The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 410 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

I've messaged asking for better pics. Those are fuzzy and far enough to cover a multitude of sins. Mileage is also pretty high if it hasn't been cared for.
Good luck! I've always had a thing for the VFR...especially the white/red/blue variant.

If I had the space I’d buy it and sell mine later. But it does have 73,000km.
That's nothing for those powerplants, they are like car engines. Keep up the maintenance and they should go 300-400K km before getting tired.

That's nothing for those powerplants, they are like car engines. Keep up the maintenance and they should go 300-400K km before getting tired.
But the engine is just one component…how’s the rest of the bike hold up?

Regardless I’m not buying it. No space time or money.

It's been slow-speed crashed, rash on both right side fairing pieces and clutch cover and broken rear brake lever. A little more than 'some scratches', but also appears to be all cosmetic. Seller also said it has ABS when closer photos reveal it doesn't, which either reveals a lack of honesty or a lack of knowledge about the bike, neither of which is a good sign considering the mileage.

Probably more of a project than I'm looking for at the moment, but I'm thinking on it, as the price is still excellent.

Any love for the VFR1200? I see a lot of focus on the 800...but very little comments on the 1200 variant.

Any love for the VFR1200? I see a lot of focus on the 800...but very little comments on the 1200 variant.
When they first came out, they were very negatively received, and that rep has stuck with them. Basically, people expected a beefier take on the VFR800 formula, but they instead got an expensive, overweight bike that had extremely poor tank range and had underwhelming power considering what should have been possible with a 1200cc V4.

For me, the weight and power are not dealbreakers if the price is right, but no touring bike has any business having a tank range barely over 200 kms. They improved it slightly in 2012, apparently by adjusting the fuelling, adding a teeny bit to the tank size, and adjusting how early the fuel light comes on, but it didn't make much difference. Also, every single one I see is a 2010, I don't think I've ever seen a 2012 or later for sale. I suspect the sales numbers were absolutely dismal.

They're available fairly cheap these days, so probably good value, but a lot of the ones I've seen posted also note some problems with the electrics, so they probably don't have the bulletproof reliability of previous Hondas. In some ways, you could argue that the VFR1200 was the first real sign that Honda Motorcycles had started to really lose their way as a company, as the bike was supposed to be a flagship statement...

Wow...no wonder they're so cheap in comparison to the VFR800.

Your other thread has given me some good potential replacements also so thanks for that.

But the engine is just one component…how’s the rest of the bike hold up?

Regardless I’m not buying it. No space time or money.
Its a honda too.

There are only 3 more Hondas I would buy….

- VFR800
- Africa Twin
- Trans Alp

Outside of that…I’m done with that reliable, dependable, fuel efficient garbage.
VFR 800 No. I don't like baby STs.
African Twin - No, I don't ride that terrain any more.
Trans Alp - No. DL800 VStrom for the win.

I'm a big fan of Honda from the 60s to the 90s, but since 2000 nothing excites me. I'm too young for a GoldWing, and never enjoyed riding SS bikes.

You do meet the nicest people on Hondas.

Well sh*t, if we're talking about beautifully made little Hondas from their glory days, this one will always be top of my list:

Was lucky enough to rent one for a few days in Chiang Mai many moons ago. Had a ball exploring the Golden Triangle, but had to take it easy, as I didn't pack any gear and what little Thai stuff was available didn't come sized to fit this particular farang. A jean jacket and work gloves don't lend themselves to dragging knees in the rural north of Thailand. Still, I had a ball, and the baby 30 was a real treat. Impossibly agile, punchier than expected, and sounded glorious.

When they first came out, they were very negatively received, and that rep has stuck with them. Basically, people expected a beefier take on the VFR800 formula, but they instead got an expensive, overweight bike that had extremely poor tank range and had underwhelming power considering what should have been possible with a 1200cc V4.

For me, the weight and power are not dealbreakers if the price is right, but no touring bike has any business having a tank range barely over 200 kms. They improved it slightly in 2012, apparently by adjusting the fuelling, adding a teeny bit to the tank size, and adjusting how early the fuel light comes on, but it didn't make much difference. Also, every single one I see is a 2010, I don't think I've ever seen a 2012 or later for sale. I suspect the sales numbers were absolutely dismal.

They're available fairly cheap these days, so probably good value, but a lot of the ones I've seen posted also note some problems with the electrics, so they probably don't have the bulletproof reliability of previous Hondas. In some ways, you could argue that the VFR1200 was the first real sign that Honda Motorcycles had started to really lose their way as a company, as the bike was supposed to be a flagship statement...
Buddy has one... he's an animal on it. 12 minute runs of the Dragon from Deal's Gap to the Overlook.

Mind you, he made a few minor tweaks to make it what it is.

The stock configuration absolutely neuters the bike under 6k (?) RPM in first or second gear. Makes it take off slowly and wallows a bit. He tied the 1-2 gear wire into the 3rd gear wire. The dash will never show gear 1 or 2 anymore, but the full power of the bike is unleashed. He put on a Bazzaz fuel management with auto-tune. The thing pulls SUPER hard now.

If I drag him on my RC8r from a stop, I will kick his ass every single time. BUT, if we do a roll on from mid range 2nd gear, the bikes are surprisingly close. The RC8r will still pull, but not as quickly as you'd think.

I believe he also replaced the front springs and valves for better handling.

@Mad Mike if that DL800 only had a cruise control....

Buddy has one... he's an animal on it. 12 minute runs of the Dragon from Deal's Gap to the Overlook.

Mind you, he made a few minor tweaks to make it what it is.

I think there's a really good motorcycle buried under there, and it sounds like your buddy has managed to dig most of it out. They're great value used, too, as the reputation is very bad. That said, it's still inexplicable that a bike that big, heavy and touring oriented can't reliably do 250 kms on a tank...

I think there's a really good motorcycle buried under there, and it sounds like your buddy has managed to dig most of it out. They're great value used, too, as the reputation is very bad. That said, it's still inexplicable that a bike that big, heavy and touring oriented can't reliably do 250 kms on a tank...
The bike is actually very good…
Buddy didn’t have the valve adjustment done at 24k km as prescribed as it’s ridiculously expensive with the VVT system Honda used.
He’s got over 50k km on it now and it’s strong as ever.

I do agree with the 250km on a tank thing though - they screwed that up for sure. It’s a running joke with our riding group that he will never ever pass a gas station without stopping to fill up, especially on our trips to the Dragon. Do the Cherohala Skyway one way (90km), fill up. Go back, fill up. It’s annoying and amusing at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom