The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 415 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

I think people still have pandemic prices in their heads when the reality is that those days are gone. A lot of people are hurting for money and cashing out of motorcycling. It's a buyer's market now, and bikes are moving for pre-pandemic prices again, or else often not moving at all.

Consider my experience from about a month ago. I sold my 2010 Bonneville (too many bikes, put almost no miles on it) for $5,000 firm, certified. Case study time 😂

2010 Bonneville for $5k vs 2012 Thruxton for $4500

8.5k km on mine vs 7.5k km (close enough)
New Bridgestone tires on mine vs 12 yr old stock tires on the Thrux
TORS / Triumph upgraded exhausts vs stock on that Thrux
NO dent in the tank or anywhere vs dented gas tank
Mine was sold safetied vs as-is
Both came with new batteries

Mine also came with my box of spare parts including new plugs, service manual, new oil filter, oem mirrors, blah blah blah.

So someone saved $400 on the Thruxton... with no safety cert, stock pipes, 12 year old tires, a dented gas tank...

Do the math on what they'll spend on new tires and a safety. Did they save anything?

And you might think "But your Bonneville was a great deal too!"

Was it? Was it reeaaaally?!

It took me a month to sell that bike. I think it was a fair deal for a great bike. I don't think mine was a great deal. If mine was a great deal it would have sold a lot faster than it did. I think whoever bought that Thruxton got a fair deal for a great bike. That's about what those bikes are worth imo.

Thruxton is also a slightly harder to find, higher-spec model and two years newer, plus nobody gives a crap about non-stock exhausts unless it's something rare or top-shelf like a full Akra. Can't speak to the tires (are they mentioned in the ad?), but a safety cost me $120 recently. So say all-in that's $600 and you trade $200 and a small dent in the tank for a two year newer and better spec'ed model. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Nothing is selling fast these days and this time of year unless aggressively priced, but I'd say $4600 for that Triumph is a very reasonable price.

Scrambler hasn't sold for the last post either ($7500). So it's going in to get an early DESMO done (1000km on the maintenance light) next week, and then I'll list it again.

Let's see if that gets rid of some of the 24,000km jitters.

Scrambler hasn't sold for the last post either ($7500). So it's going in to get an early DESMO done (1000km on the maintenance light) next week, and then I'll list it again.

You've got some extras included right? Lower handle bar and stock cast rims that go with the bike?

You've got some extras included right? Lower handle bar and stock cast rims that go with the bike?
Yes that's correct. Those are no longer in the ad.

May consider selling them separately, but not sure if it's worth it.

Reactions: LBV
Not a bike but stupid good price…

Those stands are useless ... I bought 1 a few years ago and unless you have a bike with a fat front tire the bike just wobbles over. I ended taping some pool noodle pieces around each arm to make it usable. Overpriced at $10 lol

1729537685233.png

Yes that's correct. Those are no longer in the ad.

May consider selling them separately, but not sure if it's worth it.
I just threw out the stock handlebar that looks just like yours while cleaning up the basement a bit ... I got it when I bought my 2019 which the previous owner had already installed bars off the Full Throttle model (which I liked).

I just threw out the stock handlebar that looks just like yours while cleaning up the basement a bit ... I got it when I bought my 2019 which the previous owner had already installed bars off the Full Throttle model (which I liked).
Ya...it's quite wide and high up.

Depending on the winter motivation I may swap out the bars.

For now, Ken's getting his hands on the DESMO next week for me.

Reactions: LBV

A few questions:

- Where is it posted? Just did a quick search of FB Marketplace for 'ducati scrambler 800' and I don't think yours came up. One was $7300 and claimed reason for selling was new baby, one was $8000, both were 2018's with much lower mileage. Here's what I get for that search within 500 kms of Hamilton:
1729537933968.png
Much as I hate Facebook, the sad reality is that Kijiji is a much smaller buyer base. I've been selling some music gear as well lately, and the interest from FB Marketplace is 10x that of Kijiji. Weirdly, in BC it used to be Craigslist instead of Kijiji here (which I vastly prefer), but apparently FB has taken over there, too. I actually have a FB account just to use Marketplace, has zero friends.

- How much will the desmo service cost? Is it worth deducting that cost from the value? If I was a buyer, I'd rather take the discount and have control over which shop and mechanic did the work and more peace of mind that it had been done to standard.

- I know it's been a long saga here, but remind me why you want to sell? I have a feeling you'll be taking a hit on it bigger than you hope, so unless you are desperate to be rid and move on, it might be a reason to keep or it might be a reason to sell at a bigger loss than ideal.

