Coyotes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coyotes

What shocked me is a farmer we know near Wasaga told us he’s got wolves in the woods nearby, and a Timberwolf! What the eff…I thought those things were only near Algonquin and further north.
We saw a pair run across the road in Milton...my hackles actually rose when the white one turned and looked at me. I was shocked but looked it up and sure enough there was a pair reported in the area....they are big animals. These were timber wolves.
I've seen the smaller grey wolves as well cross HWY 25 on the Oakville / MIssissauga border at Burnamthorpe. Went back and saw where it had bedded down waiting to cross.

I live near Erindale and these things are getting larger each year. Last year we saw one that was way bigger than others.
Coywolves are bigger with the power of a wolf and not afraid of humans like a coyote
Coyote, wolf hybrid caught on video in Milton
Boston 25 News
https://www.boston25news.com › news › coyote-wolf-hy...

30 Apr 2019 — A Milton man captured the wild animal, leading some on social media to call it a coywolf, which is a cross between a coyote and a wolf. But

Last edited:
Friendly, nobody planning on take it home for a house pet.
It was a reply to the OP's comment.
Our actions direct or indirect impact the wildlife around us.

20 yrs ago the Ministry of natural resources told us their scientists were sure a coyote / wolf or domestic dog could not interbreed . Then a hiker in Cape Breton gets killed and they shoot a coyote and do DNA tests reveal it’s a hybrid . Coyotes in my hood are very used to people , walk within 50ft of people regularly and seem comfortable. We have no outdoor cats in this hood , we do have raccoons , and epidemic levels of squirrels. There have been small dog attacks in back yards . But put a small dog out at 11pm and not go with it ? It’s like putting a cheeseburger in front of a fat kid .
We can co exist , people just need to understand where to walk , and when and denning season . In parts of Africa lions wander around , in parts of BC brown bears wander around , polar bears wander around Manitoba . Educate your kids why coyotes are doing coyote stuff , not throw rocks at them .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

It's not the singles you need to worry about, it's the packs. You can sometimes hear them all howling in the middle of the night around here, and it's a bit eerie. A few years ago I was out early one morning just as the sun was coming up and I spotted a pack of 5 walking down the middle of our street as if they owned the place. That was an eye opener and when I started to worry about them. I didn't think to take a pic or video (should have), but found this one that's close:

1717589796158.png

I know a guy who lost a cousin to a coywolf attack in Nova Scotia. The coyotes are occasionally attacking small children. When's enough?
I have a similar line to dogs. Aggressive behaviour towards kids is not tolerated. If there is an unprovoked attack, lights out. If the coyote eats your cat/small dog. That's on the pet owner not the coyote. You fed it snacks.

The coyotes that killed Taylor Mitchell were honed for big game.. including moose.
From wikipedia "Her death is the only known fatal coyote attack on an adult and the only known fatal coyote attack on a human ever confirmed in Canada." Yes it happened but it is almost irrelevant for the average person in Canada (unless you knew her).

I don't love being startled by things with teeth in the woods but I've never been attacked by a wild animal. Domestic dogs on the other hand have got me a few times.

The coyotes that killed Taylor Mitchell were honed for big game.. including moose.
Taylor Mitchell was killed by coywolves -- a lot different than Coyotes. Coywolves are hybrids (mongrels) of coyotes and wolves, they live in packs, are considerably larger than coyotes and behave like wolves. Coywolves hunt in packs so they can take larger game, coyotes hunt solo and they take fewer risks, tackling prey that doesn't put up a fight. That's why they avoid cats, raccoons, mid size dogs and people.

Taylor Mitchell was killed by coywolves -- a lot different than Coyotes. Coywolves are hybrids (mongrels) of coyotes and wolves, they live in packs, are considerably larger than coyotes and behave like wolves. Coywolves hunt in packs so they can take larger game, coyotes hunt solo and they take fewer risks, tackling prey that doesn't put up a fight. That's why they avoid cats, raccoons, mid size dogs and people.

We have eastern coyotes.. they are a hybrid of eastern wolves and western coyotes.
Taylor Mitchell was killed by eastern coyotes. The 3 coyotes that are believed to have killed her were all shot or trapped.. the dominate male.. that had to be chased off her.. was less than 50lbs.
There's a photo of the dominate male and another taken shortly before they attacked her.

We have quite a few in our area (near the Humber). We see them often, not just singles but in small packs wondering the streets at night, in groups of three or so. A few years ago a lady came to our door in a panic as three of them were hunting her dog as she walked it.

The wildlife's lack of fear of people is a problem in urban environments. While I think trowing rocks at them is wrong I have been known to turn the hose on the odd animal in the yard or maybe ping them with a tennis ball... Motion sprinkler also works well as it startles them.

That isn't significantly different than what happened nearby when a coyote went after a neighbour's dog, being walked on a leash in the public park. The coyote chased the dog through a full playground and was only distracted when someone threw something at it. The coyote didn't run off very far and continued to stalk.

I was out for an early morning ride one day years back just outside Smiths Falls. I saw this mangy dog from a distance and thought “which cruel idiot has let a large Alsatian escape?” The thing ambled down from a small hill right onto the road in front of me and it was a wolf. I had no idea what to do so just sat on the bike and it eventually wandered off into a field.

This guy or gal shows up every couple of days photo is from the neighbors back yard.
79826075bb66943c59fe1e1f25ede179.jpg
998059d2c89022d60f1f1b9b1fd54a13.jpg

Sent from the future

It's not the singles you need to worry about, it's the packs. You can sometimes hear them all howling in the middle of the night around here, and it's a bit eerie. A few years ago I was out early one morning just as the sun was coming up and I spotted a pack of 5 walking down the middle of our street as if they owned the place. That was an eye opener and when I started to worry about them. I didn't think to take a pic or video (should have), but found this one that's close:

View attachment 68129
That would be a young family out for a walk, not a hunting pack. Mom and dad will do mom and dad things to protect their kits, but there is little chance.

Those look like the scraggly coyotes I'd see roaming around when I lived in the desert south west, they control rodents and snakes but are smaller and more timid than the urban coyotes in the GTA.

Typically from what I see is if animals are showing up around your dwelling there is typically a reason for it.

I was out for an early morning ride one day years back just outside Smiths Falls. I saw this mangy dog from a distance and thought “which cruel idiot has let a large Alsatian escape?” The thing ambled down from a small hill right onto the road in front of me and it was a wolf. I had no idea what to do so just sat on the bike and it eventually wandered off into a field.

Did loud pipes save you life?

They have gotten a lot bolder or way more prolific, when i was a teen i never saw a coyote in prime .22LR range (>60 yards) saw many foxes that close tho.

I have a pack in the ravine across the street. I hear them yipping and the screams of whatever they're killing in the middle of the night. They're vapour when I'm down there with my dog during the day. She knows they're there but doesn't go after them. If they're up out of the ravine it's a different story. That's her turf and she will go after them if I let her. Saw a Coywolf in the field beside the ravine one day. 80ish yards away. It definitely wasn't a Coyote. Looked about 70 lbs. The two of them just stood there and stared at each other. Both thought it was a no win situation and the Coywolf eventually slinked off into the woods.

AP1GczP4v1Lin-HpMAY33VDhoWxYe-iNJE_zOasdt_qGtr2W7ERjEVqSmS0B72urW_aEGXO948y-PDMc_wCXE-_DC5t2822TiHWE1XNv1qvQB_ur_CEghM8erERqXUOS7bPRzGLv7JXR2E__3yc2PGN0OZHG=w598-h900-s-no-gm

Back
Top Bottom