The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 80 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

AFAIK the fad has faded and there is no scarcity at retail. Still a high price retail.

I think there was a couple more "special" additions.

IIRC there was a _____ Ocean on the Moon Blancpain 50 Swaththoms release. Maybe another the ocean just south-west of this ocean on this watch one.

Only issue is that as someone who drives with the arms hanging out and it's full out GTA 5 out there these days, hopefully some jackass don't mistake it for an AP and cut my hand off :).
Don't worry, if people think it's an AP, they'll also assume it's a replica.

Was at a construction industry get-together with a fellow watch nerd recently, and saw a few Panerais, stacks of Breitlings, a couple subs, and a few AP's. Naturally, we assumed the AP's were fakes, which then led to the thought that it would really suck to drop that much cash on something, only for everyone to assume it was a fake...

Don't worry, if people think it's an AP, they'll also assume it's a replica.

Was at a construction industry get-together with a fellow watch nerd recently, and saw a few Panerais, stacks of Breitlings, a couple subs, and a few AP's. Naturally, we assumed the AP's were fakes, which then led to the thought that it would really suck to drop that much cash on something, only for everyone to assume it was a fake...
that's why you got to get one of these and hang it around your neck son...
1726686419014.png1726686419014.png

Eldest has their communion next year and I'm starting to think up of gifts. The SWATCH series seemed like a decent option, but I'm sure there are other nice timepieces in the <$500 zone.

Although as Polaks...a gold chain is most likely. But I'd like to get him something more...functional and that can be kept for many years.

Eldest has their communion next year and I'm starting to think up of gifts. The SWATCH series seemed like a decent option, but I'm sure there are other nice timepieces in the <$500 zone.

Although as Polaks...a gold chain is most likely. But I'd like to get him something more...functional and that can be kept for many years.
As a fellow Catholic, get him the gold chain man. You never know when the war is gonna break out. There are some good options for the sub 100 that will make it a good gift along with the chain.

I wouldn't personally buy a Swatch variant of whatever as a keepsake gift, as those watches are throwaway and aren't designed to be repaired. If I was looking in that price range for a keepsake, I'd be looking at a decent Seiko or Citizen auto, as the movements are so ubiquitous that you'll always be able to find replacements to keep it running for a lifetime.

That said, I bought my son a Mr Jones watch for his uni grad, mostly because I know his tastes and he likes oddball stuff. It has a Seagull movement, so not guaranteed to always be available, but it should last a good long time. Here's the one I got him:

1726709649216.png

(It's platinum gilt on the underside of the crystal, and in typical Mr Jones style, you need an instruction booklet to tell the time. It's actually a flip hour number in the little circle just to the right of 12 in the tree branches, and then the minutes are shown by the number and colour of stars and moon that spin by the window on the right where it's blue. It's actually a stunning piece in person with the way light plays on the ridges of the gilding, and I'm actually a bit jealous he has it.)

For more traditional watches in that price range, there's a pretty decent list from Cap'n Turtleneck here:

The 48 Best Automatic Watches Under $500

If you want to avoid Seiko/Citizen ubiquity, my personal picks off that list would be the Marathon for something durable and go-anywhere and the Baltic sector dial for a dresser. Both are relatively small, too, so he can wear them now and wear them as he grows up...

I was wondering if some of the more knowledgeable members here can offer their advice. I'm just starting out with my watch collection and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Henry Archer Watches. Them seem a good fit for my wrist size, Myota movement. The watch I am interested in would be a good all around type watch e.g dress , office work ....

Attachments

• nordso-optic-white-trinity-grey_00003_dd361b42-2f07-4dd9-88b8-087b36eaf36a_1800x1800.jpg
    nordso-optic-white-trinity-grey_00003_dd361b42-2f07-4dd9-88b8-087b36eaf36a_1800x1800.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 6
I was wondering if some of the more knowledgeable members here can offer their advice. I'm just starting out with my watch collection and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Henry Archer Watches. Them seem a good fit for my wrist size, Myota movement. The watch I am interested in would be a good all around type watch e.g dress , office work ....
If you like them, they seem ok. I suspect that they, like all microbrands would be very tough to sell if you decide to move on. Consider the money you pay to buy it as sunk cost.