In my case, I think the last-gen Tuonos are some of the best value used bikes you can buy. They go for $11-12k all year long, look better than the new ones, have everything top shelf to go with any new bike (gadgets, power, suspension, etc.), and anything post-2016 is *way* more reliable than the reputation suggests. If you compare to what else you can get for $12k, there's very little that comes close. I hung onto mine because anything else I was looking at (RS660, Honda AT, Tuareg, V85TT, etc.) would have cost me thousands more for what I still think are vastly inferior bikes by any objective measure. I just couldn't justify to myself spending more to get so much less.

BUT. I wasn't riding the Tuono because it wasn't a fit for where I live and the riding available to me. It was perfect in BC with empty and twisty roads handy, but it was just frustrating to ride here with any piece of pavement with a corner being both busy and limited to 50. It took me well over a year to figure out that it was pointless to have a bike I considered so impeccable if it just gathered dust in the garage. At a certain point, I had to choose: find a way to ride the Tuono or find a way to sell it and get something else that is a better fit. I tried really hard this year to ride it, but it just didn't happen. So I sold the bike, thinking I would live without a street motorcycle for a while. Turns out that also wasn't an option for me, so you end up with my own navel-gaze thread elsewhere about buying a replacement. Now that I have a bike that's a much better fit for my current needs, I've already put more miles on it than I had in the previous six months on the Tuono.

Anyway, just a ramble, but something to think about if deciding whether to drop the price or hang on to the bike...

Good points @Priller and I'll try to respond to each...

1. I removed it from FB Marketplace due to it showing up all kinds of weird, and will repost once DESMO is done. So it's only on Kijiji right now, and will be removed today.
2. DESMO at GP Bikes is $2600 all in. Ken is quite a lot less than that.
3. Bike is great, but not suited for long distance cruises / rides which I prefer. I fooled myself thinking 'with kids I'll only have 1-2hr rides'...I don't like those rides. I like half day -> full day long distance cruises. Bike has low fuel range = more stops. Minimal wind protection (new windshield in the garage to replace that flimsy junk.

There is no perfect bike...the X was great, but slow and meh. The VSTROM is faster, but probably still meh. The VFR800 has my eye.

Africa Twin = way too expensive for my budget

That's it in a nutshell.

Good points @Priller and I'll try to respond to each...

1. I removed it from FB Marketplace due to it showing up all kinds of weird, and will repost once DESMO is done. So it's only on Kijiji right now, and will be removed today.
2. DESMO at GP Bikes is $2600 all in. Ken is quite a lot less than that.
3. Bike is great, but not suited for long distance cruises / rides which I prefer. I fooled myself thinking 'with kids I'll only have 1-2hr rides'...I don't like those rides. I like half day -> full day long distance cruises. Bike has low fuel range = more stops. Minimal wind protection (new windshield in the garage to replace that flimsy junk.

There is no perfect bike...the X was great, but slow and meh. The VSTROM is faster, but probably still meh. The VFR800 has my eye.

Africa Twin = way too expensive for my budget

That's it in a nutshell.
All fair enough. I'm with you on the tank range. Most other issues with a bike can be addressed, but adding range really boils down to strapping a jug of gas to the seat and that's it. Not a viable solution for regular riding. It's one of the main reasons I didn't look at a VFR1200 when I was thinking sport-tourer. You can lower pegs, raise bars, change screens, upgrade suspension, replace seats, the whole gamut. But you can't make a tank bigger without some serious and expensive surgery.

If I were in your shoes, my concern about doing the desmo service now would be that the risk is you pile another grand plus into the bike, and it doesn't change the buyer demand that much at the price you're hoping to hit. If this is a bike you definitely aren't keeping (and it sounds like the issues you have are pretty big and unfixable), you'll just be even further in the hole. If it were me, I'd lower the price equivalently, and if no takers, winterise the bike and reconvene in the spring. If STILL no takers, then do the service and see what happens. Unless you really want to pick something else up at fall discount pricing (or there's a deal out there worthy of this thread that you have an eye on), there's little rush. Worst case is selling at fall prices and buying at spring prices, especially if you have your own storage.

Just some unsolicited advice, anyhow.

As for alternates, lots depend on how far your budget can stretch. Based on what you describe and what I was shopping for that overlaps, I was looking at Ninja 1000's in the $8000 asking ($7-7500 sale price) bracket this fall, and newer gen VFR800's can be had in that range as well. Especially if you look in Quebec where literally dozens are for sale. Quebecers seem to love sport tourers. On the ADV end of sport touring, I looked very closely at '18-'19ish Tracer 900s, especially after listening to a Front End Chatter podcast where Simon Hargreaves waxed lyrical about how he would put the GT version up there as the closest available to a true 'do it all' bike. There's a few out there around the $7k mark that seem to be in decent nick and come with useful accessories, as long as you have a scraper to get the embarrassing 44Teeth decals off:

Thruxton is also a slightly harder to find, higher-spec model and two years newer, plus nobody gives a crap about non-stock exhausts unless it's something rare or top-shelf like a full Akra. Can't speak to the tires (are they mentioned in the ad?), but a safety cost me $120 recently. So say all-in that's $600 and you trade $200 and a small dent in the tank for a two year newer and better spec'ed model. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Nothing is selling fast these days and this time of year unless aggressively priced, but I'd say $4600 for that Triumph is a very reasonable price.

The 2012 was higher spec? You sure about that? Please tell me more 😂

1 cm taller rear shock, of equivalently crap quality. Different ergonomics. No other differences.

The 2012 was higher spec? You sure about that? Please tell me more 😂

1 cm taller rear shock, of equivalently crap quality. Different ergonomics. No other differences.
I don't know the bikes at all, but Google says higher compression, slightly more power and torque, bigger front brake discs, preload adjustable forks, and a tach. Minor differences, but higher spec nonetheless. Most importantly, they charged more for them new. The spec may be mostly identical, but the Thruxton *is* higher spec, even if it's only barely...

All fair enough. I'm with you on the tank range. Most other issues with a bike can be addressed, but adding range really boils down to strapping a jug of gas to the seat and that's it. Not a viable solution for regular riding. It's one of the main reasons I didn't look at a VFR1200 when I was thinking sport-tourer. You can lower pegs, raise bars, change screens, upgrade suspension, replace seats, the whole gamut. But you can't make a tank bigger without some serious and expensive surgery.

If I were in your shoes, my concern about doing the desmo service now would be that the risk is you pile another grand plus into the bike, and it doesn't change the buyer demand that much at the price you're hoping to hit. If this is a bike you definitely aren't keeping (and it sounds like the issues you have are pretty big and unfixable), you'll just be even further in the hole. If it were me, I'd lower the price equivalently, and if no takers, winterise the bike and reconvene in the spring. If STILL no takers, then do the service and see what happens. Unless you really want to pick something else up at fall discount pricing (or there's a deal out there worthy of this thread that you have an eye on), there's little rush. Worst case is selling at fall prices and buying at spring prices, especially if you have your own storage.

Just some unsolicited advice, anyhow.

As for alternates, lots depend on how far your budget can stretch. Based on what you describe and what I was shopping for that overlaps, I was looking at Ninja 1000's in the $8000 asking ($7-7500 sale price) bracket this fall, and newer gen VFR800's can be had in that range as well. Especially if you look in Quebec where literally dozens are for sale. Quebecers seem to love sport tourers. On the ADV end of sport touring, I looked very closely at '18-'19ish Tracer 900s, especially after listening to a Front End Chatter podcast where Simon Hargreaves waxed lyrical about how he would put the GT version up there as the closest available to a true 'do it all' bike. There's a few out there around the $7k mark that seem to be in decent nick and come with useful accessories, as long as you have a scraper to get the embarrassing 44Teeth decals off:

Thanks for that! Appreciate you taking the time.

I'll go forward with the DESMO because frankly if the bike doesn't sell...I'll just keep it. To me it's a hobby, not a lifestyle, and as a hobby I'm willing to put up with some inconveniences for the sake of it.

The bike is fantastic in the majority of the riding I do...except the long full day rides which happen 2-3 times/year...so basically the bike meets like 90% of my riding needs.

If it sells...great. If it doesn't...no big deal. But the service I want done simply for my own piece of mind because frankly...I don't know when/if it was actually done.

I can use a reader right now and reset it, and no one's the wiser. But I'm not that type of a$$hole.

Thanks for that! Appreciate you taking the time.

I'll go forward with the DESMO because frankly if the bike doesn't sell...I'll just keep it. To me it's a hobby, not a lifestyle, and as a hobby I'm willing to put up with some inconveniences for the sake of it.

The bike is fantastic in the majority of the riding I do...except the long full day rides which happen 2-3 times/year...so basically the bike meets like 90% of my riding needs.

If it sells...great. If it doesn't...no big deal. But the service I want done simply for my own piece of mind because frankly...I don't know when/if it was actually done.

I can use a reader right now and reset it, and no one's the wiser. But I'm not that type of a$$hole.
Honestly... there's no perfect bike.

Are you happy with the power?
Seating position?
Weight?
Comfort?
Wind protection? Or lack there-of.

I'd put a rack on the back, with a rotopax mount; incase you get range induced paranoia.

Make it your own. Its always a compromise.

Since you're not on the position, or willing to go the N+1 route.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom