Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 376 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Our Ioniq was air cooled. I was aware of it going in. Providing you ensure the air vents are kept clear (it was in a big of a stupid place on the Ioniq and was easily blocked by a jacket or something tossed in the back seat) reports were they were fine in the northern climates so long as you weren't fast charging 2 or 3 times a day or anything. When I first bought it I actually hooked up my tablet and my OBD scantool and watched battery temperature as well as the speed the cooling fan was being commanded to run at and it rarely got to anywhere even remotely concerning temperatures.
It was in the southern climates, especially on vehicles that were left in the sun routinely in desert areas etc where air cooled was a bigger issue, or on vehicles that were fast charged regularly, or repeatedly on long road trips without any cooldown time.

Our Ioniq was air cooled. I was aware of it going in. Providing you ensure the air vents are kept clear (it was in a big of a stupid place on the Ioniq and was easily blocked by a jacket or something tossed in the back seat) reports were they were fine in the northern climates so long as you weren't fast charging 2 or 3 times a day or anything. When I first bought it I actually hooked up my tablet and my OBD scantool and watched battery temperature as well as the speed the cooling fan was being commanded to run at and it rarely got to anywhere even remotely concerning temperatures.
It was in the southern climates, especially on vehicles that were left in the sun routinely in desert areas etc where air cooled was a bigger issue, or on vehicles that were fast charged regularly, or repeatedly on long road trips without any cooldown time.
Wait...so the air cooling took air from within the cabin!? I figured the air would be channeled from the exterior as you drive just duct it to the battery to keep it cooled...not interior air.

Wait...so the air cooling took air from within the cabin!? I figured the air would be channeled from the exterior as you drive just duct it to the battery to keep it cooled...not interior air.
Interior is theoretically mostly filtered/clean and if you are running A/C will be cooler than outdoor air. If you are running heating, you have less need for cooling but sure as hell don't want to suck a bunch of snow into the battery so interior air is good choice again. The thing that kills toyotas with that system is pets in the car. They put the bare minimum filter on battery intake and pet hair blocks air flow and that kills battery.

Interior is theoretically mostly filtered/clean and if you are running A/C will be cooler than outdoor air. If you are running heating, you have less need for cooling but sure as hell don't want to suck a bunch of snow into the battery so interior air is good choice again. The thing that kills toyotas with that system is pets in the car. They put the bare minimum filter on battery intake and pet hair blocks air flow and that kills battery.
Wow....alright, learn something new this week. Didn't consider that aspect. Thanks!

Cold battery in the winter got heated cabin air.

Hot battery in the summer got air-conditioned cabin air.

Rudimentary thermal management when you think about it that way.

I've actually started thinking about this recently...my Volt's battery is good until Oct 2024 as I won't run up 60k additionally within the timeframe, so I'm going to start looking at replacement.

While I'm sure that the battery is most likely good for a much longer time, I'm not willing to take that risk and want to sell it while it's still worth a good chunk of change.

Thought process is either full EV...or one last ICE car before a full EV transition. Will have to start digging into it more serious in the next few months.

Have heard good things about that one. Congrats!

Looking forward to reviews.

So not much data as it is still so fresh to us

5 days in with 1 day trip and 4 days around town

500 kms just rolled by
2.2 litres per 100 km total average

When it is EV mode and I push the accelerator just a little more than the electric can handle the ICE starts up and provides the punch needed. Not quite what I would consider seamless but hardly noticeable on the transition.

Run all day with late day kick over to ICE and a recharge at night.

Havent figured out the KIA APP 100% yet but I am old and slow.

Never had a heated steering wheel before.

So not much data as it is still so fresh to us

5 days in with 1 day trip and 4 days around town

500 kms just rolled by
2.2 litres per 100 km total average

When it is EV mode and I push the accelerator just a little more than the electric can handle the ICE starts up and provides the punch needed. Not quite what I would consider seamless but hardly noticeable on the transition.

Run all day with late day kick over to ICE and a recharge at night.

Havent figured out the KIA APP 100% yet but I am old and slow.

What's your range on full EV before the motor kicks in? Or does it more like the Prius where they both run all the time?

Good read on faster home charging option..

Let's face it, as ev adoption swells, everybody will want faster charges...

moot point IMO, unless you are the extremely rare person that drives a Rivian, lightning or Hummer EV daily close to the max and need it to charge overnight, current home charge rate is enough. hell as others have pointed out here, even the trickle on 120v is enough for most daily use.

It's one of those things that you pooh-pooh as "unnecessary and silly"....until you've had a car with it on a -20 degree morning.

Now I'm horribly jealous that my wife's Volt has it and my Volt doesn't lol.

It's one of those things that you pooh-pooh as "unnecessary and silly"....until you've had a car with it on a -20 degree morning.

Now I'm horribly jealous that my wife's Volt has it and my Volt doesn't lol.
Try parking in the garage (I know, a difficult task for most and the spyder has made it worse). Climbing into a car (and dealing with car seats) above freezing with no wind is much more civilized. Wifes car has heated steering wheel, mine doesn't. I don't really like it. If her car has been outside for a long time, I'll use it for a few minutes to take the chill off and then turn it off.

In my old diesel car, I would wear a heated jacket as I had no cabin heat for more than 10 minutes and would often arrive at work 45 minutes away with engine nowhere close to operating temp. After that experience for years, gas engines and heated seats are miles ahead.

Latest Cybertruck news: Did we say 2023? Yeah, uh, we meant 2024.

Meanwhile, pre-production for BT1XX (in the form of the Chevrolet Silverado EV) is starting up over the next few weeks, and mass-production ramp-up is May 2023.

I do my sign-off of the weld line for a chassis component for those, at one of their suppliers, this week. We're just about done our part of it. If GM has any delays, it won't be because of us.

Meanwhile, pre-production for BT1XX (in the form of the Chevrolet Silverado EV) is starting up over the next few weeks, and mass-production ramp-up is May 2023.

I do my sign-off of the weld line for a chassis component for those, at one of their suppliers, this week. We're just about done our part of it. If GM has any delays, it won't be because of us.

Yep, competition is going to smack Tesla hard in the next year or two, especially if Tesla keeps making vaporware vehicles and refuses to update their current ones that actually exist - gotta admit that the styles are getting old and stale.

They're already getting destroyed in market share in europe and china. And Musk isn't doing himself any favours with his north american market share situation either.

Interesting reading: How Tesla’s Outrageous Valuation Could Destroy All Zombie Stocks

Yep, competition is going to smack Tesla hard in the next year or two, especially if Tesla keeps making vaporware vehicles and refuses to update their current ones that actually exist - gotta admit that the styles are getting old and stale.

They're already getting destroyed in market share in europe and china. And Musk isn't doing himself any favours with his north american market share situation either.

Interesting reading: How Tesla’s Outrageous Valuation Could Destroy All Zombie Stocks
While I agree that other manufacturers are catching up very quickly. Tesla still has the best batteries and charge network IMO.

Maybe they put out some refreshed models, or maybe that truck finally gets built. Maybe Musk will be kicked out due to his antics and replaced with someone that’s fully invested into Tesla…

Maybe maybe maybe…

Tesla still has the best batteries and charge network IMO

Best batteries, not anymore IMHO...the competition has pretty much matched that. Other manufacturers could have been matching them for a decade now if they'd decided to - GM could easily have put 50-70kw in the Volt (with some design changes, clearly) if they'd wanted to 10 years ago, but it would have drastically changed the price from what was intended to be remotely-affordable at the time to Tesla Roadster territory, at the time.

Best charger network? Absolutely, no debate there. The fact that they're opening it up to CCS vehicles is actually a huge deal. But it will also make people look harder at their own competition in many cases as the age-old argument about weak charging infrastructure is negated.

While I agree that other manufacturers are catching up very quickly. Tesla still has the best batteries and charge network IMO.

Maybe they put out some refreshed models, or maybe that truck finally gets built. Maybe Musk will be kicked out due to his antics and replaced with someone that’s fully invested into Tesla…

Maybe maybe maybe…

maybe not the best batteries but at least the best supply and efficiency. they seem to be able to produce almost as many cars as they want while other manufacturers are still way behind on supply.

Looking at reviewers highway efficiency testing, their models still offer the best real world range for the dollar. Especially after the recent price drop and others dropping heat pumps due to supply issues.

If anyone can do a truck EV at a reasonable price <80k, it would be Tesla at the moment. no one else has the scale or margins currently.
If only they didn't make it look as horrible as it does and ruin side access into the bed.

Back
Top Bottom