If you like them, they seem ok. I suspect that they, like all microbrands would be very tough to sell if you decide to move on. Consider the money you pay to buy it as sunk cost.
Thanks . I'm not looking at it from an investment perspective. The cost is reasonable if I can get good use out of it.

Decent microbrand, if you like the look, then go for it. Make sure you hunt around with Google searches for pricing to make sure you're paying the lowest rate. Some brands massively inflate their sticker price, but you can find them elsewhere at a significant discount, though that doesn't seem to be a factor with these.

Ultimately, almost all microbrands are an exercise in design and supply chain management (thanks, This Watch, That Watch guy for this lesson!), as very few actually produce anything in-house, and those that do charge a lot of money. The best microbrands (Christopher Ward, Baltic, Monta, Echo/Neutra, Farer, Maen, Lorier, etc. etc.) are successful because they produce watches with a coherent design language, have sourced the appropriate suppliers for various parts that offer consistent QC, and have found the right balance of where to put the cost of manufacture to maximise bang-for-buck. They will mostly make a fuss about where they're based, but the truth is they could be in Antarctica for all it matters.

The reality is that almost all of these watches contain mostly Asian-produced parts, likely Chinese, contracted to supply as needed. There's lot of talk that even venerable so-called Swiss brands push the absolute limit of the 'Swiss made' designation and import far more from China than they want you to know about. In the end, though, it doesn't really matter. If the movement is accurate, looks good, and is reliable, then it is mostly immaterial what country produces a particular cog or gear.

Unless you get lucky with a limited edition that appreciates, or are a brand that produces very low volumes with long lead times (like anOrdain), almost no brand does anything but massively depreciate if you buy new these days. Rolex still hold value better than most, but the luxury watch market has absolutely tanked in the past year plus, and unless it's a truly classic or limited model, even they'll take a hit as well. This is as true for Omega as it is for Citizen. A buddy is looking at moving on an Aqua Terra he bought a couple years ago, and he's looking at >50% depreciation in that time. Losing four plus grand in two years is depreciation only matched by cars...

It's the main reason I mostly buy used now. Let someone else take the hit. With all the chopping and changing I do to the collection, it hurts a lot less to break even on a swap than it does to lose half the purchase price in a few years...

Another Miyota powered (for the automatics) microbrand and there is nothing wrong with that, if you like the style and value. Looks like you may be able to save a few bucks buying in the US if you can avoid duty. Like @GreyGhost noted, consider it a sunk cost or what I would call a terminal purchase as resale will not bring any value back to you. They say "Designed in Denmark" which to me likely means made in China (if that matters to you) but I could not see a true COO in my quick search, didn;t dive too deeply.

Instead of anglicizing the name Henrik Schødt or even just Schødt would have been cooler to me but I get market wise why they did it.
One caution for anyone starting out. Resist buying too many early, as time goes on and if your taste moves more upscale they will just sit in a box. So be picky... I likely have 20 decent entry watches that see no wrist time... To be fair I got enjoyment and therefore value out of them but it still kind of makes me sad.

For resale (compared to new), most well known brands--not all (at any place of the spectrum, not just luxury) in decent shape I usually expect to get 1/3 to 1/2 selling used even years on if it is in good shape and not an odd undesirable model. But 1/2 could be the day after you bought it and also five years on. A used Timex in good nick I bet falls into this range (closer to 1/3) depending on the model. Most unknown/micro brands unless they develop a following or become big time after a few years, I would be prepared for 10% five years on and they may be hard to sell.

There are exceptions. Some go up in value due to mostly fake scarcity. Some models become collectible. Some special models may go up but most actually drop even more as they were new sold at a premium to the brand's norm. Some well known brands are also known to drop a lot... Regardless one should never consider a watch an investment but resale does allows you to move on instead of parking it in a box.

To be fair and in comparison, I just bought a Garmin 265 for workouts, in five years I expect it to be worth zero.

At one time I needed to own all the watches . One from every major brand . Since I wear about 3 in rotation, the rest are being handed to the kids . They won’t wear them either, but I feel better .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

At one time I needed to own all the watches . One from every major brand . Since I wear about 3 in rotation, the rest are being handed to the kids . They won’t wear them either, but I feel better .

