The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 335 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

I just saw this on CP24.. The damage was less than I expected. Her vehicle did not enter the daycare.. she hit the front on the building.. broke a window and chipped a couple bricks.
My takeaway... why don't they use different, and safer, glass in daycare windows? The window broke into big shards.. they should be using tempered or safety glass... and install some bollards too.
Money. Daycares for the most part make very little. Parents are maxed out on ability to pay, staff ratios are fixed by government and cost of all inputs is climbing fast. Spending thousands or tens of thousands to protect against bad drivers isn't in the cards.

As an intermediate step, tinting the inside pane woudnt be an awful idea. A lot cheaper than swapping glass, saves on a/c and glues the shards together if a kid or car breaks the glass.

Yes, I'm aware of that unfortunate issue, but though tit might have been mentioned prior to Donovan's death. I hadn't talked to him for some years.

In his post he said he was stopped in the drive through line checking email on his phone and the cop walked up to his car.

In his post he said he was stopped in the drive through line checking email on his phone and the cop walked up to his car.
I thought you might have had the whole story from the horse's mouth, rather than just the post. I'm sure that a lot of people on this board knew Donovan personally, rather than just online.

I never spoke to him after the accident. I don't think many people did. He moved away shortly afterwards.

Money. Daycares for the most part make very little. Parents are maxed out on ability to pay, staff ratios are fixed by government and cost of all inputs is climbing fast. Spending thousands or tens of thousands to protect against bad drivers isn't in the cards.

As an intermediate step, tinting the inside pane woudnt be an awful idea. A lot cheaper than swapping glass, saves on a/c and glues the shards together if a kid or car breaks the glass.
Good catch on the tinting of the inside pane. Tint the outside one and it gets hot while A/C is cooling the inside one. It creates the equivalent of a bi-metal strip that can pop the unit out or cause it to explode.

Obviously the tint inside also does a better job of protecting the kids from errant passers by and themselves.

I think day care competes with karate studios for the cheapest rents.

This is how it's done in Brampton... again.. and again.. and.. etc.
Maybe we should just put bollards around brampton? If you're in, stay in. If you're out, you don't want to go in. Locals know not to get a table near the windows.

Maybe we should just put bollards around brampton? If you're in, stay in. If you're out, you don't want to go in. Locals know not to get a table near the windows.

I saw one of these incidents personally a while ago...
The front of the car was inside the store front.. the back end was balanced on top of a bollard.

giphy.gif

Hamilton has a special intersection designed to catch out inattentive and/or inebriated drivers:

1722114308924.png

The Cannon, a fancy coffee shop, was on the northwest corner (top right) and had vehicles drive into their storefront three times. Eventually, they moved to the southeast corner of the same intersection, and promptly had someone drive into the building there. Poke Bowl took over the northwest corner, and they immediately had an SUV in their take-out line. This is all in the space of three years. The city finally got the hint, and rejigged the intersection a bit, and are preparing to install some bollards, as far as I can tell.

The weird bit is that intersection has been the same since forever, and it's only the past few years that people have been unable to navigate it.

Hamilton has a special intersection designed to catch out inattentive and/or inebriated drivers:

View attachment 68999

The Cannon, a fancy coffee shop, was on the northwest corner (top right) and had vehicles drive into their storefront three times. Eventually, they moved to the southeast corner of the same intersection, and promptly had someone drive into the building there. Poke Bowl took over the northwest corner, and they immediately had an SUV in their take-out line. This is all in the space of three years. The city finally got the hint, and rejigged the intersection a bit, and are preparing to install some bollards, as far as I can tell.

The weird bit is that intersection has been the same since forever, and it's only the past few years that people have been unable to navigate it.
There's more than one, though they don't all end at storefronts. I'm drawing a blank on the name but there's one road that heads up the mountain. Three lane, one way. At a certain point the left lane must make a left and there's a low island blocking continued use of the left lane. Lighting is typical Hamilton poor and I barely avoided the island at about 1:00am, one day.

There's more than one, though they don't all end at storefronts. I'm drawing a blank on the name but there's one road that heads up the mountain. Three lane, one way. At a certain point the left lane must make a left and there's a low island blocking continued use of the left lane. Lighting is typical Hamilton poor and I barely avoided the island at about 1:00am, one day.
There's a few beauties at the various cuts at the top of the mountain. The Kenilworth access is my favourite, totally insane the first time you do it, but quickly makes sense:

1722125755590.png

Back
Top Bottom