Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 375 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Cool, it'll be interesting to find out, maybe there's some kind of trick to getting tesla to give a fair offer.
There is not. I'm an idiot with a bad memory.

Process was:
- offer the Volt as trade but since the value was shockingly low ($1500 accident) he took it off the table
- offer the KIA CUV and he felt the offer was fair
- brought car in the day of the purchase in order to confirm kms and condition (few months after online purchase)
- took possession and dropped off the keys

Sorry I got the Volt and KIA confused about values etc. My mistake.

2 to 3k off retail is dreaming for a trade-in imo. They spend some time and money detailing it and making sure it can pass safety and then they need to front the money, inventory it and sell it. Maybe you can get that and good for you but I wouldn't expect that (especially from Tesla who pushes your car to a third party and isn't setup to sell it themselves).
I tried Clutch.ca and they offered me 34k. The problem is, if you trade it in the trade-in value is immediately applied to the price of the new car so you save a lot on tax. So if you sell it privately, you need to get at least 13% more just to break even.

I tried Clutch.ca and they offered me 34k. The problem is, if you trade it in the trade-in value is immediately applied to the price of the new car so you save a lot on tax. So if you sell it privately, you need to get at least 13% more just to break even.
That offer seems more like what I would expect for a competitive trade-in off. Something like 25-35% below retail. Two to three k below retail would be them either sitting on a waiting buyer or expecting the used market to keep climbing.

Tesla has the same issue Saturn had with no haggle pricing. Sure, there is no haggle on the new car but the trade-ins seem to be valued very low.

The 13% is one thing, but a private buyer may pay 20-30% more than the dealership is offering you...which is great...but you gotta deal with a lot of idiots to get that.

I've always tried to sell my car privately in b/w the trade in value, and the day of delivery.

9/10 the people responding want to pay less than the dealership is offering so it's never worked for me. But I've always had a 1-2 week window.

If Tesla offered me 20k today, I'd try to get 24k privately. If not...then not worth it, especially considering the hassle.

Whatcha selling?

The 13% is one thing, but a private buyer may pay 20-30% more than the dealership is offering you...which is great...but you gotta deal with a lot of idiots to get that.

I've always tried to sell my car privately in b/w the trade in value, and the day of delivery.

9/10 the people responding want to pay less than the dealership is offering so it's never worked for me. But I've always had a 1-2 week window.

If Tesla offered me 20k today, I'd try to get 24k privately. If not...then not worth it, especially considering the hassle.

Whatcha selling?
I bought a new '22 wrx only a few months ago. Then the thought popped into my head that I wanted an EV. Now I can't stop thinking about it. On the other hand I can't stomach the idea of losing thousands on my wrx after only a few months. Might hold off for a while... Maybe I could get a used one on the cheap. I'm seeing 2019's with low mileage for 43k, and 2021's for 47. There's a video by doug demuro discussing why tesla prices are dropping and there's a good chance used teslas will continue to drop. I think a lot of it has to do with interest rates rising and people who overleveraged themselves are finding they can no longer afford their car payments so they have to sell them, and there are fewer buyers because most people finance and they're less likely to do that when rates are high.

I bought a new '22 wrx only a few months ago. Then the thought popped into my head that I wanted an EV. Now I can't stop thinking about it. On the other hand I can't stomach the idea of losing thousands on my wrx after only a few months. Might hold off for a while... Maybe I could get a used one on the cheap. I'm seeing 2019's with low mileage for 43k, and 2021's for 47. There's a video by doug demuro discussing why tesla prices are dropping and there's a good chance used teslas will continue to drop. I think a lot of it has to do with interest rates rising and people who overleveraged themselves are finding they can no longer afford their car payments so they have to sell them, and there are fewer buyers because most people finance and they're less likely to do that when rates are high.

I miss my WRX very much. Highly recommend you keep it.

Outside of the instant torque on the Tesla…there’s zero ‘soul’ to that car.

It’s an appliance. A beautiful and expensive appliance… but still an appliance.

Yeah you're not wrong. The WRX is probably more fun to drive. But there's something to be said about never having to get gas. Just charge overnight and never worry, it's like having your own private gas station in your house. Also never have to sit in a cold car again.

I also called Kia to ask how long the waitlist on the EV6 was, I think it's a great looking car and it's cheaper than the Tesla 3 and the reviews on it are mostly positive. The salesman said that they're not even letting new people get on the waitlist, it's that long. LOL

First DC fast-charge today, after 16,6xx km.

Had to do a St Thomas run (352 km both ways). The GOM this morning said 364 km but that doesn't account for the higher-consumption driving on motorways ... In summer (and on the standard low-rolling-resistance tires) it will do this without needing any extra charging. Lately I've been giving it a splash of L2 charging both directions at the PetroCanada at Dorchester, and that has been enough of a top-up to do it but I was late getting going this morning and didn't have time.

