The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 79 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

Traded my surplus Citizen Fugu diver for a Unimatic U1-FD this week. I am a sucker for Italian watches (though there aren't many, especially since Squale moved to Switerland), and really like the reductionist/brutalist aesthetic of their watches. 300m of WR, not a polished or shiny surface anywhere (even the dial, bezel and hands are matte), and the biggest crown I've ever used.

Like Baltic, Unimatic puts the cost into the case and dial, relying on cheap and cheerful movements from Citizen and Seiko. In this one it's an NH35, which means the case is a bit thicker than I'd like, but it's otherwise perfect. Very comfortable to wear, and the otherwise basic milled-clasp bracelet has a quick-adjust, which is always a bonus. I'm debating whether to put on a canvas or sailcloth strap in black with white stitching, though...

Unimatic U1 FD.jpg

You know you're in a lower category when you're sponsored by Invicta.

BAR_GP_SR-2124%20copy1_768.webp

You know you're in a lower category when you're sponsored by Invicta.

BAR_GP_SR-2124%20copy1_768.webp
Gives the motivating slogan, "Never Give Up" a whole new meaning...

The people who buy Invicta's when they're poor are the ones buying Richard Mille if they become rich.

I was competing with a buddy via text last night to find the ugliest Invicta watch, and in a very deep field, this was deemed to be the winner:

1725122863651.png

The people who buy Invicta's when they're poor are the ones buying Richard Mille if they become rich.

I was competing with a buddy via text last night to find the ugliest Invicta watch, and in a very deep field, this was deemed to be the winner:

View attachment 69579
It's a reserve too. Fake four figure pricing instead of fake three figure pricing.

My parents bought me an invicta years ago. I can use it as a weapon or hammer in a pinch. Damn is it ever heavy.

TBH the Invicta Pro Diver Submariner homage doesn't look bad and gets good reviews for what it is (a cheap Chinese dive watch). If someone held a gun to your head and said "you're buying an Invicta or else", that's the one you would buy.

7fdd4e81-19d2-4c64-a367-2b1a47bf5811.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

View attachment 69579

YEFlobQ.png

TBH the Invicta Pro Diver Submariner homage doesn't look bad and gets good reviews for what it is (a cheap Chinese dive watch). If someone held a gun to your head and said "you're buying an Invicta or else", that's the one you would buy.

7fdd4e81-19d2-4c64-a367-2b1a47bf5811.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
Apparently the hilariously named Sugess Seaman is the best of the Chinese Sub copies, though I'm sure there's not much in it.

(I get a kick out of the marketing page filler there that calls the most ripped off watch of all time 'fashionable state of the art credentials'.)

Got this guy for free from a buddy at work. Nothing fancy but I really like it.

1726143210371.png

This should be an easy one, but need to replace a watch band on another watch I have. Going from a metal one to either rubber / leather.

Recommendations for a shop for that? Or just plain ol Amazon will do the trick? I measured the width of the band (19.7mm) and the opening (20.5mm) so it appears 20mm will do the trick.

View attachment 69713

This should be an easy one, but need to replace a watch band on another watch I have. Going from a metal one to either rubber / leather.

Recommendations for a shop for that? Or just plain ol Amazon will do the trick? I measured the width of the band (19.7mm) and the opening (20.5mm) so it appears 20mm will do the trick.
Don't go to a shop for a band swap on a relatively inexpensive watch. I have had good luck with Barton bands on Amazon. If you're feeling baller, see if @Rob MacLennan will make you one.

Don't go to a shop for a band swap on a relatively inexpensive watch. I have had good luck with Barton bands on Amazon. If you're feeling baller, see if @Rob MacLennan will make you one.
Thanks. The strap in the photo above is from Barton and feels good but it’s a 22.

View attachment 69713

Barton are solid mid-tier straps (with watches, like hifi, there's always a higher tier). I've also bought from StrapsCo, who sell low- to mid-tier as well. Nothing they sell will blow you away with luxurious quality, but the prices are fair (especially if you take advantage of the buy-two-get-one-free offer) and the shipping is cheap. It'll help to get a spring bar tool if you don't have one, and it's always a good idea to pop a bit of masking tape on the lugs, as those tiny forks on the tool will scratch a case more easily than you think.

I am not married to any brand but Banda has worked well for me in the past, value vs quality.

Often I just find something I like the look of on Amazon and just cruse through the reviews. Specially on cheaper time pieces. I am also partial to NATO straps for comfort.

If you want to go rubber and want the thicker/flush curved end "Omega" style these are cheap, ok quality, and comfortable.

71hpt0GXHpL._AC_SX679_.jpg

In the ongoing evolution of my collection to 80% divers, I sold a vintage-styled Seiko Recraft UFO and picked up a Baltic Aquascaphe in gilt blue. I've been hunting for one for a while, and finally found one in near-mint condition being sold for a fair price on Kijiji. After some weird haggling (his first price drop was $5), we came to a deal. Anyway, here she is:

PXL_20240918_031020506.jpg

One thing I'll say for Baltic, 100% of the cost goes into the dial and case. It's got a basic but solid Miyota movement, it's high-beat for a nice smooth sweep but has a short power reserve at 42 hrs. The photo above doesn't do the dial justice, as it's a very deep sunburst blue with sandwich flag indices at the 3, 6 and 9 that add a huge amount of depth and are my favourite design detail. Bezel action is up there with watches costing five times as much, too. All in all, it's a new favourite and one I'm very relieved lived up to my high expectations...

That's the problem with high beat movements. Nice steady sweep, but the only way to get more than 40+ hrs out of them is to go double barrel.
That's one of the reasons I love the L888.5 movement in my Longines. It's 3.5 Hz, so almost as smooth as a 4 Hz, but gets 72 hrs of reserve. People bag on them for being rebadged ETA's (as opposed to something in-house), but the thing is well within COSC accuracy, too, at ~+3/day.

Still, I prefer a 4 Hz over a 3, as I'm always swapping watches and 42 hours or 72 hours makes little difference if it needs to be set after a week anyway...

Wanted a blinged out gold watch this summer and looked at all the high price Swiss options and they're lovely of course. But, couldn't justify the purchase with where the world is at these days and decided to get me something reasonable. gShock.jpg

Still have my f91ws since high school days along with few others. Great quality for sure and feels rather heavy, but the quality is great and the bling factor is 100%bling bling. Have got so many more compliments compared to the Omega/Tags/Rolex that I wear.

Only issue is that as someone who drives with the arms hanging out and it's full out GTA 5 out there these days, hopefully some jackass don't mistake it for an AP and cut my hand off :).

Back
Top Bottom