Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 413 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

That article, although probably containing tidbits of validity, appears to be loaded with the usual anti-EV clickbait and propaganda, though.

The claim that Uber drivers "their batteries are dying quickly" is counter to other published data on EV battery longevity (as long as one excludes the Nissan Leaf, which as everyone should know by now, lacks proper thermal management).

The claim that it's using Panasonic pouch batteries is inaccurate. It's using a multiple of the cylindrical-cell battery packs that Tesla is using in their cars. Granted, that could be either 2170 or 4680 cells, but it hardly matters. Tesla can build Model 3 and Y with either.

Yes, electrical distribution infrastructure needs to be upgraded in order to facilitate mass-market adoption. Everyone knows that ... and we've got 20ish years to do it.

The suspension comment may concern the front suspension (which carries less of the load), but the rear certainly uses axles. I highly doubt the front suspension uses car parts, and if it does, Tesla deserves what's going to happen to them. I see no reason for the front suspension being a double-wishbone design to be an issue. Regular transport trucks use leaf springs and beam axles because cheap, not because good. If they needed to use independent front suspension for packaging reasons, and they did it right (and with Tesla, this is an open question), that alone is not a concern.

Agree on center seating being stupid.

To be fair, 400 miles would seem pretty decent if Tesla hadn't promised 500 miles to begin with (even though, apparently, it will do 500 miles in ideal conditions).

EV trucks from other manufacturers (with more reasonable expectations!) are on the market in Europe already. Electric trucks - a complete solution

I suspect a lot of the reason for the lengthy delays on both the Semi and Cybertruck is that someone with the initials E M had some ideas that proved to be stupid, and took a long time for engineering to come close enough. We know that the near-production Cybertruck only resembles the prototype on the surface and at a glance. Bulletproof windows, gone. Exoskeleton, gone.

The weight is less than I thought it would be (6600 - 6900 lbs) - smidge more than F150 Lightning, comparable to R1T, less than GM BT1XX but it's likely that the GM trucks have much more battery capacity. My prediction: Cybertruck isn't going to set benchmarks when it comes to range, particularly when towing.

I suspect a lot of the reason for the lengthy delays on both the Semi and Cybertruck is that someone with the initials E M had some ideas that proved to be stupid, and took a long time for engineering to come close enough. We know that the near-production Cybertruck only resembles the prototype on the surface and at a glance. Bulletproof windows, gone. Exoskeleton, gone.

The weight is less than I thought it would be (6600 - 6900 lbs) - smidge more than F150 Lightning, comparable to R1T, less than GM BT1XX but it's likely that the GM trucks have much more battery capacity. My prediction: Cybertruck isn't going to set benchmarks when it comes to range, particularly when towing.
But it will sell like hotcakes when the early adopters get their teeth into it.

But it will sell like hotcakes when the early adopters get their teeth into it.
Certainly they have an order backlog. Certainly Tesla has a fanboi crowd. Once those have their vehicles, people will see Cybertruck's poor outward visibility (A pillar, rear quarter), poor bed access (high sides), limited bed and frunk size (no wheel intrusions in bed was achieved by making the whole thing the between-wheelwells width), spartan interior, and I predict unremarkable efficiency and range due to aero ... and buy something else. Ram just announced their plug-in hybrid truck; that should address those nervous about range while towing. Personally even though I'm not a fan of the weight of BT1XX, that would still be my pick... disclaimer, that and other GM BEVs paid quite a few of my bills ...

Certainly they have an order backlog. Certainly Tesla has a fanboi crowd. Once those have their vehicles, people will see Cybertruck's poor outward visibility (A pillar, rear quarter), poor bed access (high sides), limited bed and frunk size (no wheel intrusions in bed was achieved by making the whole thing the between-wheelwells width), spartan interior, and I predict unremarkable efficiency and range due to aero ... and buy something else. Ram just announced their plug-in hybrid truck; that should address those nervous about range while towing. Personally even though I'm not a fan of the weight of BT1XX, that would still be my pick... disclaimer, that and other GM BEVs paid quite a few of my bills ...
While I just bought the GTI...I'm actually looking into what would be the next replacement as I have a slow day at work...

The Kona EV and Bolt EUV appear to be the cars that I can flip to without much (if any) additional funds required.

Love the GTI, but I feel the requirement for my wife to drive it is going to become a pain in the *** so may have to look into options.

While I just bought the GTI...I'm actually looking into what would be the next replacement as I have a slow day at work...

The Kona EV and Bolt EUV appear to be the cars that I can flip to without much (if any) additional funds required.

Love the GTI, but I feel the requirement for my wife to drive it is going to become a pain in the *** so may have to look into options.
I say we start a poll on who changes vehicles the quickest ... contenders: EVOX, BigPoppa, Mimico_polak. It's a close race I'd guess.

Where's George when we need him? I think he's slowed down but he had three or four cars while MP had the Volt.
Calling @Georg3__ ... maybe he'll answer the call.

Now mind you...I wouldn't go to a full EV too soon if it means me adding in $. If it's a straight swap...I don't see the harm.

I say we start a poll on who changes vehicles the quickest ... contenders: EVOX, BigPoppa, Mimico_polak. It's a close race I'd guess.
Well, if you start that poll, I would be last. I tend to keep my vehicles till they are beyond dead. Both bike & car are 13 years old. Had them since new. :cool:

Well, if you start that poll, I would be last. I tend to keep my vehicles till they are beyond dead. Both bike & car are 13 years old. Had them since new. :cool:
Financially, that's always a great move.

This is the best way financially….but it’s just not as much fun.

I’ve realized I’m most likely not going to be able to pick up investment properties so I accept that fact. And cars and bikes give me pleasure.

I’ve realized I’m most likely not going to be able to pick up investment properties so I accept that fact. And cars and bikes give me pleasure.
Absolutely 100% ... I learned the hard way that you have to smell the roses along the way. Having said that, I also need to look to the future when I won't have a daily job in retirement to fund my life so it's a balance for sure.

Last edited:

Some friends have lost count but they figure they have had over 100 vehicles between the two 40 somethings. Never owned more than three at a time. Changed very often.

Every time I realize a new truck could cost me a million dollars over 10 years makes me think nope. I will invest the money instead

Sent from the future
Almost every one was used and he is very good at buying at the right price so cost was minimal. Obviously there was some lost opportunity costs but all of the cars were five figures. You need something to drive and cheap vehicles arent that plentiful anymore so even that is minimal. Hell, this guy has made money on every boat he's owned which is very rare.

I just couldn't deal with the hassle.of that many changes. I try (sometimes unsuccessfully) to change vehicles less than once a decade.

Every time I realize a new truck could cost me a million dollars over 10 years makes me think nope. I will invest the money instead

Sent from the future
If you can turn 80-100k into a million dollars in 10 …send me those stock tips too!

this makes me hopeful they are going to at least try to sell close to original pricing.
there would have been no way to sell it anywhere close to that pricing without people turning around and reselling to make a huge profit with current EV and vehicle prices.
especially with how limited their original production is going to be.

Back
Top Bottom