Coyotes | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coyotes

A dog walker told my wife to not pick up a small dog as it can be interpreted as grabbing one of the pack.
If your dog is 20lbs or less, pick it up. A coyote knows who’s who, they will snatch a dog off the ground.

My elderly neighbour had her lapdog snatched in front of my house, a couple of us chased off the coyote but the dog didn’t make it. The coyotes got another lapdog on a leash at a park 400m up the street.

Spent a half hour or so at 430 am this morning sitting on the edge of a field.. watching the local coyotes be coyotes. It looked like the dominant pair were fighting(?) with 3 slightly smaller ones.. Mostly chasing each other around in circles.. with little spats here and there. One of the 3 was one that we first started seeing last fall.. with a broken leg.. Haven't seen it since December.. so glad it survived the winter.. it gets around good now.. Then my buddy showed up on the other side of the field.. let his dog go to come and meet mine.. and all the coyotes scattered as soon as they heard/saw the dog coming down the embankment... The 3 coyotes spent the next while sitting on the hill watching our dogs run/play around the field... before going about their ways.

Spent a half hour or so at 430 am this morning sitting on the edge of a field.. watching the local coyotes be coyotes. It looked like the dominant pair were fighting(?) with 3 slightly smaller ones.. Mostly chasing each other around in circles.. with little spats here and there. One of the 3 was one that we first started seeing last fall.. with a broken leg.. Haven't seen it since December.. so glad it survived the winter.. it gets around good now.. Then my buddy showed up on the other side of the field.. let his dog go to come and meet mine.. and all the coyotes scattered as soon as they heard/saw the dog coming down the embankment... The 3 coyotes spent the next while sitting on the hill watching our dogs run/play around the field... before going about their ways.
The biggest problem with coyotes in our area is they don't eat enough raccoons.

That would be coyote’s being home schooled. The larger mom and dad, the smaller are this years offspring.

They teach them how to fight and hunt.

That would be coyote’s being home schooled. The larger mom and dad, the smaller are this years offspring.

They teach them how to fight and hunt.

This was definitely two different sets having a dispute.. Slightly smaller.. but adults or close to it.
The broken leg one is at least year old.

For you folks that live in that area.... Princess Margaret Park.
Both dogs were on leashes but one didn't stop when told to? So the dogs were on a leash with no human on the other end? They brought snacks for the coyotes. Hopefully they learned their lesson.

here's another story of attacks in the same park..
At the 1 minute mark.. there's footage of an actually attack happening. In it.. you can see the coyotes attacking a dog.. most of them stopped when the person filming yelled at them.
I agree with the researcher. Although coyotes are part of the natural environment, now that they have started attacking dogs, it's time for them to go. You can't change that behaviour and it will continue to escalate. The hard part is trapping coyotes without trapping off-leash dogs. Hunting them would be easier but too much tree-hugging for that.

I agree with the researcher. Although coyotes are part of the natural environment, now that they have started attacking dogs, it's time for them to go. You can't change that behaviour and it will continue to escalate. The hard part is trapping coyotes without trapping off-leash dogs. Hunting them would be easier but too much tree-hugging for that.
We need more deer in the city so the mountain lions, bobcats, lynxes, and timber wolves can retake their native lands. Every condo and apartment needs a few raccoons, skunks, bats and opossums to balance out nature.

Rats are one of God's creatures and need space as well. Stop putting traps and poison bait in grocery stores and restaurants. Rats need food too.

Bats are just flying mice. Let them into your attic. After a few years you can collect and sell their guano for fertilizer.

Put up statues of Trudeau and his cabinet in the parks. Pigeons need toilet facilities too.

Well, at least one of my suggestions has merit.

We need more deer in the city so the mountain lions, bobcats, lynxes, and timber wolves can retake their native lands. Every condo and apartment needs a few raccoons, skunks, bats and opossums to balance out nature.
Driving through Haliburton a few weeks ago, we saw 30 deer within 5 km of downtown. Not sure what happened to the predators/hunting season up there. Thankfully all were off the road but damn, that's too many.

I know some people near us that walk around outside with walking sticks simply because they don't feel comfortable walking alone in the evening. I walk at night and one of the streets borders Erindale Park and those mofos are howling very loudly.

I don't have a walking stick, but do see a coyote every now and then walking around me. I guess my headphones don't help as I'm deaf to the world, so if something came up behind me...

Maybe time for a walking stick.

I know some people near us that walk around outside with walking sticks simply because they don't feel comfortable walking alone in the evening. I walk at night and one of the streets borders Erindale Park and those mofos are howling very loudly.

I don't have a walking stick, but do see a coyote every now and then walking around me. I guess my headphones don't help as I'm deaf to the world, so if something came up behind me...

Helps for the dirtbags too. There are some teenagers in orillia that are very well known to the police that maced and robbed someone around lunch earlier this week. Catch and release by the courts. If you accidentally hit them with your walking stick while falling, maybe they might actually learn a lesson.

I walk my dog through Erindale Park and the old Mississauga dump some times... late at night.
I've seen coyotes in both spots, but never had an issue with them...
I carry a break stick.. ;)

I walk my dog through Erindale Park and the old Mississauga dump some times... late at night.
I've seen coyotes in both spots, but never had an issue with them...
I carry a break stick.. ;)
What's a 'break stick'? And wow you must live close to me then! Mind you Erindale is a large park so lots of potential entry points.

Back
Top Bottom