-07 at Oct, 7    2024    8.35.46 PM.jpg
marvelous stuff and there is a history of glass making which is fascinating.
Screen Shot 2024-10-07 at Oct, 7    2024    8.35.26 PM.jpg

Last edited:
There's a couple Girso's for sale in Alberta for pretty reasonable prices.

I know long distance transactions can be a nuisance and are a risk, but may be worth checking out.

You can find someone to transport the bike to Ontario. I did it through the website Shipsy and got door to door service for a reasonable price. The guy I dealt with moves bike purchases all the time, picking up from private sellers and dropping off at the purchasers house.

I know long distance transactions can be a nuisance and are a risk, but may be worth checking out.

You can find someone to transport the bike to Ontario. I did it through the website Shipsy and got door to door service for a reasonable price. The guy I dealt with moves bike purchases all the time, picking up from private sellers and dropping off at the purchasers house.

What was the cost?

Called TFX International and the cost to ship from BC Interior to Toronto was $1250 + tax + fuel surcharge. Would probably end up around $1500 all in.

It was door-to-door, fully enclosed, full insurance, zero deductible, but still... Ouch.

What was the cost?

Called TFX International and the cost to ship from BC Interior to Toronto was $1250 + tax + fuel surcharge. Would probably end up around $1500 all in.

It was door-to-door, fully enclosed, full insurance, zero deductible, but still... Ouch.
I received several quotes, some from shipping companies trying to fill LTL trailers which meant strapping the bike to a pallet and having a suitable place to deliver it to, and other quotes from guys who do vehicle transport with enclosed car hauler trailers etc. and go door to door including residential addresses. All of them are insured etc.
As for the price it obviously depends on what, where and when and what you're willing to pay.
As for the OP, he might decide that buying the $5000 Griso and then paying $1500 for shipping it a good deal compared to local purchase options.

I received several quotes

What was the price range? What did you ultimately end up going with? Understand this is from AB to ON, so not apples->apples.

Haven't shipped by land ever, always just ridden, but starting to see that it does save some a lot of time and wear from the superslab which does end up costing $$$ in the end.

What was the price range? What did you ultimately end up going with? Understand this is from AB to ON, so not apples->apples.

Haven't shipped by land ever, always just ridden, but starting to see that it does save some a lot of time and wear from the superslab which does end up costing $$$ in the end.
The difference between TMX and the other LTL companies and the truck & trailer guys was $800 - 1200, and that was just transport cost and didn't include crating nor drop charge. I would also have had to bring the bike to their warehouse for loading and have someone available to collect it from their warehouse on the other end. I was concerned with accumulating charges if the bike was dropped at their warehouse(s) for pick up and had to sit. Those rates can be pretty high.

The timing of shipment was more precise with the LTL companies, but the delivery dates presented were more a range/estimate.

The truck & trailer companies offered actual door to door service and would make contact to arrange pick up and delivery times. There was less certainty of when the bike would be picked up (by a couple days) but much better certainty of delivery date.

Yeah ...I used to ride through the park, have an excellent old school meal - had lunch there with the kid....so good, and you get your park ticket cost back off the meal.
View attachment 70205
View attachment 70201
View attachment 70202
and head to the glass museum at Corning...another terrific stop and also great food despite the look.
View attachment 70203
marvelous stuff and there is a history of glass making which is fascinating.
View attachment 70204
We're also traveling with a couple of dogs (that my wife would only let me leave in the trailer over her dead body), so are pretty limited with options away from hiking trails and outdoor dining.

You're about the fifth person to tell me that the Corning Museum of Glass is incredible and very much worth a visit. Maybe not this trip, but definitely soon.

I've seen those, as well as a couple of 1200 SE models that have sold in BC since I've been looking.

First, I'd prefer the 2013-on 1200 models (roller cams) if I can get one. The 1100 is down about 20 odd hp (80 to 100), apparently the gearbox is much clunkier, and the suspension isn't as good.

Second, from the digging I've done, most 'big block' Guzzi's will last pretty much forever if you care for them, especially the valve adjustment. But if you are lax, the fixes can be expensive. I'd prefer to have a face-to-face chat with a seller to gauge the level of obsessiveness for stuff like that.

There was one in BC that was new enough and cheap enough almost to justify a flight out there, but it sold before I could think too hard about it.

Much appreciated for the heads up about Shipsy. I thought they only did small parcel cross-border shipping, but will check out the long distance options in case the local one I'm looking at doesn't pan out...

What about air transport - Calgary to Toronto. Vancouver to Toronto ...have done both tho with Air Canada then
2023-bike-air-aircraft-airside.jpg

What about air transport - Calgary to Toronto. Vancouver to Toronto ...have done both tho with Air Canada then
2023-bike-air-aircraft-airside.jpg

Air is limited to major city centres and you need to figure out additional transportation of the bike to and from the airport and additional hotel and living expenses if you're not local. I live 4 hours from Vancouver and 7 hours from Calgary.

With door-to-door shipping, the shipper comes to your house with the truck, loads it at your front door. You fly to your destination and the truck delivers it to your hotel or wherever you are staying. Shipping a motorcycle from Kamloops to Ottawa is logistically difficult by air. Much more so than flying yourself between those two cities.

Air is limited to major city centres and you need to figure out additional transportation of the bike to and from the airport and additional hotel and living expenses if you're not local. I live 4 hours from Vancouver and 7 hours from Calgary.

With door-to-door shipping, the shipper comes to your house with the truck, loads it at your front door. You fly to your destination and the truck delivers it to your hotel or wherever you are staying. Shipping a motorcycle from Kamloops to Ottawa is logistically difficult by air. Much more so than flying yourself between those two cities.
Probably doesn't make sense for my current situation, but the thought of flying with my bike to Rome and taking off from there fills my brain with about a million trip ideas. So, so many things to do from there I'd need about a decade off...

@Priller, do you remember the Ducati ST we were talking about earlier?

One just came up for sale at my local dealer:

Thumb.aspx

It's got the 4-valve SBK engine in it. Might test-ride it when I get back to BC.

Will help you crate it and ship it to Toronto if you're interested!

Probably doesn't make sense for my current situation, but the thought of flying with my bike to Rome and taking off from there fills my brain with about a million trip ideas. So, so many things to do from there I'd need about a decade off...

If you ship your motorcycle to Italy, here's a map of an interesting place just a little bit north of Rome that you can explore on two wheels:

Mugello-map_1.jpg

I know *you* know where this is.

Cargo flight schedules can be an issue, at least for the flights that ship motorcycles from my recent experience.

Also, some airports have a different cargo airport, despite technically being in the same city. We shipped from Toronto to London, we landed in Heathrow, the bikes landed at Gatwick - about 70 kms away. A very expensive cab ride to get there...

Montreal is the same - PET in Dorval is the main passenger airport and Mirabel (>50 kms away) is the cargo airport. At least at YYZ, everything is centralized.

Gotta factor in extra transportation costs and scheduling/hotel costs if the cargo flight arrives a few hours later or even the next day.

@Priller, do you remember the Ducati ST we were talking about earlier?

One just came up for sale at my local dealer:

Thumb.aspx

It's got the 4-valve SBK engine in it. Might test-ride it when I get back to BC.

Will help you crate it and ship it to Toronto if you're interested!
While I genuinely appreciate the offer, I'm unlikely to take you up on it. I have to confess, at the time, I was totally a Honda guy. My first bike was a Hawk GT, which was basically an RC30 frame and single-sided swingarm mated to a torquey but limited v-twin pinched from an Ascot. This, naturally, made me a huge fan of the RC30 (still my favourite bike of all time by a country mile), the RC45, and the RC51. I cheered hard for Colin Edwards against your guy Troy Bayliss (though Bayliss is a way easier person to cheer for), in 2000, 2001, and especially 2002, which was the most exciting season of racing I've ever followed. Add in that I am a massive Mick Doohan and Dani Pedrosa fan, despite them being polar opposites in almost every way.

Pertinent to your other thread I haven't replied to yet, my track bike is an RC51 for that reason. I still have a soft spot for Honda, despite them thoroughly squandering the engineering magic that I think peaked around 1990 between the CBR900RR and RC30, leveled off through 2000 with the first VFR800, and has been in steady decline ever since.

All this to say, the Ducatis of the era leave me cold. Fantastic bikes, fantastic motors, and pushing the L-twin a lot further than most thought it could go. But they don't speak to me the way a bike with that single wing logo does...

While I genuinely appreciate the offer, I'm unlikely to take you up on it. I have to confess, at the time, I was totally a Honda guy. My first bike was a Hawk GT, which was basically an RC30 frame and single-sided swingarm mated to a torquey but limited v-twin pinched from an Ascot. This, naturally, made me a huge fan of the RC30 (still my favourite bike of all time by a country mile), the RC45, and the RC51. I cheered hard for Colin Edwards against your guy Troy Bayliss (though Bayliss is a way easier person to cheer for), in 2000, 2001, and especially 2002, which was the most exciting season of racing I've ever followed. Add in that I am a massive Mick Doohan and Dani Pedrosa fan, despite them being polar opposites in almost every way.

Pertinent to your other thread I haven't replied to yet, my track bike is an RC51 for that reason. I still have a soft spot for Honda, despite them thoroughly squandering the engineering magic that I think peaked around 1990 between the CBR900RR and RC30, leveled off through 2000 with the first VFR800, and has been in steady decline ever since.

All this to say, the Ducatis of the era leave me cold. Fantastic bikes, fantastic motors, and pushing the L-twin a lot further than most thought it could go. But they don't speak to me the way a bike with that single wing logo does...

If I ever get a track bike, we'll have to do a Edwards/Bayliss-type showdown (or more likely just doing laps) at Calabogie one day! 🤣

(teach you to speak ill of the Desmos)

BTW, I cheered for Nicky Hayden in Honda Repsol colours against Rossi back in '06.

Last edited:
If I ever get a track bike, we'll have to do a Edwards/Bayliss-type showdown (or more likely just doing laps) at Calabogie one day! 🤣

(teach you to speak ill of the Desmos)

BTW, I cheered for Nicky Hayden in Honda Repsol colours against Rossi back in '06.
I'm in like Flynn, though I'll have to demand Shannonville because I can channel all the races I watched Steve Crevier win there on an RC51 against guys like Frank Trombino...

Back
Top Bottom