The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 401 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

I completely agree with your first 2 paragraphs/sentences. Resale value is actually the first thing I think of when buying anything. I don't mind losing a little on depreciation, but I've somehow been able to sell almost every motorcycle I've owned over the past 40 years for at least what I paid for it, if not more. My cars have been the opposite, but they're more necessities than toys. And lately I've been driving them into the ground, so 100% depreciation in some cases, but at least not 100% of MSRP.

How is this possible?! You don't even look 40?! lol

Since I got back into riding after years away, I didn't realize how well some bikes retain value. Last 2 bikes I sold (this past month) were at about same price I bought them for.

I wouldn't necessarily focus on resale value when buying a bike, but it is now a factor for consideration. Decided against that bike, anyways, and found something else I'm about to pick up.

Since I got back into riding after years away, I didn't realize how well some bikes retain value. Last 2 bikes I sold (this past month) were at about same price I bought them for.

I wouldn't necessarily focus on resale value when buying a bike, but it is now a factor for consideration. Decided against that bike, anyways, and found something else I'm about to pick up.
which bikes were they? i sold my 2nd gen sv650 for what i paid for because everyone was selling it at a higher price at the beginning of the riding season.

which bikes were they? i sold my 2nd gen sv650 for what i paid for because everyone was selling it at a higher price at the beginning of the riding season.
In my experience I sold my Rebel 500 for $500 more than I bought it for, and my CB500X for more than I paid for it after 3 years and 10-15k more on the clock.

My Ducati on the other hand seems to be marked for no sale as I’m getting nothing but stupid low balls of 2-3k off the price.

In my experience I sold my Rebel 500 for $500 more than I bought it for, and my CB500X for more than I paid for it after 3 years and 10-15k more on the clock.

My Ducati on the other hand seems to be marked for no sale as I’m getting nothing but stupid low balls of 2-3k off the price.
It's the size of the market that would consider owning it, reduced by a percentage put off by the perceived hassle/cost of maintaining a euro bike.

I sometimes wonder if the sometimes rabid fandom that euro bikes have, as played out on internet forums isn't as much a curse as it is a blessing. I've found good (and plenty of bad) tech and how-to advice for my KTM's, but also plenty of mechanical failures presented as an EVERY bike issue, perceived design failures that look more like user-induced failures and on and on. Like most everybody else, I turn to information like these forums when making a purchase decision, and the negative stuff tends to get the most attention.

It's the size of the market that would consider owning it, reduced by a percentage put off by the perceived hassle/cost of maintaining a euro bike.

I sometimes wonder if the sometimes rabid fandom that euro bikes have, as played out on internet forums isn't as much a curse as it is a blessing. I've found good (and plenty of bad) tech and how-to advice for my KTM's, but also plenty of mechanical failures presented as an EVERY bike issue, perceived design failures that look more like user-induced failures and on and on. Like most everybody else, I turn to information like these forums when making a purchase decision, and the negative stuff tends to get the most attention.
Ya...I've had one or two people literally text me to say 'with that kind of mileage? Good luck with that! Won't ever sell!'

Helpful of course. But you're right. It is a fairly specific bike, unlike a VStrom or Honda or even Monster.

Ah well. It's a good bike. No harm done if I keep it another season.

Ya...I've had one or two people literally text me to say 'with that kind of mileage? Good luck with that! Won't ever sell!'

Helpful of course. But you're right. It is a fairly specific bike, unlike a VStrom or Honda or even Monster.

Ah well. It's a good bike. No harm done if I keep it another season.
The way I look at it is that you bought it, so there will be someone else out there who'll want it too.

I sometimes wonder if the sometimes rabid fandom that euro bikes have, as played out on internet forums isn't as much a curse as it is a blessing. I've found good (and plenty of bad) tech and how-to advice for my KTM's, but also plenty of mechanical failures presented as an EVERY bike issue, perceived design failures that look more like user-induced failures and on and on.
Yup, a lot of the issues I've had on various bikes I've owned (Euro or not) have been owner inflicted.
Free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

The way I look at it is that you bought it, so there will be someone else out there who'll want it too.

I got those emails as well when selling my Hyper with 30,000 kms, yet I was still able to sell it for what I paid when the right buyer finally came along. It helped that I got it $3000 cheaper than the next more expensive Hyper at the time (mid Feb). It took half a season, but I priced it competitively compared to the other listed Hypers in terms of mileage and condition (as anyone should), and was in no rush. Hopefully @mimico_polak isn't either.

I got those emails as well when selling my Hyper with 30,000 kms, yet I was still able to sell it for what I paid when the right buyer finally came along. It helped that I got it $3000 cheaper than the next more expensive Hyper at the time (mid Feb). It took half a season, but I priced it competitively compared to the other listed Hypers in terms of mileage and condition (as anyone should), and was in no rush. Hopefully @mimico_polak isn't either.
I'm in no rush, and I feel that my price is fair ($8500 for a 2019 Icon with 23000kms and a ton of options - which don't add much I know).

But compared to the older gen prices...I feel it's fair. Maybe? Maybe not. I haven't made the 'ridiculously overpriced' thread yet.

I'm in no rush, and I feel that my price is fair ($8500 for a 2019 Icon with 23000kms and a ton of options - which don't add much I know).

But compared to the older gen prices...I feel it's fair. Maybe? Maybe not. I haven't made the 'ridiculously overpriced' thread yet.

Your best bet is to list it as a stock bike and the additional parts/accessories separately. May take longer to get rid of everything, but you'll get the bike sold sooner.

Your best bet is to list it as a stock bike and the additional parts/accessories separately. May take longer to get rid of everything, but you'll get the bike sold sooner.
True. A few others here have said the same thing.

The parts currently on the bike are: spoked wheels, Mustang seat, Power Commander V5, dart windshield, and the luggage rack.

Outside of the windscreen and seat...hard to take off the other ones.

Oh, I thought it came with more stuff plus the OEM parts.
I've got the stock wheels also, and a RENTHALL handlebar which aren't installed.

I've got the stock seat, and exhaust also.

I've got the stock wheels also, and a RENTHALL handlebar which aren't installed.

I've got the stock seat, and exhaust also.
As a chronic shopper, and infrequent buyer it looks to me that stuff isn't selling very quickly this season. I've favorited a bunch of bikes on kijiji and they're just not moving, many have had the price lowered with some significantly lowered and other ads get edited or changed to get them higher up in the listing. These listings were ones that I looked at and thought them to be pretty reasonable deals, though for some admittedly niche bikes.

As a chronic shopper, and infrequent buyer it looks to me that stuff isn't selling very quickly this season. I've favorited a bunch of bikes on kijiji and they're just not moving, many have had the price lowered with some significantly lowered and other ads get edited or changed to get them higher up in the listing. These listings were ones that I looked at and thought them to be pretty reasonable deals, though for some admittedly niche bikes.
Very much this. I keep an eye out for a few used models, and some have dropped massively (Africa Twin AS's were hard to find for less than $20k just last year, now they're sitting at $15-16k for weeks and weeks) or bikes are just sitting for similar asking (low mile last-gen Tuonos around the $11-12k mark sitting for 8+ weeks).

Credit crunch is real, plus many seem to be holding out for Covid pricing when depreciation stopped being a thing for a while, but it seems to be back with a vengeance.

Back
Top Bottom