fuel to$1.30 a litre in GTA | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

fuel to$1.30 a litre in GTA

Chevy Cruze has a 1350cc direct-injection mill that pumps out 138 hp and even more torque. They also have a Cruze Eco model that is lighter and less draggy, though assuming an average gas price of $1.50/L you'd have to drive about 24 000 km per year in the automatic or 32 000 km per year in the manual to recoup the extra cost of the Eco model in fuel savings.

Ooops nevermind, it's a turbo and doesn't feature direct injection.

Ooops nevermind, it's a turbo and doesn't feature direct injection.

Don't worry - it doesn't get anywhere near what it is quoted at for fuel economy. I averaged 7.8 - 8.1 L/100 km hwy between Detroit - Toronto.

Don't worry - it doesn't get anywhere near what it is quoted at for fuel economy. I averaged 7.8 - 8.1 L/100 km hwy between Detroit - Toronto.

Fuel efficiency ratings aren't meant to tell any one person what their fuel consumption will be, it's meant to allow us to compare one model to the next.

Fuel efficiency ratings aren't meant to tell any one person what their fuel consumption will be, it's meant to allow us to compare one model to the next.

Certainly that is the way it should be - however I have seen more than enough calibration/control strategies where certain portions of code serve no purpose other than deflating the consumption figures when run on the EPA mandated drive cycle.
This is the hwy drive cycle:

hwfet.gif

For that reason, real world economy figures from owners are generally more indicative for comparison purposes. Some vehicles (BMW 335d is one example that comes to mind) actually hit their EPA published targets. In my experience most do not and are off by 15-20%.

FWIW my 265hp 4400lb AWD Ford Edge will get around 9.0.9.5 L/100km if i have the cruise set at 105.

That's life. Rich get richer and the middle class gets poorer.

99% of the public do not understand that it is NOT the lack of supply or tensions in the middle east that causing oil to rise. It's the money printing by central bankers that causing oil/food/everything else to go up.

FWIW my 265hp 4400lb AWD Ford Edge will get around 9.0.9.5 L/100km if i have the cruise set at 105.

That is impressive. What does it do when you pull a trailer? Any DI related issues to date?

Im interested to see what the 2012 focus will do.

That is impressive. What does it do when you pull a trailer? Any DI related issues to date?

Im interested to see what the 2012 focus will do.

With a 2000lb 5x8 enclosed with all my crap in it i keep it in tow mode so it doesn't go into 6th gear. It's about 12-13L/100km while towing.

Certainly that is the way it should be - however I have seen more than enough calibration/control strategies where certain portions of code serve no purpose other than deflating the consumption figures when run on the EPA mandated drive cycle.

For that reason, real world economy figures from owners are generally more indicative for comparison purposes. Some vehicles (BMW 335d is one example that comes to mind) actually hit their EPA published targets. In my experience most do not and are off by 15-20%.

All the manufacturers game the system as much as they can, and they all do about as good a job of it so using EPA estimates to compare them is still valid. As for real-world comparisons, I find fuel consumption reported by individuals match pretty closely to the EPA test results on their website; http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

Though in Canada our real-world comparison would probably fare worse due to the cold and poor road conditions compared to the US.

I find fuel consumption reported by individuals match pretty closely to the EPA test results on their website; http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
The #1 selling vehicle in USA in 2010 was the Ford F150. Using the fueleconomy.gov website, the sample size for all 2010 models of F150 where owners that reported their fuel economy was.....13

So 13 owners out of the 500000+ units sold last year reported their fuel economy figures on the site. I don't think you can draw conclusions with such a small sample size

The point I am trying to make is that some vehicles/manufactures habitually yield poorer (or better) than EPA ratings for fuel economy. Subaru is a good example of an under performer. In all the subaru's I have driven I have never been able to match what they claim in their ads and press releases.

At any rate if people actually put as much thought into the figures as you have - they would be way ahead of the game anyways. The folks that impulsively sell their current vehicle because they see the flashy ad promising 6.0L/100km hwy (yes i used small font on purpose) will be in for a big surprise.

Last Sunday, I put gas in my bike. The reserve was not even on and I did not full right up. It cost me $18.

I remember I used to fill an 18L tank when the reserve comes on and it only costs $14 max

The Fiesta is a really cool car (and I mean it). Ironically, its best quality is a weakness: the problem is the size, too frigging small. And expensive.
The one I saw on the showroom last week was $19,000 + options = $21,000 plus PDI, plus taxes, plus taxes, etc.
The new Focus is a better buy, for $22,000 plus taxes you get a bigger and better looking car.

Same with the accent, the new Elantra is so much better.

Me? I am currently shopping for a '11 Ford Flex, Nissan Quest, or Sienna.
Is the price of gas going to change my plans? Yes, because I can wait... chances are I will delay my purchase until the fall or winter.
Or check the Honda minivan, it is supposed to be more fuel efficient. But Honda has the most expensive finance rate right now, so I wasn't considering it...

I actually like both of those cars. My saying that to her is not a shot at those cars as much as it is at her. I just don't think someone that buys cars with 400+- hp, turbos, AWD and require premium, as she likes to.... should be complaining about fuel costs! $2000 +- mantainence intervals, $2000+ for tires that only last 15K kms if lucky, etc..... yet an extra $4-$5 for a tank of gas is an issue..... sound kind of silly to me!
Same thing with the people who drive big trucks/SUVs (that don't need to) and then complain about the cost of fueling them!?

I actually like both of those cars. My saying that to her is not a shot at those cars as much as it is at her. I just don't think someone that buys cars with 400+- hp, turbos, AWD and require premium, as she likes to.... should be complaining about fuel costs! $2000 +- mantainence intervals, $2000+ for tires that only last 15K kms if lucky, etc..... yet an extra $4-$5 for a tank of gas is an issue..... sound kind of silly to me!
Same thing with the people who drive big trucks/SUVs (that don't need to) and then complain about the cost of fueling them!?

Yep, my truck takes more fuel now that I lifted it... But, that was my choice so I won't complain. If I could, I would just drive a small little car but I use my truck consistently with my lifestyle for towing every weekend, hauling the bike around, fishing and hunting purposes plus it's good to have a utility vehicle. There are people I know that have trucks and honestly could get away with something better.

Gas here in Petawawa area is around $128 already. Weather is still not good enough to ride to work and the bike is waiting for some fresh rubber...

If you look at it economically, my 8500 lb Chev Express 3500 turbo diesel van that is the size and shape of two garden sheds, is way more fuel efficient than most anything.....if you look at it the right way....Consider that it would take 3 sedans to carry these same people:
. If it has 15 people in it, and pulling a couple bikes in an enclosed trailer, fuel economy is barely affected, and it returns 12.5L/100km-ish on the highway at 110 kmh with the cruise on.

So it's only inefficient when I am the only one in it...almost every day,LOL

I know someone that recently bought a Hyundai to go with their pick up. With driving habits and real needs for truck... It was more cost effective to own both and use the car whenever there's no NEED for their truck. Cost of car, ins., etc... and they're still saving a few dollars.
My plumber showed up the other day in a Dodge Caliber. It did look kind of odd but he had a pretty cool little set up and said he rarely needed more.... gas prices , etc...

Price of gas going up to $1.36 tomorrow

I hate it when gas prices go up.

I have to listen to stupid sheeple talk about selling their vehicle to get a smaller one. So they take thousands of dollars in depreciation costs and reduced trade-in values for their gas guzzler all to save $500 a year in gas, and pay more in loan interest and full-coverage insurance premiums.

I have to listen to Facebook idiots telling me to boycott certain gas companies. Yeah energy/drug addicts, that'll show them.

I look at Minivan Mary and SUV Sally speeding past me up to a red light only to slam on the brakes at the last second, with ignored toddlers in the back feasting on a TV screen so that they can babble at 20 years old, being interviewed at my local gas station spewing drivel about rip-off gas companies as these stupid ******* suck every last drop of fuel out of the ground tanks.

I could go on.

But my Scotch tumbler has gone dry...

Back
Top Bottom