How far did you go down the rabbit hole? Omega/Rolex/Breitling or did you go to AP/PP/ALS (or beyond)?

Lofty goal and I salute you for it. I can't see myself with a Tudor no
I wouldn't personally buy a Swatch variant of whatever as a keepsake gift, as those watches are throwaway and aren't designed to be repaired. If I was looking in that price range for a keepsake, I'd be looking at a decent Seiko or Citizen auto, as the movements are so ubiquitous that you'll always be able to find replacements to keep it running for a lifetime.

That said, I bought my son a Mr Jones watch for his uni grad, mostly because I know his tastes and he likes oddball stuff. It has a Seagull movement, so not guaranteed to always be available, but it should last a good long time. Here's the one I got him:

View attachment 69826

(It's platinum gilt on the underside of the crystal, and in typical Mr Jones style, you need an instruction booklet to tell the time. It's actually a flip hour number in the little circle just to the right of 12 in the tree branches, and then the minutes are shown by the number and colour of stars and moon that spin by the window on the right where it's blue. It's actually a stunning piece in person with the way light plays on the ridges of the gilding, and I'm actually a bit jealous he has it.)

For more traditional watches in that price range, there's a pretty decent list from Cap'n Turtleneck here:

The 48 Best Automatic Watches Under $500

If you want to avoid Seiko/Citizen ubiquity, my personal picks off that list would be the Marathon for something durable and go-anywhere and the Baltic sector dial for a dresser. Both are relatively small, too, so he can wear them now and wear them as he grows up...
Nice! I've been eying Mr Jones watches for a while now, might have to take the plunge soon.

By way of comparison for depreciation:

- Citizen Fugu, bought new at Citizen outlet store for $475 + tax = $536.75 (a price widely available online). Sold for equivalent of $375 this year, price based on multiple sold examples on WatchUSeek, eBay, etc. Depreciation of 30%. If I'd paid MSRP, though, it would have hurt a lot more.
- Omega Aqua Terra bought new at Mariani Jewellers two years ago, $8,500, negotiated taxes in. Sold prices for similar in places like WatchUSeek seem to be about $4000 USD, or ~$5,274 CAD, less cost of shipping and insurance. Depreciation of 38%+. Unfortunately for the owner, he's scratched the case and bracelet in a few spots as it was a daily wearer, so true resale is probably closer to $4,000-4,500 CAD...

(I've also sold a Laco Aachen flieger for basically the same as I paid, but I spotted a deal on the ridiculous WatchGang wheel (no deals spotted since, sadly), so it doesn't really count. Similarly for the Seiko I just sold, I managed to find it on massive discount on an Asian dealer website, so the paid price was unusually low...)

One caution for anyone starting out. Resist buying too many early, as time goes on and if your taste moves more upscale they will just sit in a box. So be picky... I likely have 20 decent entry watches that see no wrist time... To be fair I got enjoyment and therefore value out of them but it still kind of makes me sad.
I mostly agree, except sometimes you don't know what you like until you own and wear (or don't wear) different styles.

To compare to the above, I spent less than half as much as my buddy who bought that Aqua Terra in a similar timeframe. I now have eight watches (with a one-out-one-in policy), all of which I wear, and have rotated out the ones I didn't for a marginal loss. In the meantime, he agonised over which watch he really wanted for months, and settled on the Aqua Terra. But after owning for a while, he decided he really wanted a Speedy instead. Since buying the Speedy, he now never wears the AT and has to decide whether to keep a dust collector or take a big hit.

I find some watches you click with, some you don't. The first phase of this is actually holding one (which is why buying online is so risky), and the second is owning it for a bit after the new watch honeymoon is over...

How far did you go down the rabbit hole? Omega/Rolex/Breitling or did you go to AP/PP/ALS (or beyond)?

Omega seamaster , a speedmaster , Tudor submariner , several Rotary, couple Panerai , a Brietling, then just 20 assorted smaller brands .
I wear a Squale, and the seamaster most .
AP/ALs were ( and still are ) outside my pay grade.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom