The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 82 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

Sounds like you got the same treatment as me when I was admiring a Longines Big Eye. He kept lowering and lowering the price and wouldn't let me walk out to the point where the price was low enough to have me seriously tempted. I checked after, and his price was lower than anyone online by about $200, including the grey market shops like Jomashop and Ashford, and was getting close to what used ones are selling for on places like WatchUSeek...

I’m going to guess the places like “Moments” and the other Burlington shop “ Ocean fine Jewelry “ which are mid level watch shops are having a tough time making rent . The market is getting very tight to sell this stuff , online shops like Chrono24 are in financial trouble . The party is slowing down .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I’m going to guess the places like “Moments” and the other Burlington shop “ Ocean fine Jewelry “ which are mid level watch shops are having a tough time making rent . The market is getting very tight to sell this stuff , online shops like Chrono24 are in financial trouble . The party is slowing down .
Absolutely agree. The market for all discretionary spending items has gotten very tight. Any used bikes for sale that are even verging on Covid pricing are just sitting, often for months. Used guitars are similar. If you want to move something, you have to offer a deal. For those small jewellery shops, unless you have enough capital to carry inventory for a while, things could get super dicey.

That said, a buddy and I are heading to the Toronto Timepiece Show later today, and if the emails they are sending out to arrive early and expect lines (along with folks posting on used watch groups looking for tickets) are any indication, there is still demand out there. Just maybe more for the "watch nerd approved" products and less so for some of the more mass market stuff...

I didn't take many pics, but man, was it packed. I got an email suggesting you show up early if you wanted to get in when they opened at 11, as there was a capacity limit at the venue in the Courtyard Marriott on Yonge. We got there at about 10:30, and there was easily 50 people in front of us. By the time they opened the doors at 11, the line was around the block. We left at around 12:30, went for lunch, and by the time we got back to the truck around 1:30, there was still a long line to get in.

Aside from Oris, the show was 95% microbrands of varying sizes, each with a story and twist on a theme. Vario, Farer, Farr+Swit, Laco, etc. It was really cool to actually hold and try some of these on, as they mostly don't have storefronts, so unless you try one used, you won't know what they're really like unless you buy one.

Most were slightly disappointing, especially the Canadian brands like Whitby and Locke & King that I'd hoped to like. Not badly made, necessarily, just not for me. Farer was nice but not my style with the colours, similar for Vario and their more flashy designs. Lots of brands used colour and unusual case design to differentiate themselves, but that's not to my taste.

A few did stand out to me, though:

- Marathon: Not exactly an unknown brand, but their midrange divers have a real toolwatch quality that I dig. The bezels are absolutely massive, but it kind of makes sense on the watch. I expected to be disappointed, but I wasn't.
- Baltic: I now have an Aquascaphe, so I know how much nicer their watches are than their prices suggest. Just incredible cases and dials, and every single model showed a level of design acumen that most microbrands struggle to hit. I could see myself buying literally everything they make with the exception of the pyramid marker one. Sector and salmon dials were a particular highlight. I can also attest that their customer support is second to none.
- Heron: small Canadian brand who only make two models, but they're very nice and much more balanced than many more established companies. They made a big deal about their hardened stainless and were almost pushy about making you try to scratch them.
- Jack Mason: I want to hate this company, from the Texas branding, the ex-fashion watch business, the terrible, forgettable name. But they made some stunning watches, with the linen dial dresser being a real highlight.
- Stella: NY based company that makes some interesting dressers. Some were a bit too colourful for my taste, but the white and green dials were absolutely stunning.
- Fears: nice broad range of product, tastefully executed. Well detailed.
- Christopher Ward: I get what all the watch blog hype is about now. I have always kind of looked past them because the name and logo feels very Daniel-Wellington-mall-watch. But these watches stand easily with anything in the Swatch group right up to the Omega level. I would go as far as saying that they are the best value mechanical watch brand available, and that includes Citizen and Seiko. For barely over $1600 CAD, the Twelve is so much nicer than a PRX that it's not in the same league. They gave me a $250 off coupon, so if anyone is eyeing one and wants the code, send me a message. It's only good for a couple days, though.

Anyway, well worth going if you like microbrands. Not great if you're looking for the latest from Tudor or Omega, but that's what jewellery stores are for, I guess...

It’s not much of a review , read some specs , make some fun of the concept , call the design sad . I actually expect better from him as a watch guy . It’s 1 notch below a Steiner that you bought off a travel magazine in flight with a set of never dull steak knives tossed in .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

It’s not much of a review

That makes sense, as there's nothing to review. As of now it's vapourware with particularly bad renders and a generic spec list. It's gonna take some time for whatever "manufacturer" the company that's fronting it is using to come up with production versions. Remember, no one has received Trump sneakers.......yet.

"Flying tourbillion? You want the watch to have one or two of them?".

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005900853544.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller.6.7538O7DNO7DNnE&gps-id=pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.40050.354490.0&scm_id=1007.40050.354490.0&scm-url=1007.40050.354490.0&pvid=f7bbc953-33ae-47bf-bd33-ad73d87fe929&_t=gps-id:pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.40050.354490.0,pvid:f7bbc953-33ae-47bf-bd33-ad73d87fe929,tpp_buckets:668#2846#8114#1999&pdp_npi=4@dis!CAD!1204.59!445.69!!!871.25!322.36!@210318c317276939090308993e2945!12000039947180990!rec!CA!2341284818!XZ&utparam-url=scene:pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller|query_from:

Last edited:
It’s not much of a review , read some specs , make some fun of the concept , call the design sad . I actually expect better from him as a watch guy . It’s 1 notch below a Steiner that you bought off a travel magazine in flight with a set of never dull steak knives tossed in .

With the exception of a basic watch, everything else is just fashion jewelry.

Like most lux fashion items (furs, handbags, spirits, and even some motorcycles), the premium in price is mostly related to the exclusivity premium for membership into the club.

I won’t argue against that . I would say I can take my 10yr old Omega , or my 50yr old Tudor in and it can be serviced . So much lux fashion is disposable and the Donald watch fits that bill.

I won’t argue against that . I would say I can take my 10yr old Omega , or my 50yr old Tudor in and it can be serviced . So much lux fashion is disposable and the Donald watch fits that bill.

Anything can be serviced if you have the time/ money. Thing is who’s going to pay $500 to fix a TV that you can buy new for $299.

I won’t argue against that . I would say I can take my 10yr old Omega , or my 50yr old Tudor in and it can be serviced ....
Would that service cost more or less than a new Casio or Timex watch?

Would that service cost more or less than a new Casio or Timex watch?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom