Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 379 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Majority would not be putting those types of miles on an EV.

Those who do laugh all the way to the bank in gas savings though.

I noticed a local car parts place out here in my neck of the woods that does deliveries to a million different garages has a Bolt now.

So, get this.

Ivy is still working on upgrading their charging-network software. At the moment, it appears that they have the RFID-tag system implemented (and I have one ... good thing, because it looks like connecting without one might be harder) ... and the payment-authentication part implemented ... but the amount that they are actually billing ... is still ZERO!

Sooo, the trip to Ottawa and back using Ivy fast-chargers cost me ... nothing. And it's customer-pay mileage ...

(Based on the time on the chargers, it probably would have been $50-ish at the normal rates. The Fiat 500 that I had before would have cost about $80 in fuel.)

So, get this.

Ivy is still working on upgrading their charging-network software. At the moment, it appears that they have the RFID-tag system implemented (and I have one ... good thing, because it looks like connecting without one might be harder) ... and the payment-authentication part implemented ... but the amount that they are actually billing ... is still ZERO!

Sooo, the trip to Ottawa and back using Ivy fast-chargers cost me ... nothing. And it's customer-pay mileage ...

(Based on the time on the chargers, it probably would have been $50-ish at the normal rates. The Fiat 500 that I had before would have cost about $80 in fuel.)

what kind of tag do you use? I stopped at one again thinking it was still free and it asked me for the tag so I went to the nearest supercharger.

Also, @mimico_polak @PrivatePilot yes, I am the other minority laughing at my monthly bills.

what kind of tag do you use? I stopped at one again thinking it was still free and it asked me for the tag so I went to the nearest supercharger.

Also, @mimico_polak @PrivatePilot yes, I am the other minority laughing at my monthly bills.
Same...only reason I'm not seriously considering a Bolt or other EV...is my current gas bill is maybe $50/month...if that.

So financially makes zero sense.

@Evoex whatcha buying? Something something AMG?!

Put the app on your phone and set up an account (needs a credit-card number)

At a certain point in this process, it asks if you would like an RFID card sent to you. (First one is free.) Do that.

The RFID card that they send you comes in two pieces, one that's the size of a credit card and another one that is meant to go on your keychain with your key fob.

This is way better than mucking about with smartphones and apps and QR codes.

The thing that is potentially sucky is if every other charging network does the same thing and they each have their own RFID tag. Should have made them interoperable across North America. But, that's beyond my pay grade. I'm just a dumb end user.

And now for more TESLA news....major recall because 'autopilot MAY cause crashes'...

the one upside to all this OTA updates and software based systems.
MAJOR RECALL, just means everyone stupid enough to be running full self driving BETA needs to jump to the latest update.

i still don't understand who would be dumb enough to pay over 10 grand for a feature still in beta that you have to jump through hoops to even use and still requires constant monitoring and input.

the one upside to all this OTA updates and software based systems.
MAJOR RECALL, just means everyone stupid enough to be running full self driving BETA needs to jump to the latest update.

i still don't understand who would be dumb enough to pay over 10 grand for a feature still in beta that you have to jump through hoops to even use and still requires constant monitoring and input.

All that aside, manufacturers shouldn't be allowed to call it "full self driving" (as if "full" even needed to be a qualifier) until they're willing to take responsibility for the vehicles' behaviour. As long as they're putting the liability on the drivers, they're admitting their system isn't foolproof, and therefor not really self driving. I'd have no issues if they called it "assisted driving".

That terminology is a Tesla thing. Other manufacturers are much more cautious with their wording and claims ... and their implementations.

On another note ... 6 months and 22,xxx km with the Bolt. DC fast-charging was used on a trip to Ottawa recently (950 km in one day including the jobsite visit), otherwise has not been needed.

Back
Top Bottom