Got to the Cambridge OnRoute on the way back with 21% SOC. It turns out that IvyCharging is in the midst of upgrading their software, so charging is free right now! Plugged in ... went inside, had a coffee ... 49% SOC after whatever time it took to go to Timmies ... more than enough to get home.

The whole trip used 60.0 kWh, so theoretically I could have made it without the charging stop, but it would have been in the red with the "Charge vehicle soon" warning on.

So, hot tip for EV drivers with CCS and Chademo (and probably Tesla with an adapter). Free DC fast-charging at OnRoute motorway service centers for now until their software upgrade is done!

Yeah you're not wrong. The WRX is probably more fun to drive. But there's something to be said about never having to get gas. Just charge overnight and never worry, it's like having your own private gas station in your house. Also never have to sit in a cold car again.

I also called Kia to ask how long the waitlist on the EV6 was, I think it's a great looking car and it's cheaper than the Tesla 3 and the reviews on it are mostly positive. The salesman said that they're not even letting new people get on the waitlist, it's that long. LOL
That I agree with. I find it a ‘game’ to see how far I can get without filling up the tank.

Record is 3500km when my wife took the car for a short trip and ‘filled it up for you as it was showing low’!!

Haven’t gotten more than 2100km since then.

That I agree with. I find it a ‘game’ to see how far I can get without filling up the tank.

Record is 3500km when my wife took the car for a short trip and ‘filled it up for you as it was showing low’!!

Haven’t gotten more than 2100km since then.
im gonna buy a nice gas hog just to thumb my nose at your sir. 😁

im gonna buy a nice gas hog just to thumb my nose at your sir. 😁
Don’t you have an X5? That can’t be cheap on gas! You can thumb your BMW nose all you want bud!

As for EVs out of China….400km range for 15k USD.

Maybe 400km in city only? That seems rather optimistic.

First DC fast-charge today, after 16,6xx km.

Had to do a St Thomas run (352 km both ways). The GOM this morning said 364 km but that doesn't account for the higher-consumption driving on motorways ... In summer (and on the standard low-rolling-resistance tires) it will do this without needing any extra charging. Lately I've been giving it a splash of L2 charging both directions at the PetroCanada at Dorchester, and that has been enough of a top-up to do it but I was late getting going this morning and didn't have time.

Got to the Cambridge OnRoute on the way back with 21% SOC. It turns out that IvyCharging is in the midst of upgrading their software, so charging is free right now! Plugged in ... went inside, had a coffee ... 49% SOC after whatever time it took to go to Timmies ... more than enough to get home.

The whole trip used 60.0 kWh, so theoretically I could have made it without the charging stop, but it would have been in the red with the "Charge vehicle soon" warning on.

So, hot tip for EV drivers with CCS and Chademo (and probably Tesla with an adapter). Free DC fast-charging at OnRoute motorway service centers for now until their software upgrade is done!
did you catch your charging rate? I just tried the same Ivy station on the way back from London on Thursday but dummy me forgot to condition the battery. Max charge while I was grabbing some takeout was only 40kw. Big difference from my usual 100-150 but thats with battery conditioning.

did you catch your charging rate? I just tried the same Ivy station on the way back from London on Thursday but dummy me forgot to condition the battery. Max charge while I was grabbing some takeout was only 40kw. Big difference from my usual 100-150 but thats with battery conditioning.

I stopped there after something over an hour of driving, and IIRC the ambient temp was around 2 C. I glanced at it before going inside to make sure charging was started, and it had ramped up to 47 kW, which for a Bolt, is not bad. I forgot to look at it when I got back to the car.

The Bolt doesn't have the fancy battery pre-conditioning stuff that a lot of newer and fancier designs have (where if you set a DCFC as your destination on the navigation, it organises the battery to be at the optimum temperature when you get there). From what I can tell, it just lets the battery temperature float at whatever it wants to be, and only takes action if it goes out of bounds (which are rather wide). It's rare that my battery-conditioning energy-usage says anything other than zero. "Battery conditioning" is on you ... by driving the car for an hour before you get to the DCFC to warm it up a little, and then plugging it in straight away.

China is moving forward so fast on EV

and this is indicative of things to come from the majors

Is the new gen Leaf that bad? I've seen a few on the road and they're fairly sharp looking cars.

I know gen 1 had all sorts of issues with bad batteries. Those resolved for the second gen?

My buddy with the Mini boo-hoos anything that's not a Mini now...I think he's biased. And I'll agree the Mini is one of the better looking EVs. But that range...

Is the new gen Leaf that bad? I've seen a few on the road and they're fairly sharp looking cars.

I know gen 1 had all sorts of issues with bad batteries. Those resolved for the second gen?

My buddy with the Mini boo-hoos anything that's not a Mini now...I think he's biased. And I'll agree the Mini is one of the better looking EVs. But that range...
Afaik, leaf gen 2 still had air cooled battery. Personally, I use that as the line for something I would consider owning. Liquid cooled or no battery for me. Air cooled seems to die far too often with the associated crazy bill.

Back
Top Bottom