The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 78 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

Frick, it was horrible. He kept dropping the price on the Longines to where I had to almost physically grab myself by the neck and drag myself out of there. We're looking at picking up a travel trailer, so more watches aren't in the cards right now.

Also saw that Mariani (currently of Oakville) is putting in a shop there. It's definitely a higher-end approach to Moments, so could see a lot of buyers trying stuff on at Mariani with all the stock they carry, then heading over to Moments to work out a deal...

Depending on what you're looking at, walk down to Hudson's Bay. The Mil Spec Bulova is on sale for $300 less, and the Devil Diver for $190 less.

Interested to see what Mariani does in there. They've doubled down on pushing TAG. Maybe they know something.

Mariani and moments carry different brands so cross store barter may be not in the cards . I bought an Omega speedmaster pro from Mariani and have had some dealings with them in Oakville. Good guys in my opinion. Moments has a flea market feel when your looking at pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Moments carries the low- and mid-tier Swatch group brands, like Hamilton, Oris, Rado, Longines, etc. Selection is limited as well, but I will say the Longines Big Eye black dial, which is a $3800 watch MSRP, was offered at over $550 less than Mariani will ever go. Flea market or no, I'd rather have the $550 in my pocket! Even JomaShop sells for more than what they offered on the grey market, sans warranty.

(It's also a decent seller and a classic model that hasn't changed much, so they'd be under no rush to move it, not like some awful colour way or something they want to shift).

Don’t know the cost but i know the sentimental value as my kids gave it for Father’s Day View attachment 69162
I just inherited my dad’s collection, a bushel basket of Timex watches from 1960 to 2000 + new in box 1980 Rolex, he traded that for a job.

Gonna be fun going through some old memories. Most of the watches are headed to the Timex museum in Middlebury CT.

Most of the watches are headed to the Timex museum in Middlebury CT.

The museum is in Waterbury. They have a big new(ish) building/warehouse on the outskirts of town in Middlebury.

Last edited:
The museum is in Waterbury. They have a big new(ish) HQ on the outskirts of town in Middlebury.

That newish beautiful 90+ acre HQ campus got sold last year, operations were moved to a boring industrial complex. When they built that campus in the late 90's they had almost 450 people working in Canada and the US. The owner liked the open space and having his on-site heliport. There are about 120 people in Canada and the USA today.

When his kids inherited control of the company, they struggled for a while. I think they have found their footing and are back to making money -- but nothing like the 1960-2000 era when they cranked out a million watches a week.

I just inherited my dad’s collection, a bushel basket of Timex watches from 1960 to 2000 + new in box 1980 Rolex, he traded that for a job.

Gonna be fun going through some old memories. Most of the watches are headed to the Timex museum in Middlebury CT.
Are you going to post any pictures of some of the iconic pieces and unique ones before they get "museumed"?

Are you going to post any pictures of some of the iconic pieces and unique ones before they get "museumed"?
Yes, I will take some pics. The last time I went thru them with my dad, we sent a pile back to the museum, he had few CRT screen reading watches (done with Microsoft), some early Indiglo's, a limited edition 300m Nautica branded dive watch, and some early Garmin GPS watches that never hit the market.

I think most of the stuff I'll be going through is run-of-the-mill from the quartz era 1975-2000, but there maybe a surprise or two.

Yes, I will take some pics. The last time I went thru them with my dad, we sent a pile back to the museum, he had few CRT screen reading watches (done with Microsoft), some early Indiglo's, a limited edition 300m Nautica branded dive watch, and some early Garmin GPS watches that never hit the market.

I think most of the stuff I'll be going through is run-of-the-mill from the quartz era 1975-2000, but there maybe a surprise or two.
Wow sounds like such a cool collection. Can't wait. Thanks!

Most of Casio's MrG, Master (Mudman, Mudmasters, Gravitymasters), and Trekking ranges are all in excess of 50mm. I'm surprised Nico didn't mention them. He loves Casio.

For reference - 7 3/8"

AP1GczMka1yFE6JWnZASD2HiTjOFvw_O9QWKDL0zCUFGMXAgT4s87Mxb-X2c5K6iwq19AUzYDEqMXjkpp9QpYvExQZFaDgkxEsLo0eZ2UDFk4rKhdUViqmEplfiToGk8pe9utHBG10ChTONpHdvwiCA0RuCg=w799-h599-s-no-gm

Last edited:
I just can’t get into those watches . Even if I had Besos money , I’d be hard pressed to own a Richard Mille

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Even if the money didn't matter to me, I wouldn't buy one as I don't want to encourage that behaviour. I want to support people/companies that make beautiful things not expensive methed out monstrosities.

Edit:
On that note and not watch related, I'd have a standing order at Koenigsegg for one of everything. They do awesome stuff and aren't tied down by what everyone else does. I want him to keep innovating until he dies.

Last edited:
I just can’t get into those watches . Even if I had Besos money , I’d be hard pressed to own a Richard Mille

I would never own one. Ostentatious is the word that come to mind, with some screams of LOOK AT ME!!! in the background. Always seems to be canoes that wear them (car wrap buddy in Georgetown that got robbed (allegedly) comes to mind).

That said, I do admire the out there tech that he comes up with. The cantilever cable suspended movement he designed is cool.

richardmille_5494206.jpg

richardmille_5494204.jpg

Like Hublot, the absolute whole point of a Richard Mille is the cost. Absolutely everyone who buys one is buying specifically to show how much disposable cash they have. The quality of the item is far, far secondary in importance to the visibility of the item, which is why they're so gaudy.

(Oh, and I beg to differ about that cable suspension. As someone who worked with tensioned cables, both on bridges and in concrete, for a lot of years, that's just bad engineering. It's needlessly complex, has added about a dozen unnecessary failure points, and has obviously been manufactured in a CNC machine by someone who has no idea what cables do best.)

If I wanted to spend large house money on an needlessly complex movement that's hard to read and needs regular servicing, I'd be looking at something like a Gruebel Forsey Hand Made. At least the level of true craftsmanship is top tier, even if the watches are tough to look at...

As for Nico Leonard, he gives me a migraine. If you want a watch YouTuber who doesn't need to resort to shouting like an over-sugared toddler, (and who isn't a watch salesman!), check out This Watch, That Watch. He always impresses me with his sober and clear-eyed takes on watches and the whole weird business surrounding them, while still being an unabashed watch nerd and accepting that the purchase decision is rarely purely rational:

This Watch, That Watch

I would never own one. Ostentatious is the word that come to mind, with some screams of LOOK AT ME!!! in the background. Always seems to be canoes that wear them (car wrap buddy in Georgetown that got robbed (allegedly) comes to mind).

That said, I do admire the out there tech that he comes up with. The cantilever cable suspended movement he designed is cool.

:ROFLMAO: Didn't take long for car wrap dude to go back to his old ways. Just yesterday posted his wrist with a RM on, giving a motivational talk on how we can accomplish our first million $$. Guess the thieves missed a few things.

One of Steve's movie worn Monacos is going on the block in December.

Back
Top Bottom