The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 403 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

Was going to probably grab this if it lasted past the work day. Was posted last night. $4000 2012 Multistrada but it sold quick.

View attachment 68856
I went out and looked at the bike months ago. I mentioned this bike somewhere here on the forum. Seller had contacted me on a Ducati forum.

The bike was throwing DES codes, had 12 year old tires and the owner had JB welded (or something) either the coolant or oil drain bolt. I didn't want to take the risk the DES codes needed more than just a computer reset and ended up buying a 2014 in Quebec. If it just needs a reset, the bike would be a killer deal. Even if there was more to it than the reset, one could part it out easily for more than $4K. I know because I had to replace a few pieces of Multistrada plastic and they aren't cheap.

Owner was an older gentleman who said he didn't want to deal with Kijiji and Facebook idiots. That was more than 3 months ago.

I pointed @Relax to the seller, but last week he said he hadn't touched base.

He had a lot of extras. Termi exhaust + stock, full luggage set (still stored in the original boxes), Tuneboy ECU, spare set of (equally old) tires, BMW riding gear, Ducati rear stand (maybe front stand also?) plus some others. I wanted the low seat he had. He also had the stock.

Last edited:

2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200 $1200

e5183cec-a5cc-479b-b245-b3a47a54ba36

Rattle can will fix that. :) :) :)
Tough to recreate the glorious late-'70s metalflake they put on those bad boys with a rattle can! I mean, look at the gloriousness of this:

1721917450260.png

I remember when they came out, my girlfriend at the time had a brother who was building a custom KZ1000 Lawson replica. He was so p*ssed, because with all the cash and effort he'd put in, Kawasaki went and made essentially the same bike he could buy off the showroom floor for way less...

Tough to recreate the glorious late-'70s metalflake they put on those bad boys with a rattle can! I mean, look at the gloriousness of this:

View attachment 68947

I remember when they came out, my girlfriend at the time had a brother who was building a custom KZ1000 Lawson replica. He was so p*ssed, because with all the cash and effort he'd put in, Kawasaki went and made essentially the same bike he could buy off the showroom floor for way less...
Okay, a brush ?

Big Daddy's got ya

Reactions: TK4
I want these but can’t make it downtown today.

So if anybody is looking…

Or can pick up and I’ll pick them up during the week!

I went out and looked at the bike months ago. I mentioned this bike somewhere here on the forum. Seller had contacted me on a Ducati forum.

The bike was throwing DES codes, had 12 year old tires and the owner had JB welded (or something) either the coolant or oil drain bolt. I didn't want to take the risk the DES codes needed more than just a computer reset and ended up buying a 2014 in Quebec. If it just needs a reset, the bike would be a killer deal. Even if there was more to it than the reset, one could part it out easily for more than $4K. I know because I had to replace a few pieces of Multistrada plastic and they aren't cheap.

Owner was an older gentleman who said he didn't want to deal with Kijiji and Facebook idiots. That was more than 3 months ago.

I pointed @Relax to the seller, but last week he said he hadn't touched base.

He had a lot of extras. Termi exhaust + stock, full luggage set (still stored in the original boxes), Tuneboy ECU, spare set of (equally old) tires, BMW riding gear, Ducati rear stand (maybe front stand also?) plus some others. I wanted the low seat he had. He also had the stock.

Is this the same bike back up for sale for $9,000? I know the original ad said 2012 and this says 2010, but maybe the original was incorrect on year? It has the termi, and says it includes a lowered seat and luggage and that was bought from someone who had it stored. Really seems like the same bike.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 184928.png

Pretty sure it’s the same bike, years notwithstanding - mileage, equipment, description of owner down to description of luggage being in original boxes. Everything lines up with what I posted earlier. Bike was in Petrolia so not far from London. Seller told me it was a 2011.

To be fair the guy who purchased it did take a risk that the bike needed more than just reset of the ECU. I talked to three dealers or mechanics and they all said the errors could be nothing or could be a lot. Pretty sure I was the first guy he offered it to for $4000; I just didnt want to take the risk myself.

Also the original seller probably gave the guy a few things which it does not seem are included here: BMW riding suit, cool Arai Ducati helmet (past its usable date but a nice piece), TuneBoy ECU (assume he mounted the stock ECU to have the dealer reset), stock exhaust, Ducati rear stand, spare set of tires (also well past their due date, I think they were 8 or 10 years old). Listing claims there are new tires on it but unless I see the date codes I would be skeptical - the spare tires may have been mounted instead of being replaced with new. So there’s more to protect this guys’s profit margin.

Seller also told me he welded or JB welded the oil or coolant drain bolt because he stripped the threads. Wonder whether the current owner knows that as I don’t see it in the listing.

The Desmo service also needed to be done. Listing does not mention that, so I assume it wasn’t done, which would be maybe $2K?. Listing claims belt was replaced but I would want to see the service record.

Whether the risk he took and the work the new buyer put in it is worth $5000 is debatable; there are other newer 1200 Multistradas for about that price now on the market including three or four at the same dealer. But if someone buys it, then good for him. I have no doubt he will make a profit for sure. $5000 would have been way on the upper side of what I would have expected to put into it in the worst case, and I chose not to buy, so I think the current price is too rich.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom