What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 189 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

I swapped out my brake and clutch leave to some shorty versions. Just because.
Forgot to take the "after" picture of the clutch side so not posting the before either.

I ended up getting them from AVDB MOTO L'ACCESSOIRE À PRIX MOTARD (out of France) as I read some decent reviews and they were very cost effective in comparison to some other brands. They look very much identical so some of the really expensive CRG/Vortex /ASV etc.

Total cost for the set $94 CAD pesos. I had family visiting Europe so they brought them back for me. No additional shipping or customs.

After the first test right, I might need to bring the clutch side closer to the end of the bar as I seem to be grabbing a bit of the ball end of the lever. Other than that they seem to be good for my proposes.

PXL-20240731-214534255.jpg

PXL-20240731-215332527.jpg
I had a set of cheapo eBay shorty levers on my orange Strom for about 100k They looked really good compared to Pazzo’s and we’re a nice metallic orange.

At some point, the hole in the lever where the cable end sits snugly into became larger. I think it was due to very mild friction and rubbing over many miles of use. The hole eventually became so big that I could almost pop the cable end out of the hole, so I went back to the stock levers. Mine were only $40/set, so yours are probably more than twice as good.

I like the shorty levers much better though for fit and feel and have a set of the CRG’s now.

I had a set of cheapo eBay shorty levers on my orange Strom for about 100k They looked really good compared to Pazzo’s and we’re a nice metallic orange.

At some point, the hole in the lever where the cable end sits snugly into became larger. I think it was due to very mild friction and rubbing over many miles of use. The hole eventually became so big that I could almost pop the cable end out of the hole, so I went back to the stock levers. Mine were only $40/set, so yours are probably more than twice as good.

I like the shorty levers much better though for fit and feel and have a set of the CRG’s now.

Both sides are hydraulic on the DL1050 but I get what you mean.
The clutch side has a hole where a brass piece gets transferred from the stock lever, this piece engages the hydraulic pin on the clutch master.

These new short levers may have a little bit more up/down play/movement or I just never paid attention to it with the stock ones.

What are the advantages to shorty levers? Are they closer to the grips?

1722525917815.png

I think there is also a scientific or mathematical explanation for them as well.

Reactions: LBV
If you do a one or two finger pull, they don't hit your other fingers. That gives you about a 1/2" more useful travel (so you could start them closer or have a different pull ratio to allow easier modulation).

Both sides are hydraulic on the DL1050 but I get what you mean.
The clutch side has a hole where a brass piece gets transferred from the stock lever, this piece engages the hydraulic pin on the clutch master.

These new short levers may have a little bit more up/down play/movement or I just never paid attention to it with the stock ones.
Keep that brass piece greased.

I tend to drop my bikes and the longer stock levers kept snapping off. Shorty levers aren’t as wide as the bars so they don’t break, which is great because then I don’t need extra levers when I go on trips.

I like how they look better.

Never had a problem with the 2 finger pull on stock levers.

Do shorty levers require more effort to pull? (decreased leverage)

Theoretically yes, but most people use more force with the index and middle finger anyway even if they use four fingers on the lever. Pull the lever yourself with four fingers and you'll see what I mean. Ring and pinkie aren't exerting much force.

Before I moved to shorties, I always used one finger pulls anyway, the rest of the fingers are on the bar as an anchor so you have better control of the steering. Got tired of having the clutch lever hitting the back of my other fingers, so I went to shortie levers. The extra leverage required is not even noticeable.

Well... Normally I don't do car/truck work, but my truck starting stalling on me at red lights while I was on my way to go help a stranded rider (some help I am).

2006 F150 with 325,000+ km, P0506 error... Normally when this happens it's most often either throttle body (and/or MAF) or ....timing (which might cost more to fix than my truck is worth *cringe*)

I had gotten an oil change the day before so I have to admit, a part of me thought "What the **** did those guys do?"

Decided to try the throttle body.
The front two bolts were rough enough but came out ok after enough patience and PB Blaster... The back two were so corroded that it probably took me an hour to get two bolts out.

bolts.jpeg

Once I got those two out and the box off, this is what I saw when I looked down.

before2.jpeg

I thought that looked bad, and then I took the throttle body out and saw this on the other side:

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-02 at 10.35.32 AM.jpeg
Nasty!

Spent half an hour with some throttle body cleaner getting it all clean again. It came out like this:

after 1.jpeg

and the top side:

after 2.jpeg

The metal scratches weren't me. Someone else must've been in there before I bought the truck 100,000+ km ago.

Called up Ford because I needed new hardware to reinstall the airbox. 10 days backorder. No thanks.

Got the part number, googled it, they're M6 - 1.0 x 42.5. Home Depot sells five M6 - 1.0 x 40 for $4 (or basically the cost of one bolt from Ford). I said **** it that'll do the trick.

Put a little anti-seize on it 'cause listen to @Relax . Put everything back together... and....

Only took it for a 40 minute drive but, so far the occasional shuddering that had developed at idle during the winter was 95% gone. The engine stalling out at stops was gone. The big ol v8 lives on?!

I'll need to drive it around a bit more but, I think so!

That doesn't look like much of a buildup, but obviously made a big difference. I didn't realize throttle bodies were that sensitive. Is it a weight imbalance thing or air blockage?

That doesn't look like much of a buildup, but obviously made a big difference. I didn't realize throttle bodies were that sensitive. Is it a weight imbalance thing or air blockage?
Since the issues were at idle, the buildup on the face of the blade was probably immaterial. Buildup at the contact line or around the edge of the blade that keeps it from seating in the proper location can cause issues at idle.

i am not one to recommend any "mechanic in a can" treatments... except fuel injector cleaner. It IS a good idea to throw some in once in a while.
Watch this
(I am also not one to recommend getting info off the internet, but Lake Speed Jr. actually knows his stuff AND, this is the best part, NEVER tries to sell you anything) I can't remember which chemical you want to clean injector, but I do remember they can't put it in pump gas cuz it evaporates so quickly... watch the video... pay particular attention to what he says about Seafoam.

That's a 1 hr video ... you got a Coles Notes version? :)

Since the issues were at idle, the buildup on the face of the blade was probably immaterial. Buildup at the contact line or around the edge of the blade that keeps it from seating in the proper location can cause issues at idle.
Thanks, never thought about the seating!

That's a 1 hr video ... you got a Coles Notes version? :)
1722620522526.png
The best I can do. He doesn't like Seafoam. I still have another bottle of the stuff. It is a great presentation for sure, I will go back and listen to it.
He likes Techron. Used to buy it when I used to go to the US.

View attachment 69124
The best I can do. He doesn't like Seafoam. I still have another bottle of the stuff. It is a great presentation for sure, I will go back and listen to it.
He likes Techron. Used to buy it when I used to go to the US.

I've also heard good things about Techron from other sources, but never used it myself unless I happened to fill up at a Chevron.

Back
Top Bottom