The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 84 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

We at least do rolling starts , the bang for the last five is the start of your five . Those clubs running one minute buffers need a whack upside the melon . It’s a weeknight and your running 3-4 starts so last fleet is 20-25 mins after the first? As the wind dies into the evening.
I have a Velocitec timer screen on the mast , that way everyone on the boat knows the start time . As long as the dufus on our commitee boat stays on time ….
I have a couple older analog race timer watches with 15-10-5 run downs . They are fun nostalgia but useless on a boat . For digny races I use a Timex Ironman . Yes , I own a Timex , it’s $29.00 so perfect to bash around .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Tom Brady has some stuff coming up for auction. Can't find the full list (27). I like the Top Gun. Someone has kinda soured me on IWC, though.

We at least do rolling starts , the bang for the last five is the start of your five . Those clubs running one minute buffers need a whack upside the melon . It’s a weeknight and your running 3-4 starts so last fleet is 20-25 mins after the first? As the wind dies into the evening.
I have a Velocitec timer screen on the mast , that way everyone on the boat knows the start time . As long as the dufus on our commitee boat stays on time ….
I have a couple older analog race timer watches with 15-10-5 run downs . They are fun nostalgia but useless on a boat . For digny races I use a Timex Ironman . Yes , I own a Timex , it’s $29.00 so perfect to bash around .
Yep. Also means the fast boats in our start have a huge advantage because they're done while we get stuck in pooping wind. Best I do is set a bezel on a dive watch to the start second, and as long as someone keeps track of minutes to go, I can keep and eye on time left. Skipper uses a kitchen timer stuck to the hatch with a magnet out of habit...

Yep. Also means the fast boats in our start have a huge advantage because they're done while we get stuck in pooping wind. Best I do is set a bezel on a dive watch to the start second, and as long as someone keeps track of minutes to go, I can keep and eye on time left. Skipper uses a kitchen timer stuck to the hatch with a magnet out of habit...
The one race I entered in the tornado, we finished so far in front of everyone else (as expected) and then the wind came up significantly. We got killed after handicap was applied as they had decent speed after we were done. Leisurely race (hobies almost stopped) and was flying waiting for the race to end.

When we go to a regatta , our plotter will let you sail past the committee boat and ping it , then past the mark at the other end and using GPS it shows a virtual start line , computes boat speed three times a second and shows you when you’ll hit the line running . It won’t calculate traffic so there is always that one idiot ( maybe two) dinking about on port , oblivious. But it really has made watches redundant.

The one race I entered in the tornado, we finished so far in front of everyone else (as expected) and then the wind came up significantly. We got killed after handicap was applied as they had decent speed after we were done. Leisurely race (hobies almost stopped) and was flying waiting for the race to end.
Usually the opposite for us. We have one boat, a J 109, that's way faster than the mostly old boats in our class. They're usually done and in for dinner while we drift on the last downwind leg as the wind poops with sunset looming. I would feel more sympathy for them, as they really only get the start for racing, but the skipper has a habit of using his boat speed and big sails to blanket the line and steamroll everyone.

It won’t calculate traffic so there is always that one idiot ( maybe two) dinking about on port , oblivious.
My favourite are the starts where the port tack is favoured because of line placement, where you have to choose between speed on port or control on starboard...

Good lord

Funny thing, the first thing I thought when I saw the blue screws on the tourbillion watch was that's some $600 Ali Express tourbillion watch **** right there, and the guy in the video said the exact same thing. He gave the LLC flogging it a bit more room on the price, though.

My brother brought me back a torbillion watch from China , I think it may be KinYuid brand? its a bit gaudy , but fully automatic and cost was about $12.00 US . Its only a super complicated movement until the Chinese make a bazillion of them paying kids .40cents per unit.

I ordered a Trump bible for my Trump hating buddy , still havent received it ,

I ordered a Trump bible for my Trump hating buddy , still havent received it ,

They’re made in China. Probably in a container in the middle of the Pacific.

For digny races I use a Timex Ironman . Yes , I own a Timex , it’s $29.00 so perfect to bash around .

Just one?

Had the OG since the early 80's when my knees were onboard with me running. You can pick up the new ones (R) for under $100.

AP1GczOW1Rp4iro_DGmmjcg1qnahx_npk51zu7p5hGWxeInEzfb_J3SfONY6yfMGFNygJAsDmzP0UC-1n8TfjkTvh4Q6HR--Ma5KgcyC5M-6yzsKos9773E9QVebiIGJVjKd81h_5tvxKER8GQNpkBz5ga2u=w1511-h919-s-no-gm

Just one?

Had the OG since the early 80's when my knees were onboard with me running. You can pick up the new ones (R) for under $100.

AP1GczOW1Rp4iro_DGmmjcg1qnahx_npk51zu7p5hGWxeInEzfb_J3SfONY6yfMGFNygJAsDmzP0UC-1n8TfjkTvh4Q6HR--Ma5KgcyC5M-6yzsKos9773E9QVebiIGJVjKd81h_5tvxKER8GQNpkBz5ga2u=w1511-h919-s-no-gm
Those are the best-selling watches the world has ever seen, I think this year is the 40th anniversary (it was launched as "Triathlon", then renamed in 86 as Ironman).

My feed is overrun with ads for Mu:n watches. They are visually interesting in the videos. I'm not paying over $1000 for a Kickstarter watch from a company with no history that will likely never make another watch. Also, ad spend is often inversely proportional to actual desirability. Resale will be close to zero imo.

The algorithm hasn't hit me with those yet. Have been getting relentless ads from Yema, though. Some of those Kickstarter microbrands stick, many don't. The market is definitely saturating, though. If there was one thing that came through at that watch show is how hard it is to do design that's both original and still wearable as a day-to-day watch rather than a novelty. Baltic started as a Kickstarter brand, and now they're well established (and their watches hold value better than almost anything out there), but they have design skills that most other microbrands can't touch.

Yema is all over my feed , I like them , some nice looks , but there are two dozen dive watches in that same category.

And yes , 1 only Timex , I bought it as a transition to a better watch , I did buy the Ronstan ( Gill , same thing) but this friggin Timex won’t die , it’s 20years old and it could be the original battery . Won’t die , and I’ve tried .

Back
Top Bottom