Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 381 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Tell that to Henry Ford who was equally controversial in the day.
Most movers and shakers are borderline mental....its a long list.

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that almost 100% of people that bought Fords back then had no idea he might have been a loon.

Compare that to today’s realities where people go full potato on social media, (particularly social media they own where they can artificially inflate their own presence, worse yet) and can easily confirm any doubts or suspicions about one’s political leanings, mental stability, etc. etc.

Another confirmed Tesla driving itself and aiming for a firetruck. Driver deceased. Passenger and fire fighters hurt. Not sure why they have such trouble avoiding firetrucks (maybe the flashing lights?). When will governments move this beta back to controlled conditions where it currently belongs?

And you might not even be able to take the wheel if FSD does decide to divebomb something:

Google's "People also ask" suggestions when you search for "NHTSA tesla steering wheel" are unintentionally hilarious:
tesla_steering_wheel.png

Haha @Ash beat me to it…

Because it fits their arguments.

Same. Although I don't think it's shocking. Musk is really stepping on his own dick - one of his biggest markets is the liberal left, and he's leaning towards full MAGA in how he's behaved in the last 6-12 months - the two don't mix. And the "full MAGA" segment of the market is also the same portion of the market for whom giant bro dozer pickup trucks are the norm and EV's are "stupid liberal cars". They're also historically and clearly statistically a poorer demographic who can't afford things like EV's to begin with.

Tesla has boosted sale numbers by cutting prices, but that's not sustainable in the long term.
FWIW, Starlink seems to follow his pattern very well. Something hugely cool and useful with giant holes in design and rollout before a competent product is ready. Gen 2 square dishes can't be left to auto-melt snow or it burns out the cable. Gen 1 round dishes also burn out cables and they are now telling people that cables are no longer available, they have to buy a gen 2 dish for $759 if they want internet.

giant holes in design and rollout before a competent product is ready.

I get it that they're still building out the network, but reading enough online regarding Starlink it becomes clear it's drastically oversold and underperforming.

When the service levels were renamed to "better than nothing beta", that spoke volumes.

I hate that one day, if we do indeed retire to a nomadic life like I hope we can do (at least part of the year), we may end up a Starlink customer out of a basic unavailability of viable alternatives (unless cellular becomes drastically cheaper and more widespread), but one can only hope that eventually everyone will realize that despite the companies being good in many regards, they will need an adult at the steering wheels if they're going to continue moving forward. And that change will happen, whether he likes it, or not.

I've spoken to a few friends recently and shockingly they're moving away from wanting the Tesla...and not because of the cars, but simply because of the fact that Musk is who / what he is.

You need to find new friends for such a hollow and shallow argument

This is akin to not liking an awesome bands music because of the distaste of a band member

Who cares? Keep making great music!

Do you ditch your friends that have different political views as yours (perhaps due to a different set of morals by which they live their lives) because you consider their arguments for such "shallow"?

This is kind of the same thing. If a consumer has a particular set of morals they're a lot less likely to do business with a company for whom it's abundantly obvious has a vastly different moral compass. Especially when there's lots of other options in the market now.

Lets look at Mike Lindell, the crazy My Pillow guy. I wouldn't buy one of those guys pillows if my life depended on it as he's a sleazeball for whom I don't have any interest in rewarding with a dime of my money. There's lots of other options I can do business with instead. Does that make me "shallow"?

Anyhow, like it or lump it, the effect is increasing, well known, and measurable. It's reality even if you want to believe it's not.

This is akin to not liking an awesome bands music because of the distaste of a band member

Who cares? Keep making great music!
I don’t drop friends and family for differences of opinion.

I’ve seen families torn apart over whether COVID is real or fake news.

Whether the vaccines are safe or cause heart attacks and strokes.

Differences of opinion are fine for me.

From the comments ... "Toyota built something they hate, and it shows."

Why restrict fast-charging speed after a couple of charging sessions? Why take HVAC load out of charging current when the charging station is capable of delivering it?

And wow, is that thing ever thirsty. My Bolt does not fast-charge very fast (but faster than this does after a couple of charging sessions!) but it uses less. Winter consumption has been 18 - 20 kWh / 100 km.

Official time 14 h 25 min for 1000 km in the bz4x. For a point of comparison, my 950 km trip in the Bolt a couple weeks ago (which I finished with about 70 km on the GOM, so I could have gotten to 1000 km in another half hour) was about 15 hours total away from home but that included spending two or three hours at a customer's site (car sitting in the parking lot not charging), and I never even came close to white-knuckle range remaining on the GOM, and I sure didn't stop as many times nor for as long.

edit: And the Bolt displays the GOM (estimated range) in addition to state-of-charge when it's plugged in and charging, if you open a door - no need to turn it on. And the GOM is pretty accurate.

From the comments ... "Toyota built something they hate, and it shows."

Why restrict fast-charging speed after a couple of charging sessions? Why take HVAC load out of charging current when the charging station is capable of delivering it?

And wow, is that thing ever thirsty. My Bolt does not fast-charge very fast (but faster than this does after a couple of charging sessions!) but it uses less. Winter consumption has been 18 - 20 kWh / 100 km.

Official time 14 h 25 min for 1000 km in the bz4x. For a point of comparison, my 950 km trip in the Bolt a couple weeks ago (which I finished with about 70 km on the GOM, so I could have gotten to 1000 km in another half hour) was about 15 hours total away from home but that included spending two or three hours at a customer's site (car sitting in the parking lot not charging), and I never even came close to white-knuckle range remaining on the GOM, and I sure didn't stop as many times nor for as long.

edit: And the Bolt displays the GOM (estimated range) in addition to state-of-charge when it's plugged in and charging, if you open a door - no need to turn it on. And the GOM is pretty accurate.

I'm surprised your Bolt is that thirsty, I'm guessing that was mostly highways. My 3 LR is at 20 for winter and I have a heavy foot with 80% highways at ~130kph. It must be the aerodynamics in the city, the Bolt would be miles better.

this is the sad thing with EVs, a majority of the new/upcoming EVs still haven't improved on range/efficiency.

this is the sad thing with EVs, a majority of the new/upcoming EVs still haven't improved on range/efficiency.

The north american consumer still wants giant oversized brick shaped vehicles that do and carry more than they'll ever need. So efficiency in the EV segment is starting to go away simply to offer what consumers want in the end, and manufacturers can sell.

500 mile range.

Random guy on the internet: "I won't buy an EV until it can go 2500km without needing to be charged, I drive might drive nonstop to Florida some day and that whole charging thing sounds like a pain in the ass!".

It'll never end. Same people who in reality never go more than 200km from home.

500 mile range.

Random guy on the internet: "I won't buy an EV until it can go 2500km without needing to be charged, I drive might drive nonstop to Florida some day and that whole charging thing sounds like a pain in the ass!".

It'll never end. Same people who in reality never go more than 200km from home.
This is what my buddy with the Mini EV keeps telling me when I say that his car doesn’t have sufficient range for my needs. (160km in the warm, and down to 90km in the cold).

‘You never need 300km range’

Yes I don’t need it…I want it for when I need to get to the cottage and back in short order.

From the article...

"The Giulia EV’s underpinnings will offer a minimum of 800km (497 miles) of range, with battery sizes ranging from 101kWh to 118kWh, according to Stellantis investor information. This would give the electric Guilia the longest range of any EV in the UK, beating the 485-mile Mercedes EQS into second place. It will also have class-leading rapid-charge capability, with up to 20 miles of range added per minute."

Mercedes claims the EQS has a range of 446kms on the Canadiana sites... and 350miles on the US site..
Why the differences?

From the article...

"The Giulia EV’s underpinnings will offer a minimum of 800km (497 miles) of range, with battery sizes ranging from 101kWh to 118kWh, according to Stellantis investor information. This would give the electric Guilia the longest range of any EV in the UK, beating the 485-mile Mercedes EQS into second place. It will also have class-leading rapid-charge capability, with up to 20 miles of range added per minute."

Mercedes claims the EQS has a range of 446kms on the Canadiana sites... and 350miles on the US site..
Why the differences?
Iirc, EU vs us have different distance ratings as their testing standards are different. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if only one variant of eqs had 485 mile range and that variant isnt the base model.

Back
Top Bottom