What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 190 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Ratchet up the speed until you lose comprehension, then down a notch. For most native english speakers, understanding 2x is easy.

For videos that have closed captioning you can also enable the transcript. Look for the "Show Transcript" button in the video's description section. It doesn't show up by default in mobile versions of Chrome-based web browsers, so you may have to click the browser's "Use Desktop site" checkbox in order to get the button to appear. The transcript has embedded timestamp links, so it's great for skipping through the usual "Hey guys, welcome to my channel!" intro stuff. There's also a transcript text search.

Since the issues were at idle, the buildup on the face of the blade was probably immaterial. Buildup at the contact line or around the edge of the blade that keeps it from seating in the proper location can cause issues at idle.
Well, I gotta pump the brakes... She started shuttering a bit at idle last night after about 40-45 minutes. Totally fine on the highway but it wasn't happy in a parking lot afterwards.

I see that I can get a new throttle body on Amazon for $115... And return it for free if it doesn't make a difference... Think it's worth giving a try?

PS truck already has 325,000 km and I've already brought the new one home, just trying to see if there's an easy way to fix this baby up so I can sell her problem free and get as much out of the truck sale as possible.

Brought the windsurfers home from the inlaws cottage as they weren't being used there very often (we aren't there very often and when we are good wind has not been). Needed to make a sail loft to get the sails out of the way and keep them protected from critters.

Board storage on the wall I put in is not ideal and needs re-organization. I'll wait for my wife to be around. Putting boards into a rack over 10' in the air isn't ideal but at least they're out of the way and safe from damage.

20240806-155133.jpg

View attachment 69124
The best I can do. He doesn't like Seafoam. I still have another bottle of the stuff. It is a great presentation for sure, I will go back and listen to it.
He likes Techron. Used to buy it when I used to go to the US.
He doesn't like seafoam in oil for a number of very good reasons. I have never used seafoam in oil. I use it in gas only. Further research shows seafoam is oil/naptha/isopropyl alcohol. Meh, that's not all that helpful. I won't be buying more. I will buy PEA fuel treatments going forward.

He doesn't like seafoam in oil for a number of very good reasons. I have never used seafoam in oil. I use it in gas only. Further research shows seafoam is oil/naptha/isopropyl alcohol. Meh, that's not all that helpful. I won't be buying more. I will buy PEA fuel treatments going forward.
I've never tried it in oil either. Each time I do an oil change in the car, I forget to add it shortly beforehand, this is for our cars (both over 220,000kms). I never want to add anything to the bike's oil due to the wet clutch.
The Seafoam has become so overpriced now as well. Will look for Techron or likes too in future.

Found the Scrambler way too bouncy and soft so as per a recommendation by @Relax at Burger night I went from the least amount of preload…to the max.

Haven’t ridden it yet but just sitting on it I can tell it’s a tad higher and MUCH more firm as it doesn’t sag under my weight.

Took pics of the bike for sale (for the last time this season), and will install the tail GIVI mount for a day ride coming up.

Fun trying to keep my knuckles from scraping with the spring tool…

Found the Scrambler way too bouncy and soft so as per a recommendation by @Relax at Burger night I went from the least amount of preload…to the max.

Haven’t ridden it yet but just sitting on it I can tell it’s a tad higher and MUCH more firm as it doesn’t sag under my weight.

Took pics of the bike for sale (for the last time this season), and will install the tail GIVI mount for a day ride coming up.

Fun trying to keep my knuckles from scraping with the spring tool…

Uh, for the record, I only suggested a couple of steps at a time on the collar. That said, if it were me, I might have done the same just to see what the range was. Be careful your first time out if you plan on purposely hitting a big bump, since there seems to be no rebound (or compression) damping adjustment.

Uh, for the record, I only suggested a couple of steps at a time on the collar. That said, if it were me, I might have done the same just to see what the range was. Be careful your first time out if you plan on purposely hitting a big bump, since there seems to be no rebound (or compression) damping adjustment.
Noted! May knock it down to adjustment #3 as it goes 1-5.

If you have a wheel chock, you can do this with one helper:

Ask the Geek: Set Your Static Sag.
Thanks and I need to do this on my bike and have a wheel chock. Never done that before myself either, so that will help nd hopefully my wife can too.

Today with all the rain and not riding for the weekend, I finally installed the Wilbers shock I bought last year. I generally like the way the bike feels and responds to the road conditions and had no real compaints with the ride, but had heard the Wilbers is much better than stock and got this one for a great price. When I took off the old shock I saw that it was already swapped out by the previous owner to a Racetech spring. I guess that's why it felt pretty nice all this time.

Now just need to the rain to go away so I can test it out.

IMG_0556-4K.jpg

IMG_0557-4K.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Motool Slacker which makes it really easy to get close completely by myself. If anyone wants their sag checked/adjusted, just remind me to bring it with me to the next meetup. You may need to bring your own shock and fork preload tools in case the ones I have don't fit.

