Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 414 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Asking for a friend...
1699929886000.png

"Don't bother me right now. I'm busy trolling people on X."

Meanwhile........

giphy.gif

Probably realized the only people that will buy them are those hoping to flip them to other desperate Tesla fanboys besides the actual fanboys.
Apparently (i can't find information other than rumours) there was a big jump in cancelations. Some people apparently tried to corner the market with hundreds of reservations. When they pull out, that is tens of thousands tesla has to pay out. They need those reservations to avoid conventional expensive financing.

Best video I've found so far of the Cybertruck and interior is ... I think 'tiny' is an understatement.

Well this is going to suck for those that charge away from home regularly...

Disappointed but not surprised. Why would a corporation leave so much profit on the table. Hydro One doesn't care about carbon emissions, they only care about profit.

You're paying for the convenience. EVs do not make sense if you can't routinely charge at home (or cheaply or free at work).

The previous time-based payments gave fast-charging EVs (like the Ioniq) a big advantage over slowish-fast-charging EVs like mine. The new kWh-based setup evens it out.

You're paying for the convenience. EVs do not make sense if you can't routinely charge at home (or cheaply or free at work).

The previous time-based payments gave fast-charging EVs (like the Ioniq) a big advantage over slowish-fast-charging EVs like mine. The new kWh-based setup evens it out.
I talked to my buddy that just bought an Ioniq 6. All good so far. His daily commute is more than 45 minutes each way on 80 km/h roads. As expected, keeping it plugged into 120V overnight doesn't get back all the range but he has enough to get through the week without worries and it catches up on the weekend. Full again before monday morning. He is working on getting Level 2 installed which will give him flexibility.

I talked to my buddy that just bought an Ioniq 6. All good so far. His daily commute is more than 45 minutes each way on 80 km/h roads. As expected, keeping it plugged into 120V overnight doesn't get back all the range but he has enough to get through the week without worries and it catches up on the weekend. Full again before monday morning. He is working on getting Level 2 installed which will give him flexibility.
A buddy of mine does the same with a Model 3. 110V charge every night isn’t enough to bring him back to full, but enough to get to work and back so he just kinda floats it until his L2 is installed.

I got to work early enough I’d part the car close to the L1 outlet I’d charge the Volt to practically full during a workday.

@Brian P didnt consider that as I thought they were always by kW and not by time. Makes sense that its now more even.

How you liking the Bolt after this much time with it?

Awesome. I've still only ever had one trip to Ottawa and one trip to Windsor that relied on using public DC fast-charging.
Im going to go for a test drive of one of those and the Kona EV. May as well see what’s what and maybe flip that GTI.

It’s fun, but a real pain in the *** when I need the van and wife can’t take the manual car.

Rented a Model Y for a couple of days and I am now firmly in the "EVs not ready for primetime" camp.

20231024_053917-X2.jpg

The guy at the rental agency said to return it with a full battery. Said it only takes 1 hour to charge up to 90%.

20231024_055424-X2.jpg

So I go early to return it, only to find a whole bunch of only L1 chargers in the area and it's going to take 4 hours to get from 70%-100% charge. Only L2 charger is downtown.

EVINIT-X3.jpg

Whatever, after an hour of sitting there like an idiot charging at a measly 11kW, I unplugged and let them charge me the "unfilled tank" fee.

Rental return guy didn't know how to read the battery display and didn't charge me anyway.

Last edited:
I’m a firm believer that EV only makes sense for a very specific segment of the population, and we’re not ready yet for mass adoption…regardless of what Trudy or any other politician tells us.

If it wasn’t for the stupid Tesla build quality issues and Elons insanity, and continual changes of adding and removing (turn signal stalk anyone) items…I’d be in a Model3 by now.

I’m a firm believer that EV only makes sense for a very specific segment of the population, and we’re not ready yet for mass adoption…regardless of what Trudy or any other politician tells us.

If it wasn’t for the stupid Tesla build quality issues and Elons insanity, and continual changes of adding and removing (turn signal stalk anyone) items…I’d be in a Model3 by now.

Have you driven one? The Model 3 I took a ride in had really crap sound insulation. No engine sound but the road and wind noise was intolerable. Maybe it was the car I had, but it seems like it was made on a budget.

Model Y was a lot better build quality, quiet and comfortable. I'd own one... if it wasn't electric...

EVs are not good rental cars ... you're generally travelling to a strange area in which you don't know what the charging infrastructure is like. As for the Tesla, I thought the car is supposed to be able to find Superchargers on its own! There's one at Winston Churchill and 401, there's another near Sherway Gardens. And I can't even use those!

Teslas aren't known for good ride quality and NVH consistent with their price tags...

My Bolt drives like a normal car. It doesn't ride like an S-klasse Benz, either, but the price tag shouldn't lead anyone to expect that. I'm fine with it.

Awesome. I've still only ever had one trip to Ottawa and one trip to Windsor that relied on using public DC fast-charging.

Do you drive with an energy conserving mindset.. Slow take offs, easy on the AC, etc...to get the most range?
Do you drive like that all the time?

Have you driven one? The Model 3 I took a ride in had really crap sound insulation. No engine sound but the road and wind noise was intolerable. Maybe it was the car I had, but it seems like it was made on a budget.

Model Y was a lot better build quality, quiet and comfortable. I'd own one... if it wasn't electric...
Yes I’ve driven two different Model 3 versions, and a Model Y.

The 3 was great drive…but garbage sound insulation. It’s a 30k drivetrain in a 20k car.

The Y was quieter but firmer and I preferred the drive in the 3.

Both hailed *** when pushed. Even the Mini EV hauled nicely when pushed. But as it’s FWD it gets hopping fast.

Rented a Model Y for a couple of days and I am now firmly in the "EVs not ready for primetime" camp.

20231024_053917-X2.jpg

The guy at the rental agency said to return it with a full battery. Said it only takes 1 hour to charge up to 90%.

20231024_055424-X2.jpg

So I go early to return it, only to find a whole bunch of only L1 chargers in the area and it's going to take 4 hours to get from 70%-100% charge. Only L2 charger is downtown.

EVINIT-X3.jpg

Whatever, after an hour of sitting there like an idiot charging at a measly 11kW, I unplugged and let them charge me the "unfilled tank" fee.

Rental return guy didn't know how to read the battery display and didn't charge me anyway.
Hey were you in Mississauga?

If so, next time, I have an L2 charger at home and you could have charged up at my place for free

Back
Top Bottom