The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 339 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

Speaking of E-bikes this guys disgruntledness at being overtaken then the wow at the end cracked me up.

This is how they should treat all e-bike riders imo
They thought the rider had a gun. Even with a dozen ERU responding, he probably wouldn't get a ticket related to the ebike.

Cousin of the PITT maneuver, the PUNT maneuver.

Truck driver pretty much tries to kill a cyclist. Passes the bike and turns right over him. I've had lots of vehicles do that but they were normally taxis. Thankfully I didn't have a truck do it.

Police gave a "disobey sign" ticket to the truck driver. Holy f. That's $110. How this was anything less than careless is appalling. There is a solid argument for dangerous as it was no right turn and he almost killed somebody.

Disobey sign and prohibited turn. Not as much as he deserves, but will likely stand the test in court.

I'm cringing every time that I hear CFRB 1010 News say that an officer was struck by a Ducati "speedbike."
They had a picture of the rider and bike on CTV News, they said "Ducati Speedbike" on the 6PM newscast, what I saw was a dude on a white, red and blue CBR. Then they showed an example picture of the bike, again CBR with HONDA in big letters along the bottom. So who knows, maybe it was a Harley Bagger.... /s

Gives me flashbacks/PTSD of the minivan soccer mom hitting on me and then asking if my Ducati was made by Honda....
Edit, 11 PM news, now they are saying Honda C<then some random nonsense letters> motorcycle. Toronto police release photos of suspect, motorcycle after officer struck while directing traffic

Here is their pic of the now Honda, but originally reported as a Ducati Speedbike....

1723175886753.png
I am still leaning Harley Bagger /s

Last edited:
Truck driver pretty much tries to kill a cyclist. Passes the bike and turns right over him. I've had lots of vehicles do that but they were normally taxis. Thankfully I didn't have a truck do it.

Police gave a "disobey sign" ticket to the truck driver. Holy f. That's $110. How this was anything less than careless is appalling. There is a solid argument for dangerous as it was no right turn and he almost killed somebody.

Tried to kill is a tough call. Consider the situation drivers are in. A legal right (Banned at the time of the event) would be right lane turning into a right lane. If the bike lane is a lane it means drivers either have to use the bike lane or turn from a left into a right.

In most cases the bike lane is to the right but in some it's to the right or in the middle.

Drivers have to contend with more obstructions every day. It seems every east-west major artery is under construction. Cyclists have their "Gods only" lane. Pedestrians wander like cows. Aggressive drivers cut off whenever they can. E-things pop in and out wherever they want, expecting someone else to babysit their antics.

Making cars safer for roll overs means reduced vision with the thicker pillars, head rests, larger mirrors. Add tinted windows to reduce A/C size and carbon footprint.

Throw in Brampton driving schools and lax testing. Laws change but drivers are not officially notified. They learn from secondary sources, media and word of mouth.

Don't forget the economy. If the government screws up and their drivers sit in traffic they just put it our tax bills. If a business is held up by a traffic blockage the truck and driver continue to eat profits. A dozen or more workers could be sitting idle waiting for the truck to arrive.

How long can you churn concrete? How long does asphalt stay workable?

Enjoy your day in the big TO.

They had a picture of the rider and bike on CTV News, they said "Ducati Speedbike" on the 6PM newscast, what I saw was a dude on a white, red and blue CBR. Then they showed an example picture of the bike, again CBR with HONDA in big letters along the bottom. So who knows, maybe it was a Harley Bagger.... /s

Gives me flashbacks/PTSD of the minivan soccer mom hitting on me and then asking if my Ducati was made by Honda....
Edit, 11 PM news, now they are saying Honda C<then some random nonsense letters> motorcycle. Toronto police release photos of suspect, motorcycle after officer struck while directing traffic

Here is their pic of the now Honda, but originally reported as a Ducati Speedbike....

View attachment 69184
I am still leaning Harley Bagger /s
Unfortunately, this is what you get when one company owns all the media. There was a time when CFRB was a national award winning news station. Then Bell Media gutted their news team. Now you get reports in which someone from CP24 tells you to "watch in this video." On the radio.

Tried to kill is a tough call. Consider the situation drivers are in. A legal right (Banned at the time of the event) would be right lane turning into a right lane. If the bike lane is a lane it means drivers either have to use the bike lane or turn from a left into a right.

In most cases the bike lane is to the right but in some it's to the right or in the middle.

Drivers have to contend with more obstructions every day. It seems every east-west major artery is under construction. Cyclists have their "Gods only" lane. Pedestrians wander like cows. Aggressive drivers cut off whenever they can. E-things pop in and out wherever they want, expecting someone else to babysit their antics.

Making cars safer for roll overs means reduced vision with the thicker pillars, head rests, larger mirrors. Add tinted windows to reduce A/C size and carbon footprint.

Throw in Brampton driving schools and lax testing. Laws change but drivers are not officially notified. They learn from secondary sources, media and word of mouth.

Don't forget the economy. If the government screws up and their drivers sit in traffic they just put it our tax bills. If a business is held up by a traffic blockage the truck and driver continue to eat profits. A dozen or more workers could be sitting idle waiting for the truck to arrive.

How long can you churn concrete? How long does asphalt stay workable?

Enjoy your day in the big TO.
All of those are true but imo irrelevant in this case. The truck passed the bike and turned right into it. The bike was clearly visible. The truck made zero attempt to yield the right of way even though by literally every law, that was required. Truck driver should go back to G1.

All of those are true but imo irrelevant in this case. The truck passed the bike and turned right into it. The bike was clearly visible. The truck made zero attempt to yield the right of way even though by literally every law, that was required. Truck driver should go back to G1.

Just to play Devil's advocate because we only see the point in time of the collision - vehicles usually need to slow down for an intersection turn, especially a long truck like that. Is it possible that the truck was already ahead of the cyclist and was slowing down for the turn when the cyclist started passing it? Also, long trucks and buses need to move to the left to make a sharp right turn, and they usually have big warning signs on them. Perhaps the cyclist thought it was changing lanes and moving over for some reason, or wasn't paying attention? I suppose it also depends if the truck driver used his turn signals.

Just to play Devil's advocate because we only see the point in time of the collision - vehicles usually need to slow down for an intersection turn, especially a long truck like that. Is it possible that the truck was already ahead of the cyclist and was slowing down for the turn when the cyclist started passing it? Also, long trucks and buses need to move to the left to make a sharp right turn, and they usually have big warning signs on them. Perhaps the cyclist thought it was changing lanes and moving over for some reason, or wasn't paying attention? I suppose it also depends if the truck driver used his turn signals.
I would say that the truck making a prohibited turn makes the point of where the cyclist started moot.

In the video we have (and longer would be better), I don't see any evidence of a turn signal. We can see a lot of the trucks lights in the video and none change state during the video. Light was green for long before the truck got there. Reasonably safe to assume that traffic was flowing. Bike doesn't appear to be hauling ass (easy enough to calculate vehicle speeds from the video if desired). We can clearly see the no right turn sign in the video. I am sticking with a colossal undercharge by lazy police. They will take their tiny conviction and consider it a win. Minimal effort required and they can say they did something.

As people can be trespassed from public spaces, is that possible for drivers? If drivers ignore the laws in Toronto, could Toronto potentially trespass them from the City? We have a lot of truck drivers killing people at intersections where they ignore the laws and do whatever is most expedient. Going to jail for trespassing (for five minutes anyway and getting your truck towed) the next time you got caught in the city may help increase the hammer size enough that they may consider actually listening to signs.

Yes, I agree, but it was an alternative perspective from saying that the driver deliberately tried to kill the cyclist.
While I don't expect it was a deliberate act, their level of negligence rose really close to that level. The truck made absolutely zero effort to avoid killing the cyclist (who had the right of way).

While I don't expect it was a deliberate act, their level of negligence rose really close to that level. The truck made absolutely zero effort to avoid killing the cyclist (who had the right of way).
The high end would be some form of "reckless disregard", ie., "I knew he was there but what I do is his look-out."

In the video we have (and longer would be better), I don't see any evidence of a turn signal. We can see a lot of the trucks lights in the video and none change state during the video. Light was green for long before the truck got there. Reasonably safe to assume that traffic was flowing. Bike doesn't appear to be hauling ass (easy enough to calculate vehicle speeds from the video if desired). We can clearly see the no right turn sign in the video. I am sticking with a colossal undercharge by lazy police. They will take their tiny conviction and consider it a win. Minimal effort required and they can say they did something.

As people can be trespassed from public spaces, is that possible for drivers? If drivers ignore the laws in Toronto, could Toronto potentially trespass them from the City? We have a lot of truck drivers killing people at intersections where they ignore the laws and do whatever is most expedient. Going to jail for trespassing (for five minutes anyway and getting your truck towed) the next time you got caught in the city may help increase the hammer size enough that they may consider actually listening to signs.
If a trucking company screws up enough, then their license can be pulled. The problem with that is BC did it for a company that kept hitting bridges but they didn't care, because they were also licensed in AB. Cross-Province agreements meant they could keep working in BC.

If a car is making a legal right turn into a driveway or at an intersection and there is a bicyclist approaching from behind, does the cyclist still have the right of way? Is it the bicyclist's responsibility to slow down to avoid hitting the car, just like every other vehicle on the road, or is it the car's responsibility to make sure the bicyclist (that the driver may not even be aware of) isn't passing as he makes the turn?

If a car is making a legal right turn into a driveway or at an intersection and there is a bicyclist approaching from behind, does the cyclist still have the right of way? Is it the bicyclist's responsibility to slow down to avoid hitting the car, just like every other vehicle on the road, or is it the car's responsibility to make sure the bicyclist (that the driver may not even be aware of) isn't passing as he makes the turn?

Found something:

The relevence is the increasing number of tasks the driver is faced with. At some point any driver can err due to the increasing number of distractions. As long as there is a me vs them attitude, things will get worse. Physically, the cyclist gets the worst of it. Financially, it's the driver. There is no winner. It isn't just a bicycle attitude. Self importance and nanny state laws are a bad mix.

If you are the only safe driver on the road you become a hazard to the unsafe ones. Speed or impede. Stop and get rear ended. etc.

The illegality of the No Right Turn signage is IMO irrelevant. If the turn was legal I feel that the same thing would have happened.

Why is there a No Right time bracket? I suspect it is because pedestrian traffic in both directions would cause gridlock at busy times. Pedestrians are far worse at ignoring signs.

If the truck had to go south on Dufferin what would be his alternate route. Side streets in the area are probably "No Heavies" and plugged with parked cars.

I would say that the truck making a prohibited turn makes the point of where the cyclist started moot.
It likely would have happened if the sign wasn't there so moot moot from the physical contact POV. It does make charges easier to define. Either or both the driver and cyclist failed to allow for each other. Having a pushy bicycle attitude and poorly trained drivers is a bad combo.

We may not be in complete agreement but in construction / heavy equipment the operators are so used to winning by intimidation that they can become complacent, expecting every win.

Back
Top Bottom