I have a Motool Slacker which makes it really easy to get close completely by myself. If anyone wants their sag checked/adjusted, just remind me to bring it with me to the next meetup. You may need to bring your own shock and fork preload tools in case the ones I have don't fit.
I would totally be down for someone to show me how to do it properly, so I can tweak it as my riding style changes from commuting to spirited to long distance to 2up.

I would take up that offer.

That particular kind is great for lubing the chain. Not so good for anything involving removal of the rear wheel.
Agreed. Don’t plan on doing that for quite some time, but for now it’ll do.

I use sea foam in oil, about every 3 changes. 1/2 a 100km before an oil change for one single purpose - it cleans the sludge out of a tiny oil line that feeds my turbo.

Ive had 3 Chev 1.4ts, the first 2 saw 300000km, the one I have now has 200k. Most eat turbos before 200k due to clogged lines… me, never.

I used to do the same to my old Yamaha V-twins, back then 1/2 litre of naphtha did the trick.

Thanks and I need to do this on my bike and have a wheel chock. Never done that before myself either, so that will help nd hopefully my wife can too.

Today with all the rain and not riding for the weekend, I finally installed the Wilbers shock I bought last year. I generally like the way the bike feels and responds to the road conditions and had no real compaints with the ride, but had heard the Wilbers is much better than stock and got this one for a great price. When I took off the old shock I saw that it was already swapped out by the previous owner to a Racetech spring. I guess that's why it felt pretty nice all this time.

Now just need to the rain to go away so I can test it out.

IMG_0556-4K.jpg

IMG_0557-4K.jpg
Wilbers stuff is amazing value.

A few notes:

- Race Tech spring wouldn't change how the suspension feels beyond being either stiffer or softer than stock. Springs are pretty basic things, the magic of good suspension happens in the damping.
- To get the most out of that shock, it's probably worth doing a bit of work on the forks. At minimum, the oil probably needs changed (suspension oil breaks down faster than most think because it's being cavitated and forced through tiny holes thousands of times per ride).
- If you get nice suspension dialled in, it is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because you'll get way better ride quality and a more controlled feel in multiple circumstances. A curse because stock suspension will forever afterwards feel a bit crap, and you'll notice problems with things you didn't even notice before. It's not going to change your life like some will claim, but it is a significantly noticeable difference.
- Getting sag right is only the first step. Aftermarket suspension has way wider range of adjustment than stock, and it's much easier to get lost in the weeds of a bad setup. I would highly recommend at least taking the bike to a decent suspension shop and getting a solid baseline dialled in. At least that way you'll know what it's supposed to feel like for future tinkering. Getting a basic setup done is usually relatively cheap, too. Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn is the best (semi) locally, but they're busy, so you'll have to call ahead to make an appointment, and they're hardly around the corner. On the flip side, there's some nice roads around there, and their dog is an absolute sweetheart...

Wilbers stuff is amazing value.

A few notes:

- Race Tech spring wouldn't change how the suspension feels beyond being either stiffer or softer than stock. Springs are pretty basic things, the magic of good suspension happens in the damping.
- To get the most out of that shock, it's probably worth doing a bit of work on the forks. At minimum, the oil probably needs changed (suspension oil breaks down faster than most think because it's being cavitated and forced through tiny holes thousands of times per ride).
- If you get nice suspension dialled in, it is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because you'll get way better ride quality and a more controlled feel in multiple circumstances. A curse because stock suspension will forever afterwards feel a bit crap, and you'll notice problems with things you didn't even notice before. It's not going to change your life like some will claim, but it is a significantly noticeable difference.
- Getting sag right is only the first step. Aftermarket suspension has way wider range of adjustment than stock, and it's much easier to get lost in the weeds of a bad setup. I would highly recommend at least taking the bike to a decent suspension shop and getting a solid baseline dialled in. At least that way you'll know what it's supposed to feel like for future tinkering. Getting a basic setup done is usually relatively cheap, too. Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn is the best (semi) locally, but they're busy, so you'll have to call ahead to make an appointment, and they're hardly around the corner. On the flip side, there's some nice roads around there, and their dog is an absolute sweetheart...
My last bike (VStrom 650) was set up at Accelerated Technologies in summer of 2020. It had an Elka shock that was mint and they upgraded the forks for me and set the bike up. Took a few rides to get used to but once I did, it felt great on all kinds of riding. I took my laptop up there and worked out of their shop for the day while John and Ron worked in my bike. Then I went and tested it out on Northeys Bay Rd and the 507. That bike was not your average VStrom!

This bike is a first gen FZ1 and just had the fork oil changed a month ago. The internals were upgraded for the previous owner by a shop called Traxxion Dynamics in the US and feel pretty damn good.. So maybe I’ll book an appt with John and ride over there again and see what magic they can do for me on this bike for dialling it all in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom