Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly..... | Page 345 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....

Who was in the wrong?

• Cop

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • Dude who got shot

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 55 49.5%

• Total voters
TPS, Douggie and others are all banding behind the cop. Respect the officers, she was baited and harassed etc. How about, "Nobody is above the law. The cops in this case will be disciplined and we have issued a directive that when not on official duties, police officers and vehicles can only park in legal parking spots as is the law for every other driver in the city. Failure to comply will result in officers receiving the same ticket as any other driver as well as a misconduct hearing."

The person who recorded it was on news talk 1010 this morning.
Apparently this “peeved citizen” is a former TPS officer of 24 years. He had a very different side of the story.
This is going to get fun.

I think the cop was given the appropriate amount of respect in this case. The citizen reflected the disdain they were presented with. Cop needs de-escalation, confrontation and mental health training as well as a refresher in the law and who it applies to.
The whole thing could have been over in 15-20 seconds. "Sorry, Sir. You're right. We shouldn't have parked here. Have a good day.", then drive off. Instead egos got involved.

The whole thing could have been over in 15-20 seconds. "Sorry, Sir. You're right. We shouldn't have parked here. Have a good day.", then drive off. Instead egos got involved.

That would require some humility and self awareness... 'Problem is, some public servants don't see themselves as such.
I've messed up and/or exercised less than perfect judgement on many occasions over my career and pretty much every time and acknowledgement and apology ended it.
Personally I don't give a #### where the cops park to grab their coffee or lunch or whatever... 'Some days they're run off their feet and are pressed for time. I bet there are days they're so busy they either miss their breaks or have to grab whatever whenever they can.
'Rather they double park for ten minutes than book 10-7 for half an hour.

That would require some humility and self awareness... 'Problem is, some public servants don't see themselves as such.
I've messed up and/or exercised less than perfect judgement on many occasions over my career and pretty much every time and acknowledgement and apology ended it.
Personally I don't give a #### where the cops park to grab their coffee or lunch or whatever... 'Some days they're run off their feet and are pressed for time. I bet there are days they're so busy they either miss their breaks or have to grab whatever whenever they can.
Lots of people don't have time to get their breaks/lunch and get all their work done. Only a small subset of those people think that time pressure relieves the need to comply with laws. If a normal citizen tried to do the same thing and had the same attitude as the cop and the cameraman was a cop, the citizen would be face down on the ground with a knee on their head being told to stop resisting.

I've seen both sides of the equation; police who think that they are our keepers rather than our defenders, and citizens who think that police are their personal servants, rather than servants of society at large. Both are arrogant morons.

If police are responding to a call, norms of traffic behaviour don't apply. They then are held to a different set of standards. If they are getting a coffee then there is nothing that gives them permission to break traffic law. Would it be better if they could pretty much stop anywhere in order to make that stop as short as possible, so they can get right back at it? Sure, however, in a world where their reputation needs some serious refurbishing, it's not the wisest move.

I've seen both sides of the equation; police who think that they are our keepers rather than our defenders, and citizens who think that police are their personal servants, rather than servants of society at large. Both are arrogant morons.

If police are responding to a call, norms of traffic behaviour don't apply. They then are held to a different set of standards. If they are getting a coffee then there is nothing that gives them permission to break traffic law. Would it be better if they could pretty much stop anywhere in order to make that stop as short as possible, so they can get right back at it? Sure, however, in a world where their reputation needs some serious refurbishing, it's not the wisest move.
They could have sent a minimum wage peon on a coffee run instead of two cops making $130K/year each if they wanted to be efficient with time/money.

They could have sent a minimum wage peon on a coffee run instead of two cops making $130K/year each if they wanted to be efficient with time/money.
Unless they have said peon in the back of the squad, that's impractical.

Unless they have said peon in the back of the squad, that's impractical.
Fine. Uber eats. I can't afford the time to find parking and get a coffee, bring it to me at the jobsite. There are many solutions that don't involve breaking the law. Unfortunately most cops are above the law in their hearts (and the union supports that position completely).

Fine. Uber eats. I can't afford the time to find parking and get a coffee, bring it to me at the jobsite. There are many solutions that don't involve breaking the law. Unfortunately most cops are above the law in their hearts (and the union supports that position completely).
Patrol officers don't exactly have the luxury of waiting around for delivery.

Citizens tend to show a lot more respect when officers don't give "Do as I say, not as I do" energy. Also, they are not supposed to react to such provocation.
I got that at an event I was volunteering at (Toronto Waterfront Marathon). I had accreditation and had to get from one place to another and the pay duty cop gave me grief. I rolled my eyes at him, he started to light up on me and I showed him my 'walk on water' i.d. AGAIN. He shut up pretty quickly but obviously didn't like it. I think he was suffering from Smallus Dickus.

I got that at an event I was volunteering at (Toronto Waterfront Marathon). I had accreditation and had to get from one place to another and the pay duty cop gave me grief. I rolled my eyes at him, he started to light up on me and I showed him my 'walk on water' i.d. AGAIN. He shut up pretty quickly but obviously didn't like it. I think he was suffering from Smallus Dickus.
Like that one marshal that I dealt with at Calabogie, the first time they held SBK there, except that in my case it took finding a superior.

Which always seems to accompany the ever prevalent Biggus Badgeus syndrome
In Canada we miss out on the Dickus Swingus contest when federal letter agencies get involved. Nobody seems to give a crap about the pile of poo that is the RCMP and the other letter agencies don't often deal with local LE.

That cop didn't just show poor judgement, she showed that a citizen giving her grief about parking is enough to trigger her. She's in the wrong line of work. Policing is a thankless job and part of it, a large part of it is dealing with the public.

I thought they were hiring people with brain cells (university degrees) these days. Just who are you passing @jc100 ...

But in all seriousness, @Rob MacLennan has the right of it. "Sorry for the inconvenience, If you wish to make a complaint my badge number is x my name is x. Have a good day." And begone. No sergeant is going to give a **** about a parking complaint. But being on video and getting in the news about flipping off a citizen will certainly get some higher ups attention.

Last edited:
3 of my kids high school friends are young police officers. Sadly, they’re focused on Sunshine list membership and avoiding danger. None have “law and order” as a driving factor… pay and retiring at 52 are top of mind when we talk.

3 of my kids high school friends are young police officers. Sadly, they’re focused on Sunshine list membership and avoiding danger. None have “law and order” as a driving factor… pay and retiring at 52 are top of mind when we talk.
A retiring grey hair cop said the new recruits he works with have the same attitude. Weasel your way up to a higher rank and aim for freedom 55 or whatever it is.

TPS, Douggie and others are all banding behind the cop. Respect the officers, she was baited and harassed etc. How about, "Nobody is above the law. The cops in this case will be disciplined and we have issued a directive that when not on official duties, police officers and vehicles can only park in legal parking spots as is the law for every other driver in the city. Failure to comply will result in officers receiving the same ticket as any other driver as well as a misconduct hearing."

Years ago a friend of my mother was driving on 27 north of Barrie in poor winter conditions when he was passed by a car that went into the ditch.

He pulled over to check on the driver saying something to the effect "What the hell were you thinking?' and was told to "F*** O**". So he did, only to find out later she was a cop when she had him charged with leaving the scene of a collision. The prosecutor lowered the charge to a minimum saying she could make it worse.

So how what do you use for examples when you raise your kids?

Back
Top Bottom