Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 382 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Pushing the envelope ...and no rare earths..

of course there is always the dark horse
Highly doubt we will see a sun 20k long range EV.

What’s the incentive? People are willing to pay >60k for an EV so I don’t see any manufacturer willingly dropping their price point so low.

Well this looks like a big win for the St. Thomas and local communities...

Well this looks like a big win for the St. Thomas and local communities...

Douggie pushed through a rezoning of 1500 acres out there to accommodate this (and presumably other industries). I'm slightly surprised they chose canada. We will see when the dust settles how much taxpayer money was dumped into this. Mcguinty and wynnebag paid a fortune for domestic content for wind turbines and as soon as the govt tap shut off the plants were shuttered. Doubt we ever broke even but damn did the government ever love the greenwashing.

I'm seriously thinking that I'll be leasing my next pure EV (which I've never done before) as battery tech is just starting to progress where better options are a few years away. We hope.

I'm seriously thinking that I'll be leasing my next pure EV (which I've never done before) as battery tech is just starting to progress where better options are a few years away. We hope.
I don't expect any miraculous improvement in batteries in production vehicles over the next decade. Sure, incremental improvements will happen but I would buy a current EV. I have no fear of the battery taking a dump (as long as I buy one well-designed and with decent range when new). I normally keep vehicles for about a decade. With EV's that cycle may slow down even more. Normally I sell just before the third timing belt as it's not worth putting that much into the vehicle and I need reliability so I don't want to drive a time-bomb. EV's don't have a similar big maintenance item (other than Tesla MMC but I would avoid owning a tesla long term for that and many other reasons).

I don't expect any miraculous improvement in batteries in production vehicles over the next decade. Sure, incremental improvements will happen but I would buy a current EV. I have no fear of the battery taking a dump (as long as I buy one well-designed and with decent range when new). I normally keep vehicles for about a decade. With EV's that cycle may slow down even more. Normally I sell just before the third timing belt as it's not worth putting that much into the vehicle and I need reliability so I don't want to drive a time-bomb. EV's don't have a similar big maintenance item (other than Tesla MMC but I would avoid owning a tesla long term for that and many other reasons).
So how long should I keep my Volt? @PrivatePilot may have good insight here.

Driving a 2018 with a warranty that started in late 2017. Currently at 110km.

pp may have better insight into price trends but I would be in no rush to get rid of it. Since you seem to be lusting after a model 3 or estang, I would keep the volt until finances supported the car you want. Now, i have no idea about major volt maintenance items like timing belts. Obviously your engine wont have that many revolutions on it but is there a recommended replacement based on age? I normally don't consider changing vehicles until many more km's than you have. For my wifes korean vehicles, somewhere north of 200 or 250km. For mine, normally north of 300k. I hate shopping for vehicles. It's a miserable experience and so many are so disappointing. I don't want to pay tens of thousands for something that drives worse than what I have.

My 2011 is still going strong at almost 200,000km. My sons 2012 has some quirks now but it's nearing 300,000km and although it decides it wants to run on gas more often now in the cold weather (battery aging presumably) it's still a great car.
And in the grand scheme of things, both of these cars are at or nearing "end of life" for a vehicle by most standards where they've depreciated greatly - if they both make 14-15 years of age I'm happy - my 2011 has paid for itself in gas savings alone and continues to save me money daily.
I've had people say "13 years isn't old or end of life!" for a car, but when you think about it, anyone who is still driving a 2008-2010 car...well, it's probably approaching beater territory. Use the Chevy Impala's that were made at GM Oshawa as an example that many people would remember from that era, but reality is you don't see them much anymore as they reached end of life and are gone now.
The problem with EV's is that everyone wants to hold them to different standards and although they totally understand that their 12-15 year old car is worn out and such, they expect an EV to last for 20 years or something.

My wife's 2017 (warranty started in early 2017) still has a battery warranty for another 40,000km or 3 years - we'll almost certainly mile it out before we age it out, but in the grand scheme of things I have zero worries honestly - failures of Gen2 batteries are almost unheard of, and the few that have failed have done so well within the warranty period. We will drive this car into the ground. When my 2011 finally suffers some major failure I may either swap whatever fails (the batteries can be had now from wrecked Volts for a few thousand dollars) and keep on driving it, or maybe eventually go back to one full EV and buy a Bolt when the price on the 2016-2018's come down more.

The reason we got our 2017 for such a good price was because the guy who owned it was in full panic mode when the bumper to bumper warranty was expiring, either not understanding that the battery and drivetrain warranty extended for many years longer, or just not wanting to own a vehicle without a B2B warranty. Me on the other hand couldn't care less. It's been an awesome car and will be for many years to come.

Douggie pushed through a rezoning of 1500 acres out there to accommodate this (and presumably other industries).

I know exactly where it is. It's butted up against or part of the Oneida reservation (Muncie).

Basic battery tech will likely not make a huge jump in a classic sense (huge range jump for example) but...

Sodium-ion is coming down the pipe. Manufactures are either changing to, expanding use of or considering lithium-iron more and more, which is a weight/density downgrade but an ethical and safety upgrade. Standardization in charging, including faster and higher voltage (800V...maybe more) L3. Better cooling tech for faster charging, etc.

None of that is a range game changer, the charging will not impact the home charging short trips crowd but will for long trips. BUT, all are potential compelling reasons to not fully lock yourself in today looking out 10 years of ownership (if that is your style). While I do not like leasing I see the logic here, or buying but selling out in shorter cycles as new stuff comes up.

Basic battery tech will likely not make a huge jump in a classic sense (huge range jump for example) but...

Sodium-ion is coming down the pipe. Manufactures are either changing to, expanding use of or considering lithium-iron more and more, which is a weight/density downgrade but an ethical and safety upgrade. Standardization in charging, including faster and higher voltage (800V...maybe more) L3. Better cooling tech for faster charging, etc.

None of that is a range game changer, the charging will not impact the home charging short trips crowd but will for long trips. BUT, all are potential compelling reasons to not fully lock yourself in today looking out 10 years of ownership (if that is your style). While I do not like leasing I see the logic here, or buying but selling out in shorter cycles as new stuff comes up.
If tesla is your desired poison, I could see them going lease only at some point. It will be interesting to see what happens to value of existing owned fleet if that happens.

I know nothing major like solid state appears to be on the horizon but how is Stellantis getting 800km out of a Guilia (which is an avg sized car)?

That's a good sized incremental jump from what, 450-500 avg nowadays?

The Volt is still doing great but I'm just waiting and hoping the infamous BECM (Battery Energy Control Module) doesn't rear its ugly head ... although it appears GM is getting parts in stock now.

I know nothing major like solid state appears to be on the horizon but how is Stellantis getting 800km out of a Guilia (which is an avg sized car)?

The Volt is still doing great but I'm just waiting and hoping the infamous BECM (Battery Energy Control Module) doesn't rear its ugly head ... although it appears GM is getting parts in stock now.
1678814279603.png

Reactions: LBV

Bigger battery is a lot of it. Model 3 LR is 75 kwh, giulia is supposedly up to 118 kwh. 57% bump in battery capacity closely correlates to ~60% bump in range. Now, not sure how weight or energy density is different between the two packs.

Reactions: LBV
Somewhat related note ...

I'm in Mexico at the moment, involved in a project to build Ford CX727 Bodyside Inner.

Ford CX727 is code for mach e. That car is already in production ... this weld line is because Ford wants to build more, and the existing line (right next to this in the plant) is not capable of building the number that Ford wants to build.

Re that Stellantis sheet; those look like some sort of target numbers and I wouldn't put much faith in a "Giulia having an 800 km range" until they have an actual vehicle that's actually doing that. (and those are probably European WLTP estimates, which have little basis in reality)

"STLA Frame" = full sized pickup trucks and SUVs. You ain't gonna see an overweight square box do that kind of range real world.

As an EV owner, I still say, 400 km real world range give or take is the sweet spot. "Good enough for most people." - and you'll never please many of the rest no matter what you try within reason. Nothing wrong with making a super aerodynamic variant of these for the highway warriors, but achieved via aero, not excessively huge and overweight batteries. (Hyundai Ioniq 6 is already out, M-B has a couple, VW has something coming soon)

Speaking of Alfa. They made one just for gtam. A nice gas burning sport sedan but alfa hasn't made a motorcycle before so they needed to start somewhere. I assume Bottas isn't a member and just got one through his work so who here bought the other 499?

Alfa Romeo GTAm

As you probably already know, the Giulia GTAm is based on the already-impressive Giulia Quadrifoglio but thanks to the comprehensive use of carbon fiber, is now 100 kg (220 lbs) lighter. Alfa Romeo’s engineers have also modified the 2.9-liter twin-turbocharged V6 so it pumps out 540 hp, the equivalent of 187 hp per liter.

The aerodynamics of the Giulia GTAm have also been overhauled with a revised front splitter and new carbon fiber air intake shrouds. The car also features unique wheels, bespoke side skirts, a new diffuser, and a towering carbon fiber rear wing. It looks just about as aggressive as a sports sedan can.

Last edited:
Always thought the $199 a month EV lease with a decent range was the holy grail ...allowing tech updates as the art moves forward and fixed budgeting.
Even $299 a month and no mileage penalty would fly for the average commuter.

Always thought the $199 a month EV lease with a decent range was the holy grail ...allowing tech updates as the art moves forward and fixed budgeting.
Even $299 a month and no mileage penalty would fly for the average commuter.
300/month lease on an EV with 300km range in the cold weather and I’ll be first in line.

My gas bills are usually 300/month driving fairly economical vehicles.

Still considering one last ICE car before fill EV.

Back
Top Bottom