The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 412 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

The new Transalp is a parallel twin. I've been looking for an old Africa Twin and am kicking myself for not buying the only one I ever saw on Kijiji years ago.
How about an old Transalp? Lots of miles but clean and owned last 14yrs by a Honda tech so it says.

Attachments

• IMG_5819.png
    IMG_5819.png
    790.8 KB · Views: 14
Here's another Transalp:

7e2c3f9b58fb4b6c329e7921f8f461eb.jpg

How about an old Transalp? Lots of miles but clean and owned last 14yrs by a Honda tech so it says.

Here's another Transalp:

7e2c3f9b58fb4b6c329e7921f8f461eb.jpg
Both those bikes are a little pricey for the 'The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread"

That vintage Transalp was killed off by the KLR. Unless there is some unknown collectibility factor, I'd say $2500 might be a more appropriate price.

I had a '88 Transalp, I was un-impressed... under powered and pedestrian. I think the major part of that "un-impressed" is I was getting off a fully done XR600 onto the Transalp.
I have found new love in that motor in the RC31, but the last time I built a RC31 motor, I had to use a Transalp gasket kit, cuz there is NO MORE RC31 gaskets, and it was a search for the XL-V gaskets (you can usually bodge gaskets but these things have these weird seals on the cooling pipes, that I couldn't replicate)

I don't think the Transalp was killed by the KLR, or the DRz... different type of bike, Transalp was more street... V twin and all. Transalp died cuz it was weird. Still doesn't have a "class"... it's sorta an "adventure" bike... sorta. The "sorta" "kinda" killed it, no body knew what it was supposed to be, even Honda. How do you market "sorta"? Just another weird Honda, Honda is good at weird. Rune anyone? Pacific Coast? What the hell was that?

I had a '88 Transalp, I was un-impressed... under powered and pedestrian. I think the major part of that "un-impressed" is I was getting off a fully done XR600 onto the Transalp.
I have found new love in that motor in the RC31, but the last time I built a RC31 motor, I had to use a Transalp gasket kit, cuz there is NO MORE RC31 gaskets, and it was a search for the XL-V gaskets (you can usually bodge gaskets but these things have these weird seals on the cooling pipes, that I couldn't replicate)

I don't think the Transalp was killed by the KLR, or the DRz... different type of bike, Transalp was more street... V twin and all. Transalp died cuz it was weird. Still doesn't have a "class"... it's sorta an "adventure" bike... sorta. The "sorta" "kinda" killed it, no body knew what it was supposed to be, even Honda. How do you market "sorta"? Just another weird Honda, Honda is good at weird. Rune anyone? Pacific Coast? What the hell was that?
I'll agree it was different, but I'm pretty sure the TA was in the same ring as the KLR, TDR250, and DRBig. In the late 80's the Japanese were figuring out the touring/gravel travel segment, in North America, the KLR won.

Yeah, but i think the cases are basically the same shape as the VT, same mounts

Hmmm. My first thought was that any P-Twin would be too wide to clear the frame, especially the front down tubes, but maybe I'm wrong.

That would be going backwards since it's only 583 cc. One of these days I need to take some measurements of my 990 motor to see if it will fit...

150hp so I would assume it goes very well!

Beautiful bike, but until the Scrambler sells...well it's just a pipe dream. I'm sure it's more fun / character than a VSTROM / VERSYS!
If you’re talking about a 2010+ Multistrada, yes, they go like a bat out of hell.

Be warned however. I understand you are shorter of stature, as I am. The bike is tall and rides taller.

And it does not like going off road. (Stock) tires are entirely street oriented, lots of plastic sticking out waiting to be broken, bike rides tall with that high COG. And everything broken is expensive to fix. That’s why I bought a hot stapler. LOL.

I took mine to meet my kids and brother at the parking lot for SCORRA dirt bike trails. Rough trail in and deep sand. That’s when I knew my dreams of going off road with it had ended.

The thing I hate most about the bike is the wind noise. It’s ferocious at speed.

But I smile looking at it when it's parked, and smile riding it when it's not.

The prior gens of Multis, though - they look awful.

Last edited:
If you’re talking about a 2010+ Multistrada, yes, they go like a bat out of hell.

Be warned however. I understand you are shorter of stature, as I am. The bike is tall and rides taller.

And it does not like going off road. (Stock) tires are entirely street oriented, lots of plastic sticking out waiting to be broken, bike rides tall with that high COG. And everything broken is expensive to fix. That’s why I bought a hot stapler. LOL.

I took mine to meet my kids and brother at the parking lot for SCORRA dirt bike trails. Rough trail in and deep sand. That’s when I knew my dreams of going off road with it had ended.

The thing I hate most about the bike is the wind noise. It’s ferocious at speed.

But I smile looking at it when it's parked, and smile riding it when it's not.

The prior gens of Multis, though - they look awful.
Thanks for the mini review! I've noticed a few 2010-14 models with around 30k kms available for what seems like a reasonable price of $8k, give or take. Seemed like a lot of bike for the money to me. It's not really my cuppa looks wise (to be fair, no ADV bike is, bar the AT and V85TT), but as a very comfy spot to do miles. The wind noise would be a dealbreaker for me, though, especially as a tourer...

Here's one that I suspect is long sold, as it's been up for the better part of a year, but seems fairly priced assuming no hidden gremlins:

FWIW Multis from 2010-2012 were the last years with the Ohlins suspension. You can even buy a module from Ohlins to convert them to semi-active.

That Pikes Peak is a nice example.

The wind noise would be a dealbreaker for me, though, especially as a tourer..

I really should have qualified that comment. For me the wind noise is really loud. But a lot of that depends on your own dimensions. I’m short. If I stand on the pegs I can get some clean air and noise is much reduced. Last weekend I added spacers to the windshield, and if I stand up wind noise is reduced even more to more of a hiss. This is all at 70mph+; below that speed buffeting and noise isn’t nearly as bad but things ramp up quickly at 70.

So if you’re taller than me, you might be OK. Wind noise is not an uncommon complaint for the 2010-14 Multistrada, but there are riders for whom it’s not as much of a problem.

If you find your way to the Orillia area, I’d be happy to let you take a spin and see how it works for you.

I really should have qualified that comment. For me the wind noise is really loud. But a lot of that depends on your own dimensions. I’m short. If I stand on the pegs I can get some clean air and noise is much reduced. Last weekend I added spacers to the windshield, and if I stand up wind noise is reduced even more to more of a hiss. This is all at 70mph+; below that speed buffeting and noise isn’t nearly as bad but things ramp up quickly at 70.

So if you’re taller than me, you might be OK. Wind noise is not an uncommon complaint for the 2010-14 Multistrada, but there are riders for whom it’s not as much of a problem.

If you find your way to the Orillia area, I’d be happy to let you take a spin and see how it works for you.
My Burgman 400 is the loudest two-wheel device I've ever been on at speed, absolutely deafening racket. My Tuono, on the other hand, was whisper quiet for me, quieter than the ZX-10R and ZX-14 I had before it. Wind noise is such a random thing, with so many variables, that it's almost impossible to predict accurately.

Thanks for the offer. Currently looking at bikes with no fairings at all, but may take you up on that if those paths turn into dead ends...

I'm 5'7 with a 29" inseam...so mounting that beast would be very difficult I assume...

But thanks to @Lightcycle tutorial he posted, it may be doable.

Regardless...the Scrambler is out for sale with another price drop 2 weeks after the last posting. $7500....mind you that also has a DESMO service light on in 1000km.

I'm 5'7 with a 29" inseam...so mounting that beast would be very difficult I assume...

But thanks to @Lightcycle tutorial he posted, it may be doable.

Regardless...the Scrambler is out for sale with another price drop 2 weeks after the last posting. $7500....mind you that also has a DESMO service light on in 1000km.
We’re of similar dimensions then, so my offer to @Priller is good for you too. If I can do it, you can do it.

The challenge is not when you’re going fast or slow but rather when you’re not moving at all. I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve dropped it a few times, each time at a complete standstill when I let it lean the wrong way. Thankfully, my bike came with crash bars.

If you haven’t done so, look up videos from Jocelyn Snow. She is much smaller than we are and she handles the biggest GSes with no problem, and has several videos on how to do so. One of her sayings is “Don’t let the bike be the boss of you”. Practicing and technique will get you there.

If I didn’t find a sweetheart deal on this bike I would never have considered a big adventure bike because of the height. I’m glad I did and am embracing the challenge.

Last edited:
The 16 Multistrada 1200S I had is still one of my all-time favourite bikes and that's saying a lot. Lot's of character and a pure joy to ride anywhere. No it won't do sand or deep/loose gravel well but that's a tire issue and not a bike issue. Hardpack dirt, fire-roads, regular gravel are all no problem whatsoever and the Offroad mode works quite well. I did plenty of roads other ADV bikes wouldn't dare. Yes it's expensive if you drop it and break stuff.
Yes there's buffeting from the standard screen, so put a smaller (ie. Pikes Peak) screen on it and the buffeting is gone. You'll get wind blast at high speeds but it's all clean air and that's fine with me (same as the 1290R I'm on now).

Back
Top Bottom