Recent movies you saw - recommend or no | Page 238 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recent movies you saw - recommend or no

Watched a couple of older movies

Sky Captain I believe is a bit of a underrated movie. I think it's well done, it slips up in some places, but the everything works. I like the style and look of the movie. Too bad computer tech wasn't better at the time to perfect the overall quality, since it seems a bit blurry or hazy. Minority Report suffers a bit with some of the same problem, lots of computer effects resulting in some hazy visuals, product of the time I guess.

Watched a couple of older movies

Sky Captain I believe is a bit of a underrated movie. I think it's well done, it slips up in some places, but the everything works. I like the style and look of the movie. Too bad computer tech wasn't better at the time to perfect the overall quality, since it seems a bit blurry or hazy. Minority Report suffers a bit with some of the same problem, lots of computer effects resulting in some hazy visuals, product of the time I guess.
I saw "Sky Captain" in the theatre when it first came out and really enjoyed the style and story, but left with a massive headache due to the 3D, sepia toning, or both.

I liked Sky Captain....the styling was excellent. Not really Steam Punk but close.
An author friend of mine refers to it as "Decopunk." He wrote a novel series called "Airship Daedalus" set in a 1920s Decopunk world, then killed "me" off in book 6 :p

An author friend of mine refers to it as "Decopunk." He wrote a novel series called "Airship Daedalus" set in a 1920s Decopunk world, then killed "me" off in book 6 :p
Yes I was thinking the movie was a mix between Art Deco and Atomic Age styling.

I saw it in the theatre as well. But don't remember it being in 3D, didn't notice any of the usual tell tale signs, like things obviously shoved to the camera, that it was in 3D. Maybe I didn't watch it in it.

Yes I was thinking the movie was a mix between Art Deco and Atomic Age styling.

I saw it in the theatre as well. But don't remember it being in 3D, didn't notice any of the usual tell tale signs, like things obviously shoved to the camera, that it was in 3D. Maybe I didn't watch it in it.
I might be conflating the two things because 3D at the time really had a habit of giving me a headache, but the pain when leaving "Sky Captain" was more than with any other movie at the time.

Interesting info
He's got some excellent points. There are a ton of other, similar artists out there. Ian Hubert is the one who immediately comes to mind as he's doing effects heavy work with desktop hardware and free software. You can now simulate film grain and even cinema lenses, digitally and convincingly.

And years ago there were productions that were made using software like Blender that, while not Hollywood effects level, were quite watchable. For example Ian worked on "Project London" which was made with donated time and released to the public with financial assistance from thousands of financial backers like me. (I heard about it because my friend, Jen, was in it.)

Waiting on that to stream as I like Comer and "Elvis".
••••••
After a long wait my 4k UHD copy of Lawrence of Arabia arrived. Reviews are good on it. The 3 minute music overture on a completely black screen was disconcerting. Had to check online that it was normal.
Waiting until evening to watch. Long movie. The last time I saw it was at the lone remaining full sized 70mm screen in Hamilton....I felt I could reach into the film and pick up a handful of sand. Was stunning,
You just can't match that experience which was remastered film afaik on a 50" 4k monitor but will still enjoy the 3 hour film.
Lawrence is dated of course - it's 60+ years old after all. Still spectacular and arab face for some of the principal actors tho Omar Sharif and Anthony Quinn not so much...Alex Guinness would be out of place today. The movie is stiff at times - Peter O'toole certainly forceful and his blue eyes out of a tanned face and bright blonde hair arresting.
The transfer is grainy at times and superb at others....bit of a western with camels. If not basically a true story would not cut it today.
Dynamic range on the visuals is superb as is the sound.
Took a while to get the picture where I was happy - I am watching on a cloudy dim day so not perfect conditions...still engaging. Part two
🍿

Last edited:
Watched Jodie Comer in The Bikeriders last night. Great actress.
Watched it while on holidays, was ok, not quite like I expected. She's great on the eyes, but I found her performance off a bit, something didn't fit completely for me.

Watched a few movies while on holidays.

The Bikeriders - see above, interesting, different, wonder if they could do a followup.

Gifted (2027) - somehow this came onto my radar, and I was curious, what a great little movie, light heated and not too heavy. The performance by the child actor was amazing (same actress in the newer Ghostbuster movies), better then some a-listers. Overall great casting, writing etc.

Beverly Hills Cop Axel F - Was fun entertaining, had some of the same vibe as the older 80's version (recycled the soundtrack heavily), female lead was easy on the eyes.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - Enjoyable, fun pop corn movie, the series might still have some legs

Horizon An American Saga - Not sure what to think of this, I think Costner has done too many westerns now, this felt like a blend of many of them, there didn't feel like a central character or theme. Just stuff happening in the west during this time period. For a long movie not a lot happens, also they had a series of montages at the end with little connection to the story, kinda weird. Still entertaining somehow.

Furiosa - A Mad Max Saga - Garbage movie, dumb characters, heavy obvious green screen, thin basic plot and simple story telling way longer then it needed to be. I feel sorry for anyone who saw this in the theatre.

Waiting on that to stream as I like Comer and "Elvis".
••••••
After a long wait my 4k UHD copy of Lawrence of Arabia arrived. Reviews are good on it. The 3 minute music overture on a completely black screen was disconcerting. Had to check online that it was normal.
Waiting until evening to watch. Long movie. The last time I saw it was at the lone remaining full sized 70mm screen in Hamilton....I felt I could reach into the film and pick up a handful of sand. Was stunning,
You just can't match that experience which was remastered film afaik on a 50" 4k monitor but will still enjoy the 3 hour film.
Lawrence is dated of course - it's 60+ years old after all. Still spectacular and arab face for some of the principal actors tho Omar Sharif and Anthony Quinn not so much...Alex Guinness would be out of place today. The movie is stiff at times - Peter O'toole certainly forceful and his blue eyes out of a tanned face and bright blonde hair arresting.
The transfer is grainy at times and superb at others....bit of a western with camels. If not basically a true story would not cut it today.
Dynamic range on the visuals is superb as is the sound.
Took a while to get the picture where I was happy - I am watching on a cloudy dim day so not perfect conditions...still engaging. Part two
🍿
Yeah the black screen caught me off as well the first time I watch the full version. Times have changed when movies were truly epic you needed a interlude and a mid point break.

Oppenheimer and Justice League recently run 3 hours.
Oppy was the shortest 3 hours evah for me. It was my first outing after my accident, was in a wheel chair and completely mesmerized,
Here is an interesting list

Gifted is a must see movie. I was blown away by the kid too.

I have an unwatched 5th Element in 4k UHD teed up for after the Olympics.

Lawrence reminded me I would really like a bigger screen. Some movies a 50" even up close in 4k doesn't cut it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Will add these to the list. My wife asks how I know all these movies and shows. I finally told her that I get the picks from GTAM. You folks haven't failed yet. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom