Scarborough shooting | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scarborough shooting

That will keep the sheep feeling safe and happy. :agave:

PS> Bill Blair is a giant pussy and doesn't have enough street sense to be a police chief.

I would have to agree with this based on several interviews he has provided thus far.

As for the low income and co op comment, I don’t know if you have been in that area but again, I work in that area and there are just as many white people as there are black people (along with many other races) that are in that community.

I believe this was referencing my comment, I do have experience in co-op housing and it was not a racially motivated in my comment, I was merely stating that this should bot be a perminant situation for living.

I wrote that a few posts back.
Why isn't the media asking WHERE WAS THE POLICE to begin with?

facts:
1. street party
2. possible hundred of people
3. gang area
4. alcohol
5. young punks

Did you bother to read the whole thread?
I answered that in post #64, when you showed up.

I know some may rebut that cops would instigate something, harrassing or be profiling but, I would suggest it's not. It's really simple. Large gathering of people and alcohol. Have some uniforms to park their butts right there. I don't care how the media spins the appearance of police at a local bbq, that is something that is automatic and should never be left alone. Don't care which neighbourhood, age or race of the participants.

I wrote that a few posts back.
Why isn't the media asking WHERE WAS THE POLICE to begin with?

facts:
1. street party
2. possible hundred of people
3. gang area
4. alcohol
5. young punks

I believe this was referencing my comment, I do have experience in co-op housing and it was not a racially motivated in my comment, I was merely stating that this should bot be a perminant situation for living.

I've done some work in a coop community. It was mostly seniors or people with low-wage jobs/small businesses that couldn't generate a lot of money in this economy, but they were all working hard and we had to have a property management employee on site to allow us access to the units. In the coop on other side of the street, you had you dealers, pimps and their ilk - waking up at noon with a spliff - those guys are making more than me but still milking the system because they aren't reporting any income. Yes, all ethnic groups were represented.

unless they come up with something like a death penalty, nothing is going to work. this hand gun banning thing is just stupid and the politicians know it!

And folks, we have a winner!

Yes of course, that's the answer. It's worked so well in the USA.

:stfu:

dunno if this has already been posted, but I read a good article on the Danzig street shooting/banning handguns..

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/07/18/...nne-charles-gun-control-and-the-toronto-star/

I get tired of writing about gun control even before I start typing. It is probably the one topic in Canadian public discourse that is most saturated by emotion and bereft of evidence-based arguments. But some contributions to the debate require a response.
This morning we have the Toronto Star weighing in on Monday night’s Danzig Street shooting, in which two people were killed and another 24 were injured when two men opened fire at each other at a neighbourhood barbeque. All the facts are not yet known, but police suspect gang involvement.
The Star’s solution, according to its paper editorial headline, is that it’s “High time to ban guns.” The editorial continues to note that witnesses should come forward. “But society as a whole can do more by banning private ownership of handguns… Indeed it’s hard to imagine how this could have happened at all if the shooters didn’t have access to easily concealed handguns.
“It’s too early to say where the firearms used in the latest bloodshed came from. But there’s no doubt that handguns — legal and otherwise — are all too common and easily obtained. Any reduction in the supply available to criminals would help…”
“As of the end of May, there were almost 700,000 legally registered handguns in this country — a sizeable arsenal waiting to be stolen by criminals. While this isn’t the main origin of firepower, private collections represent a significant source that should be shut down.”
Where to begin? Let’s start with a plea for facts.
The Star claims private collections represent a significant source of handguns used by criminals. What constitutes “significant source”? How many handgun murders in Canada last year involved legally registered handguns that were subsequently stolen? The Star doesn’t say.
But maybe this is because registered handguns — the “sizeable arsenal” — are still “waiting” to be stolen by criminals. Canadians have been required to register handguns since 1934. Exactly how much longer does this sizable arsenal need to wait before criminals will get around to seizing it?
The Star contends the only people who should have access to handguns are police, the military, and “a few top competitive shooters.” Exactly how amateur shooters are supposed to become top shooters without guns is something the Star doesn’t explain. But this is comparatively minor point. The bigger logical chasm is the Star’s argument that banning guns would somehow prevent tragedies like the one that occurred Monday night.
Obtaining a firearm’s licence in Canada today requires a police check, taking a comprehensive course, and passing a written and manual exam. This will give you the right to buy a rifle or shotgun. Getting licenced for a handgun is a lengthier and more complicated process. The Star’s claim that legal handguns are easily obtained is simply untrue. The idea that the gang members or otherwise troubled young men involved in so much of Toronto’s gun violence are also spending their weekends at a gun safety course taking notes on how to properly store and lock up their handguns is ludicrous. Their weapons are illegal. Banning legal guns won’t change that.
The Star’s editorial drives off a cliff towards its conclusion. “Collectors and pistol enthusiasts complain such a ban, under a mandatory federal buyback program, would end their freedom to pursue a hobby. They’re right. But balanced against that is the freedom of innocent people to enjoy life without being cut down by a bullet.
“That’s what killed Shyanne Charles, a generous and happy 14-year-old with a love of sports and music who happened to attend the Scarborough block party Monday night. No one’s pistol collection is worth that.”
The Star actually wrote that. Of course no one’s pistol collection is worth Shyanne’s death. And no one’s pistol collection contributed to it.
I hope the Star’s editorialists believe what they say, that taking away a sport shooter’s pistol collection might save little girls like Shyanne Charles. It’s an inane argument. But the alternative — that they know what they’re saying is illogical but still exploited Shyanne’s death to advance the paper’s position on gun control — is much more shameful.

Yes, yes..blame the Police.. Why can people not see that this shooting happened because of several individuals making an ignorant and horrific decision? So you think if I was standing beside this guys that was trying to prove a point with a gun, that he wouldn’t pull out the gun with me beside him? Lol, Again, clearly most of you have no idea what the Police go through on a regular basis and THINK you know what we do, I guess that is the joy of assumptions. I signed up for my job and knew the risks and wouldn’t trade it for the world but I am always blown away on how people gang up on the Police. I have been attached in my uniform (by a man), been in a hand to hand battle for a gun with a person trying to shot me and then I read people crying that the Police weren’t there! Here is an FYI for anyone that makes comments about Police presents at these types of community event; we ARE there. We are there on regular shift, some of us on over time duty and there are some of us in plain clothes. At the end of the day the Police cannot know what going to happen before it happens. We just try our best to prevent bad things from happening and we are always there to clean up the mess. I think again, that when it comes to coming up with solution to fix these problems in the community people go off track and play the blame game. If you don’t like how the Police are doing their job, why don’t you share your opinion on a solution to make these communities safer? I have noticed on GTAM that more than a few people who don’t like the Police, but I bet ya, if someone is robbing you, you’re going to be calling us J

but I bet ya, if someone is robbing you, you’re going to be calling us J

So you can show up 20 minutes later to take my statement (if I'm still breathing)? That's comforting.

Last edited:
Lose/lose for the Police. If they show up to babysit, it's harassment and profiling. They stay away, and they didn't do enough to stop "it".

Lose/lose for the Police. If they show up to babysit, it's harassment and profiling. They stay away, and they didn't do enough to stop "it".

Come on, they babysit at Caribana all the time

Would you rather I not show up and let the person who robbed you go on their marry way? Again, are the Police suppose to know what’s going to happen before it happens because I have a badge?

Would you rather I not show up and let the person who robbed you go on their marry way? Again, are the Police suppose to know what’s going to happen before it happens because I have a badge?

The last time we were robbed, the police came 20mins later. Thief was long gone

I'm in favour of profiling any person, regardless of color, if their pants don't fit right and hang halfway down their ***.

Do you have any statistics on the re-offending rate?

Backatcha

Death Penalty does not work.

Recidivism Rates
US: 67% http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rpr94.pdf

UK: <20% http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/statistics/reoffending/local-adult-reoffending-jan11-dec11.pdf

CAN: 12-25% (depending on your definition) http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/pblct/forum/e053/e053h-eng.shtml

And the above are the Justice Depts/Ministry documents, not media reports. Yea, I can back up my s***. Can you back up yours?

Last edited:
Again, we cannot be everywhere at all times. At least we do our jobs, show up and try to help as much as possible and I can tell you when I have received a robbery report and I show up 20 minutes after it has happened, I go out and try to find the person to get them off the street. I don’t know if the person who robbed you, has a knife or a gun but when I find that person (and most of the time we do), I will be the one approaching the “suspect” and I will be putting my life on the line, to make sure that I get them off the street. Now I cannot keep him off the streets, that is up to the government to make better laws in this country BUT the Police are there. Have you ever called the Police and we didn’t show up?

Again, are the Police suppose to know what’s going to happen before it happens because I have a badge?

Ideally the Drug and Gang squad would have been monitoring the KNOWN thugs movements on twit(ter)/farcebook, seen the trend that a blocko was brewing, and sent units to drive by on a regular rotation. Unfortunately the reality is that your detachment commander and staff seargents' idea of "proactive policing" means having a good percentage of the force collecting taxes with a radar gun in their hand.

dunno if this has already been posted, but I read a good article on the Danzig street shooting/banning handguns..

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/07/18/...nne-charles-gun-control-and-the-toronto-star/

The Star is right about gun control, except the hightened restriction needs to be inside the US, where most Canadian criminals (and TAFB) get their guns.

Good luck with that.

Banning handguns to save lives in Canada would like banning water to prevent a flood at the base of a leaking dam.

Last edited:
The Star is right about gun control, except the hightened restriction needs to be inside the US, where most Canadian criminals (and TAFB) get their guns.

Good luck with that.

Also don't forget China.. The US has already banned Chinese firearms because Norinco reps were openly selling their new stock to the local gangs.

Back
Top Bottom