Scarborough shooting | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scarborough shooting

We'd need more prisons and tougher judges. Unfortunately every time these ideas are suggested (by conservatives mostly) they're blasted in the media by liberals and NDPers.

Last time Harper wanted more prisons, the liberals said he wants to lock our children up! Its asinine.

anyone who believes Harper had a thought is an idiot.

Another question, what keeps these cities that the mayor wants criminals "banished" to, from goin to the PM and telling him that stay puff marshmallow mayor is crazy if he thinks he can download criminals into our backyard? Wouldn't the PM face some sort of political backlash from a decision like that?

Why not? Toronto already does this with it's homeless, in the form of a 1 way bus-ticket to other cities like Hamilton.. which downloads homeless costs to municipal tax-payers there.

Can't we build like one of those super prisons somewhere in the NWT, preferably somewhere -30 in the sun. I think prisons here are way too comfy for the crimes that put the criminals there. Don't we have a polical party that believes in punishing criminals and protecting us? Sorry to say but I'm not really knowledgable in government party politics, i dont know their platforms the way one should, but I know we're getting shot at under a conservative government right now, I don't recall the liberals or the ndp being particularly tough on crime either.

Edit, sorry I read your post wrong, the conservatives are the ones tough on crime? Crap we're screwed, the other two will never let them have their way out of sheer spite. I guess change starts at the ballot box with us. We've found our root cause, but to get the right people in there to change things. How to make the govt notice, maybe a gangster will shoot somebody outside the PMO

A Canuck Gulag Archipelago does have some merit - of course costs of prisons would increase x4 due to the remoteness and increased transportation costs of goods and increased salaries of those running them. Of course, translated into increased taxation for all of us.

anyone who believes Harper had a thought is an idiot.

I don't understand people that call Rob Ford and the PM idiots and dumb or stupid etc...

Those guys are smart enough to get there.
Clearly a majority voted for them, so who are the dummies now?

Can't we build like one of those super prisons somewhere in the NWT, preferably somewhere -30 in the sun. I think prisons here are way too comfy for the crimes that put the criminals there. Don't we have a polical party that believes in punishing criminals and protecting us? Sorry to say but I'm not really knowledgable in government party politics, i dont know their platforms the way one should, but I know we're getting shot at under a conservative government right now, I don't recall the liberals or the ndp being particularly tough on crime either.

Edit, sorry I read your post wrong, the conservatives are the ones tough on crime? Crap we're screwed, the other two will never let them have their way out of sheer spite. I guess change starts at the ballot box with us. We've found our root cause, but to get the right people in there to change things. How to make the govt notice, maybe a gangster will shoot somebody outside the PMO

See now we're getting somewhere, but why build a prison in the NWT when it's cheaper to chopper the convicted criminal up to say Alert, and drop them off with a winter coat. If they can make their way back to civilization they are free to rejoin society. We have all this space in Canada, why not use it for something.

What culture demands respect for nothing and then shoots at people for not giving it?
what culture has 1500 murders a year with the same size population as toronto?
what culture shoots guns in the air at concerts?
what cultures women have babies with absent and sometimes multiple fathers?
if you can name the culture than you are starting to figure out where the biggest part of the gun violence comes from

See now we're getting somewhere, but why build a prison in the NWT when it's cheaper to chopper the convicted criminal up to say Alert, and drop them off with a winter coat. If they can make their way back to civilization they are free to rejoin society. We have all this space in Canada, why not use it for something.

We're using it for "mantracker", lol. Maybe we should arm him and his guide and send them after criminals, no finish line, no compass, and a map of Korea just for a laugh.

You completely contradicted yourself. You dont blame cars for drunk driving accidents, so why rage against guns when people are the ones pulling the trigger?

The gun argument is so stupid. Crime is a socio-economic problem, it has absolutely nothing to do with guns.

My point is that I do think tougher gun laws make a difference. Just like regulations on the operation of a motor vehicle help to curb MVA related deaths - like drinking and driving. Compare gun related crimes in the US, (a country with very relaxed gun control laws) to any country like the UK, Hong Kong, France, Germany, all countries with strict gun control laws and you will see a staggering difference in gun related crime activity, incident's, homicides etc.

My point is that I do think tougher gun laws make a difference. Just like regulations on the operation of a motor vehicle help to curb MVA related deaths - like drinking and driving. Compare gun related crimes in the US, (a country with very relaxed gun control laws) to any country like the UK, Hong Kong, France, Germany, all countries with strict gun control laws and you will see a staggering difference in gun related crime activity, incident's, homicides etc.

You cannot compare those countries to the US because they all have different socioeconomic situations that influence the crime rates. Just like it would not be fair to say places like Jamaica that have tight gun control yet have higher crimes rates then the US, why.... socioeconomic situation.

Too many other factors influence the outcome, it is not a one dimensional issue.

What culture demands respect for nothing and then shoots at people for not giving it?
if you can name the culture than you are starting to figure out where the biggest part of the gun violence comes from

Just have to look at long term crime statistics not just in Toronto or even Canada but other countries as well. I was just reading into why Asian countries that are 'Oriental' in nature have far less serious crimes than North America and other countries. If anyone can understand why that would solve most of the crime problems. And it has nothing to do with poverty as some of these Asian countries are 3rd world with over 50% living in poverty.
It's all a matter of respecting the older people. And if you give respect without being forced to give it than you can respect everything else.

Tougher gun laws won't make a damn difference! Doesn't anyone watch The First 48?
Every shooter thinks he will get away with it, they don't care about the penalties.
They DO have the death penalty in some parts of USA, it doesn't change the stats.

I'll tell you what would matter, MY DAD!
If i got in the least bit of trouble, my DAD warned me he would make sure i live like a caveman if i didn't follow the rules.
When i came home with something worth 50$, he asked me where the item came from, and how i obtained it.
I threw some crab apples at cars with my friends one night around 13 years old, someone ratted, and i never had a more miserable summer vacation ever, i was begging for school to start.
If he would have found a gun in my room, i would still have a black and blue arse, and i would have gone to some military boarding school in upper Quebec.
The behaviour of many of todays kids is appalling to say the least, no respect, no concept of reality, no guidance and pull up your damn pants man!
So i'm blaming bad parenting first, or the lack of it completely.

I don't know. Please tell me, which culture is it?

What ultimately reduced drinking and driving deaths was a cultural change, that made it no longer socially acceptable to drink and drive. The laws certainly played a part in creating that change, but don't mistake what actually accomplished it.

Also don't make the mistake of comparing every other country to the US. Tougher laws don't change the behaviour of criminals very much. For example countries that have the death penalty don't necessarily have the lowest murder rates. Criminals are criminals, precisely because they don't care what the law says. Ban guns and criminals will still have them. Ban bullets and they'll still acquire them. We have very effective limitations placed on gun ownership already. The problem is that criminals don't file the necessary forms, nor pass the RCMP security checks.

Tougher gun laws won't make a damn difference! Doesn't anyone watch The First 48?
Every shooter thinks he will get away with it, they don't care about the penalties.
They DO have the death penalty in some parts of USA, it doesn't change the stats.

I'll tell you what would matter, MY DAD!
If i got in the least bit of trouble, my DAD warned me he would make sure i live like a caveman if i didn't follow the rules.
When i came home with something worth 50$, he asked me where the item came from, and how i obtained it.
I threw some crab apples at cars with my friends one night around 13 years old, someone ratted, and i never had a more miserable summer vacation ever, i was begging for school to start.
If he would have found a gun in my room, i would still have a black and blue arse, and i would have gone to some military boarding school in upper Quebec.
The behaviour of many of todays kids is appalling to say the least, no respect, no concept of reality, no guidance and pull up your damn pants man!
So i'm blaming bad parenting first, or the lack of it completely.

agreed.

there were serious punishments for "petty" offenses from my parents, and were until i was out of their house.

The US has 350 million people living in 50 different states with 50 different sets of laws. Only a fool would use federal US statistics on crime to compare to countries like France or UK, which combined dont even have half the population and one tenth the geographical and economic spread.

Give your head a good shake.

Back
Top Bottom