Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 377 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

maybe not the best batteries but at least the best supply and efficiency. they seem to be able to produce almost as many cars as they want while other manufacturers are still way behind on supply.

Looking at reviewers highway efficiency testing, their models still offer the best real world range for the dollar. Especially after the recent price drop and others dropping heat pumps due to supply issues.

If anyone can do a truck EV at a reasonable price <80k, it would be Tesla at the moment. no one else has the scale or margins currently.
If only they didn't make it look as horrible as it does and ruin side access into the bed.
Theoretically Lightning can be had for 80K. I suspect you can't get one for that price though.

Elon's ego f'd up the cybertruck completely. There isn't a whole lot of the body that can be saved. By the time it complies with FMVSS, it will be an entirely different vehicle. Stupid body design will send cost to the moon. Tesla selling EV skateboards/drivetrains would take over the world. Ego driven vehicle development is painful to watch.

Theoretically Lightning can be had for 80K. I suspect you can't get one for that price though.

Elon's ego f'd up the cybertruck completely. There isn't a whole lot of the body that can be saved. By the time it complies with FMVSS, it will be an entirely different vehicle. Stupid body design will send cost to the moon. Tesla selling EV skateboards/drivetrains would take over the world. Ego driven vehicle development is painful to watch.
I think the Pro version was even cheaper. but keyword was theoretically, the upcoming GM SilveradoEV is similar priced too but I foresee the same shortage + huge markups happening.

80k is still a big jump from the original stated 39k-49k USD price promised (cybertruck)

I think the Pro version was even cheaper. but keyword was theoretically, the upcoming GM SilveradoEV is similar priced too but I foresee the same shortage + huge markups happening.

80k is still a big jump from the original stated 39k-49k USD price promised (cybertruck)
I place absolutely zero value in the promised price. There was a promised delivery date too. Anyone can make promises for vaporware. Hell, Tesla was one of the originators of theoretical low sticker price but the factory won't build a single low priced car until they have no buyers for the premium versions. IIRC, they never did build the base Model 3. People were on the waiting list for years and then it got cancelled.

I place absolutely zero value in the promised price. There was a promised delivery date too. Anyone can make promises for vaporware. Hell, Tesla was one of the originators of theoretical low sticker price but the factory won't build a single low priced car until they have no buyers for the premium versions. IIRC, they never did build the base Model 3. People were on the waiting list for years and then it got cancelled.
IIRC there was a rule that there had to be an available vehicle…1! In order to be able to advertise.

BMW 318, with zero options, manual transmission and in a horrid green colour…

But it was available in the Port of Halifax or Montreal if you really wanted it! Or you could have this optioned out 328 instead that’s here on our floor.

IIRC there was a rule that there had to be an available vehicle…1! In order to be able to advertise.

BMW 318, with zero options, manual transmission and in a horrid green colour…

But it was available in the Port of Halifax or Montreal if you really wanted it! Or you could have this optioned out 328 instead that’s here on our floor.
I think Tesla found a way around that. As you were technically on a waiting list and would be eligible to purchase after it was produced, that is less protected than a pure bait and switch where they say one is available for purchase.

My understanding is that the production cybertruck looks generally like the concept, but:
- the "exoskeleton" has morphed into a more normal unibody (although with large "gigacastings" forming part of the structure underneath)
- flat grossly-thick exterior panels formed on a press brake are gone, replaced with sheet metal of normal thickness produced in normal stamping tooling and with subtle curvature to mitigate NVH. (Flat panels vibrate, and transmit noise straight through, and "oil can" in the wind, etc.)
- stainless exterior skin remains - but it's sheet metal stampings of normal thickness, not grossly-thick panels formed on a press brake
- it now has normal bumpers at legally-required heights
- it now has exterior mirrors
- it has the worlds largest windscreen wiper ... and the shape of the body gives them nowhere to hide it, so it's completely exposed. (Yuck)
- exterior lighting now complies with FMVSS
- the windscreen is no longer flat ... (glass that is completely flat, isn't very strong ... same problem sheet metal has, except glass breaks instead of oil-canning)

... and none of this surprises me.

This makes me happy....

as the article correctly states, it was Tesla that caused this chain reaction.

this was predicted by the industry big wigs, the day tesla announced it.

just goes to show you they still have clout

ahhhh, i see GM has brought back a modern day Buick Regal GNX

I'd bet at least the steering wheel doesn't fall off 5 days after you buy it.

1675129383071.png

We can add this to the list of things that fly off or fall off Teslas. What are we at now....roof....bumpers, control arms. Now the steering wheel.

In unrelated news, I can't believe this thread is coming up on 6 years old and is still going lol.

Oh, and the roof, bumpers, suspension, and steering wheel has not fallen off any of our 3 Volts yet (or the Ioniq), for the record.

I'd bet at least the steering wheel doesn't fall off 5 days after you buy it.

View attachment 59332

We can add this to the list of things that fly off or fall off Teslas. What are we at now....roof....bumpers, control arms. Now the steering wheel.

Do you pay a premium to have a Yoke that falls off?

Cold-weather longish-trip report (St Thomas, 352 km round trip). GOM said 328 km this morning (-11 C). Stopped at Dorchester PetroCan as usual, I normally plug in to their free Level 2 while having a coffee to get a little range boost, but a Tesla was already there doing the same. They left before I did so I still plugged in for a little bit, shorter than normal. Arrived at destination with state-of-charge just below half. Stopped at Woodstock OnRoute Ivy fast-charger on the way back (state-of-charge 27% to begin) for a late lunch while the car charged. Left at 49% after 20-some-odd minutes, got home with around 20% left. Ivy fast-charging was still free. The charging rate settled down to around 39 kW with the temperature around -7 C. Cold definitely slows charging down.

When I got to the OnRoute, nobody else was at the charging stations. When I got back to the car to leave, a Tesla and an Ioniq5 were just plugging in.

Uh…..what the eff…not many times I’ve heard of a steering wheel falling off!!

It is a QC/QA problem and this should have been checked a few times on the line and of course the person installing the airbag etc. should have also noticed it, may require a recall to check batches if they cannot figure out why/how it was missed.... There have also been rare cases with other automakers of some disgruntled employee removing it after all the checks--so that is also possible.

They are lucky it was while reversing and not stepping on it. With the acceleration like these cars are capable of people will tend to pull on wheel to compensate, that would suck if they had their foot into it. BTW, saw this once where a buddy forgot to torque the nut on his drag car and it eventually worked off....

Back
Top Bottom