The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 413 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

Where to draw the line between stupidly overpriced, regularly overpriced or reasonably priced?
If it doesn't sell in whatever market you're in, after a reasonable time and even with a minor reduction in price after negotiation with an interested seller, it's the former.

If it sells extremely quickly, possibly sight unseen, it's probably underpriced.

Note that my definition of what is overpriced and what is a reasonable amount of time is relative to the market, and how much demand there is for what you're selling, in that market. What's reasonable in Toronto might be different than reasonable in Noranda. If you're selling locally, you have a smaller market than if you're selling on e.g. eBay. If you're selling a collectible, you'll get more in a market with lots of collectors than fewer - you might get nothing from the latter.

Last edited:
Where to draw the line between stupidly overpriced, regularly overpriced or reasonably priced? Full transparency this is my listing for my RZ500

It’s a tough call. I felt my bike has been priced relatively ok compared to others….but zero calls for it at 9-8.5-8-7.5k …

Looks like I’m keeping it or need to blow it out with a very low price….

It’s a tough call. I felt my bike has been priced relatively ok compared to others….but zero calls for it at 9-8.5-8-7.5k …

We're in a recession. Toys are the first to go.
Not many with disposable income right now... for Ducati scramblers, or collectible mid 80's 2 stroke 500s.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Have you considered trading the bike in? I know common wisdom is that dealers charge more, but doing so will reduce the sales tax you pay on the bike you're buying - you'll only pay tax on the difference between purchase and sale price. Whereas if you buy a bike privately, you're paying tax on the full purchase price.

Just a thought.

Have you considered trading the bike in? I know common wisdom is that dealers charge more, but doing so will reduce the sales tax you pay on the bike you're buying - you'll only pay tax on the difference between purchase and sale price. Whereas if you buy a bike privately, you're paying tax on the full purchase price.

Just a thought.
That can work but the gap is often too wide. He tried to do that with his car to switch from manual to dual clutch for a roughly identical car and dealership wanted $10k plus the car. Much cheaper to trans swap yourself if you really wanted it.

Just a thought.
Yes I’ve considered it but haven’t had an opportunity to go to a dealer that has what I’m looking for. Although I should jump to GP and see if I can book a test drive for a VSTROM 650. They had a sweet VFR800 but it sold fast.

As @GreyGhost mentioned when I tried to go from my 2021 GTI to an almost identical 2022 GTI with same spec, and similar km…

‘Well you know used car pricing is down so we’ll have to lower the trade value’
‘Ok cool so does that mean your used car goes down also in price?’
‘Oh no. Our car is priced very competitively so the difference is your car + 9k in cash’

I laughed and I laughed. And then I told them no thanks.

Where is the bike advertised? If it's not on FB, Kijiji, Auto Trader, and GTAM, you're not trying hard enough.

Yes I’ve considered it but haven’t had an opportunity to go to a dealer that has what I’m looking for. Although I should jump to GP and see if I can book a test drive for a VSTROM 650. They had a sweet VFR800 but it sold fast.

As @GreyGhost mentioned when I tried to go from my 2021 GTI to an almost identical 2022 GTI with same spec, and similar km…

‘Well you know used car pricing is down so we’ll have to lower the trade value’
‘Ok cool so does that mean your used car goes down also in price?’
‘Oh no. Our car is priced very competitively so the difference is your car + 9k in cash’

I laughed and I laughed. And then I told them no thanks.
I traded two bikes in at GP because I cant stand dealing on FB or kijiji Expect to loose at least $3000 over a private sale.But you save some on tax due to trade in.

I traded two bikes in at GP Expect to loose at least $3000 over a private sale.But you save some on tax due to trade in.
I agree. Out of curiosity (and because now I have Ducati fever, and they have one bike in the inventory that caught my attention), I called GP to find out how much they could buy my motorcycle. If I wanted to trade in, they offered around $3k less than I would expect or $500 less if I wanted to be paid in cash.

I agree. Out of curiosity (and because now I have Ducati fever, and they have one bike in the inventory that caught my attention), I called GP to find out how much they could buy my motorcycle. If I wanted to trade in, they offered around $3k less than I would expect or $500 less if I wanted to be paid in cash.
So they are offering you $2500 MORE to buy it from you outright?

I traded two bikes in at GP because I cant stand dealing on FB or kijiji
That's a benefit whose value cannot be overstated. If you trade in a bike you can get rid of it ASAP. and be on to the next toy. No paying insurance on a bike you're not riding. No waiting around to buy the bike you want because you can't sell your current bike. No wasting time answering hundreds of messages. No waiting around for people who may or may not show up and may be of dubious intentions.

I sold a bike in the spring and it drove me crazy. And it sold in two days.

Back
Top Bottom