The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 333 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

Happens on almost any street with a parked car, especially if you're on a motorcycle. Usually though, both people slow down first.

Happens on almost any street with a parked car, especially if you're on a motorcycle. Usually though, both people slow down first.
On the street where I used to live there were two cars parked across from each other. Two cars coming towards each other both thought the other would give way. Head on crash, broad daylight, clear sky.

Brampton. He got some style points while destroying his car.

Last edited:
Brampton. He got some style points while destroying his car.

Richmond, BC.

I've always been told that it is the responsibility of both drivers to share the available roadway when passing a stopped/parked vehicle regardless of where the painted centre line might be. In the video the roadway looks to be sufficiently wide to allow the cam car to move to the right and allow both vehicles to operate with room to spare. The vehicle approaching from behind the police vehicle should slow as they pass because of the "move over" law.

I've always been told that it is the responsibility of both drivers to share the available roadway when passing a stopped/parked vehicle regardless of where the painted centre line might be. In the video the roadway looks to be sufficiently wide to allow the cam car to move to the right and allow both vehicles to operate with room to spare. The vehicle approaching from behind the police vehicle should slow as they pass because of the "move over" law.
Rules are not important to important people. The assumption of right of way is too common.

While it's important to stand your ground the price can be astronomically high.

Being a decent human being would be to move over so both can pass.

Legally, the car in the restricted lane is required to wait for the other vehicle to pass.

Being a decent human being would be to move over so both can pass.

Legally, the car in the restricted lane is required to wait for the other vehicle to pass.
The complicated situation is nobbies where both lanes were restricted. Pretty much a tie for every rule of the road. Drivers can choose to play chicken or one can yield. Is a head-on crash winning or losing at chicken? You didn't back down but insurance is definitely giving them both at-fault crashes on their records.

Which are trumped by the HTA rule about passing emergency/first responder vehicles. IIRC you're supposed to give a full lane or move over as much as possible and slow down markedly. That broad in the truck didn't even lift off the gas and was less than a meter from the cop.

Which are trumped by the HTA rule about passing emergency/first responder vehicles. IIRC you're supposed to give a full lane or move over as much as possible and slow down markedly. That broad in the truck didn't even lift off the gas and was less than a meter from the cop.
In your video, it's pretty clear that it was their responsibility to solve the problem. Either through more forethought and slowing down earlier or the standard approach of panic braking at the last second. Like in a boat, in a cage I will choose lane position to help the other person choose the course of action that I want. Coming up that situation, I'd probably be close to the centre line as there is no good way for two vehicles to pass right there. If there is sufficient room, I will cheat right to make the gap. You always have to be ready for the other driver not to get the hint.

One less dirtbag to worry about. Stolen Mercedes SUV. 19 yo driver. 143 km/h with 100% throttle towards a red light in a 50 zone. Hit a vehicle turning left. Dirtbag wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Once less car thief.

One less dirtbag to worry about. Stolen Mercedes SUV. 19 yo driver. 143 km/h with 100% throttle towards a red light in a 50 zone. Hit a vehicle turning left. Dirtbag wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Once less car thief.

Any ID on the dead driver, record, last arrest, home grown thug or import?

Don't forget some 50yr old motorist whose mistake was wrong place wrong time with injuries that they are likely to be dealing with for the rest of their lives.

Which is why I noted that the vehicle approaching from behind the police vehicle should slow as they pass. Since it is impossible to provide a full lane when passing a stopped police vehicle on a two lane roadway, even the cam car should move over to the right as far as possible and slow as they pass in the opposing direction in order to satisfy the "move over" law.

Richmond, BC.
Which is the Brampton of the greater Vancouver area in that it is a place that sane people will take long detours to avoid driving through.

Also looks like classic Vancouver car (usually German, often RWD) with 'all season' or sporty summer tires being driven in ~0C weather. Every time you get a bit of black ice or slush, these are sliding through stop signs and red lights across the lower mainland.

Back
Top Bottom