Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 378 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

So true. And is so sad that tesla was the only brand recommended back then and still today.

Sure the others are "catching up" but still so few outstanding compelling choices.

Maybe in another 6 years....

Maybe another 12?

"Ford showed this week that it’s not going to be as easy for traditional automakers to catch Tesla in the race to build the better electric vehicle, despite what Tesla’s doubters think."

Tesla still does it best...

the missteps from the established automakers, and the lead that Tesla has in the field, will give it a chance to grow to as many as 20 million vehicles a year in the future, far more than the total number of vehicles, gas or electric, that any automaker has ever sold.
:eek: wow ( from the CNN article )

Got the purchase order for a job in Ottawa ... that's going to be the first long trip reliant upon fast-charging (I'm surprised it took this long for that to happen). It's 495 km via 401-416 which has plenty of fast-charging stations along the way. The Highway 7 route is shorter but slower and fast-charging is not there yet.

Got the purchase order for a job in Ottawa ... that's going to be the first long trip reliant upon fast-charging (I'm surprised it took this long for that to happen). It's 495 km via 401-416 which has plenty of fast-charging stations along the way. The Highway 7 route is shorter but slower and fast-charging is not there yet.

Theres a CCS Flo charger in Norwood at the grocery store.

It's frequently in use however as there's only one CCS and one L2.

There's a few in Peterborough as well though. Depending on where you're coming from that should be enough to push you through to Ottawa though.

If gas prices go the way I suspect they're going to go again this summer (Russia just announced they're playing games with supply again, so you know how that instantly spikes pump prices, and they'll probably continue as an "F you" at the west) the savings on a commute like this will be significant.

At Odessa (Kingston) OnRoute having breakfast while the car is plugged in. So far, 276 km, got here with 18% state of charge.

In Kemptville, at Timmies, plugged in, charging. At this point I want just enough charge to get to my destination and back here (about 100 km).

Job went quicker than expected. Back to Kemptville for late lunch while the car charges. Next stop Kingston. Undecided whether to overnight there or motor on.

Job went quicker than expected. Back to Kemptville for late lunch while the car charges. Next stop Kingston. Undecided whether to overnight there or motor on.
If I thought I was safe to drive, I would keep going. Kingston is too close to home for me to think about a hotel normally. Also, that cleans up the EV screwed you comments. Winds are brutal and will definitely affect range today.

Maybe another 12?

"Ford showed this week that it’s not going to be as easy for traditional automakers to catch Tesla in the race to build the better electric vehicle, despite what Tesla’s doubters think."

Tesla still does it best...
That might have been Ford easing into it's 'stop sell' and 'Stop Build" order on Lightnings.

Looks like they may have rushed things a little, they are dead stopping the Lightning until they can resolve some undisclosed issues.

That might have been Ford easing into it's 'stop sell' and 'Stop Build" order on Lightnings.

Looks like they may have rushed things a little, they are dead stopping the Lightning until they can resolve some undisclosed issues.

Yeah, saw that. I could totally see Ford rushing this.

I like that GM is taking their time and seem to be taking calculated steps.

Time and the market will tell if they get it right

How much time do you estimate that stopping to charge added to the trip?

Bear in mind:
- This was a business trip.
- Which means, I am on the clock, and I take my breaks.
- I am also not about to get a speeding ticket while working.
- And it is like that when driving this vehicle, and has been like that with any previous vehicle.

So ... In every case, the charging stops coincided with breakfast, morning coffee break, lunch, afternoon coffee break, and dinner. That's called "planning". It means the car was charging while I was doing something else that I was going to be doing anyhow.

The only stop in which I hung around for appreciably longer than what it normally would have been (in the interest of getting home without stopping again), was the last one, and that was probably by about 10 minutes. I took state-of-charge up to about 75%. In the others it was usually 60 - 65%. (Beyond that is where the charging rate starts ramping down ... all EVs are more-or-less like this, it is something you just have to work with)

I just checked the emailed receipts from Ivycharge, and there were two charging sessions of about 40 minutes (the first, and the last), and the others were about 30 minutes.

The Bolt is not the best road-trip car, due to GM playing it safe with the fast-charging rates ... but considering that this happened once after 20,000 km, it'll do. (This was the first time doing a trip that exceeded the car's range by any appreciable margin, and it so happened to be by a lot)

Youre an extreme user for the Bolt @Brian P and it appears that car suits you fine. Majority would not be putting those types of miles on an EV.

My needs are very simple…300km with no need to recharge in the cold and I’m sold.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom