The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 336 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

There's a few beauties at the various cuts at the top of the mountain. The Kenilworth access is my favourite, totally insane the first time you do it, but quickly makes sense:

View attachment 69000
The one that I'm thinking of is on the low side, headed towards the mountain.

Not Ont but but good cautionary tail.
Buddy is making time on the freeway splitting lanes and screws up and makes contact. Runs but does a poor job and is chased down. Has a confrontation with the car driver in a parking lot and they both proudly display their 2A rights resulting in a double fatality. The kicker is the two young children watching this play out from the involved car.

Had yet another commute today that involved the usual hot garbage smoothie of aggression, obliviousness, distraction, and general disdain for fellow drivers and their safety. Nothing unusual, but the relentless awfulness of fellow drivers is wearing me down.

The distillation of the Toronto driving experience today was coming off the Skyway northbound and around the corner towards Toronto on the QEW in the left lane, passing the usual line of tractor trailers on the right as I do about a buck twenty. As the 403 traffic merges on the right, an ancient maroon minivan yanks the wheel to cross about five lanes of traffic to end up in front of me in the left lane. But he's only doing about 80, so I have to get relatively hard on the brakes. At the same time, a large SUV has ripped up behind me at a massive rate of speed and is inches off my rear bumper (hard to judge in a mirror, but he came up on me easily well over 160), and so as I'm braking hard, he has to brake even harder. And because he's oblivious, he's now convinced I just brake checked him, and so as soon as he has a gap he rips around me on the right (cutting a truck off, of course) and squeezes himself into the to small gap between me and the minivan ahead and proceeds to brake check me hard, waving his hands, before jumping across two solids into the HOV lane and disappearing (for about 10 seconds until the inevitable slowdown ahead brings us all back together).

The crazy part is that there's absolutely nothing remarkable about the above, either the oblivious minivan or the raged out SUV. It's just another day on Toronto roads. I'm genuinely considering packing in riding on the street. I know it's old man syndrome and, "back in my day!", etc., but I feel like the number of drivers in and around the GTA who are legitimate menaces has reached some kind of tipping point, and it's verging on irresponsible to be wading in to this mess as exposed as I am on a bike.

You have a toxic brew of a bunch of wildly different driving styles from all corners of the world, zero effort to confirm to local standards, lots of road rage because everyone's idea of 'normal' driving is different, insane traffic and city planning that actively hates cars (not all bad, to be fair, but you have to offer viable alternatives, not just make driving worse), total lack of patience because of the above, functionally zero law enforcement (bar some occasional lazy speed trapping), a broken housing market that forces many people into longer and longer commutes, the list is endless. The stuff I see on the roads daily is genuinely stupefying.

Anyway, wasn't sure where else to put this thought vomit, but here seemed as good a place as any. Anyone wanna buy a Tuono? It's been well cared for and is a perfect motorcycle for almost anywhere else in Canada where the roads have corners that aren't bumper to bumper with idiots and ar*eholes...

Not Ont but but good cautionary tail.
Buddy is making time on the freeway splitting lanes and screws up and makes contact. Runs but does a poor job and is chased down. Has a confrontation with the car driver in a parking lot and they both proudly display their 2A rights resulting in a double fatality. The kicker is the two young children watching this play out from the involved car.
Given the draconian firearms laws in California, it's likely that neither of them were legally in possession of those weapons. Escapating a road rage incident, with your children in the vehicle, is the height of stupidity.

I'm at the point that I just want to sell and move somewhere I can count the stoplights on my fingers.

AP1GczOCpCLoGR323OEHL2Bwc7PNFEKby6TQJyVN13m4jvuNJZFaJL6HQ4Op8DqRT60ZSRcL56ue3-Vt5TtwziKpckheoByMLWK9024Mn2YqXNVd-Z1ry8l4c9lVPQXyHMK_HjCVC_UDEETwGseHWvYxf96b=w1292-h813-s-no-gm

Last edited:
I'm at the point that I just want to sell and move somewhere I can count the stoplights on my fingers.

AP1GczOCpCLoGR323OEHL2Bwc7PNFEKby6TQJyVN13m4jvuNJZFaJL6HQ4Op8DqRT60ZSRcL56ue3-Vt5TtwziKpckheoByMLWK9024Mn2YqXNVd-Z1ry8l4c9lVPQXyHMK_HjCVC_UDEETwGseHWvYxf96b=w1292-h813-s-no-gm

1) While that intersection doesn't have pedestrian crossing markings they are typically ignored anyway.

2) The pickup appears to have unsecured items in the bed that would make the driver reluctant to make a swift correction to his track.

3) If the photo car sees the impending risk and takes action, the following vehicle might not and, expecting a rolling stop rear ends the photo car.

4) Elbow out the window means not having both hands on the steering wheel, probably palming the wheel.

On a M/C, put some weight on the pegs to fart and get a HTA 172.

1) While that intersection doesn't have pedestrian crossing markings they are typically ignored anyway.

2) The pickup appears to have unsecured items in the bed that would make the driver reluctant to make a swift correction to his track.

3) If the photo car sees the impending risk and takes action, the following vehicle might not and, expecting a rolling stop rear ends the photo car.

4) Elbow out the window means not having both hands on the steering wheel, probably palming the wheel.

On a M/C, put some weight on the pegs to fart and get a HTA 172.
The intersection doesn't need pedestrian crossing markings, when the centre line and stop line are clearly visible. Too many people are just lazy and take the "racing line."

Last edited:
The intersection doesn't need pedestrian crossing markings, when the centre line and stop line are clearly visible. Too many people are just lazy and take the "racing line."
The ones that get me are those who start their left turn waaay before the intersection and cut cross the centre line before they reach the intersection. It's fine if there is no one making the simultaneous right turn, but if there is this "racing line" doesn't leave sufficient space to properly make that turn without making contact with them, or the curb. Lazy bastards!

The ones that get me are those who start their left turn waaay before the intersection and cut cross the centre line before they reach the intersection. It's fine if there is no one making the simultaneous right turn, but if there is this "racing line" doesn't leave sufficient space to properly make that turn without making contact with them, or the curb. Lazy bastards!
The last two words says it all. Driving, for most, is a trip to the bottom of the barrel.

It's not like you don't have power steering.

You don't have to roll own the window in the rain to signal.

Etc, etc etc.

Very curious about what the story is here. I don't understand where the truck could have been coming from

The house is pretty much at the corner of Brookmere and Kipling, with a parking lot right across the street. My guess would be it mounted the low curb in the parking lot and ran right up into the house.

Back
Top Bottom