Recent movies you saw - recommend or no | Page 239 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recent movies you saw - recommend or no

Read a bit about the filming. Apparently shot on a RED camera ( numerous )

I just finished Fifth Element in 4k UHD which long has been a reference film for me - I've noticed on my 4k UHD a bit of grain on certain shots in particular Lawrence.
If I move back a bit the grain disappears.
Last Kingdom tho I see no grain even up close. Not sure what is going on there.
Detail and dynamic range is superb on both as is the sound. Both films are terrific if I'm slightly further away. :unsure:
I think the biggest improvements are in scenes shot at night or near dark.
I enjoy watching in the 1 meter range on the 50" with a 4k feed but the slight grain on some is annoying.
Might have to play a bit with the sharpness control hopefully without losing detail 🤪

That said both Last Kingdom and Fifth Element are superb in 4k.

Last edited:
Not a comedy fan but I like the lead and the review are stellar.
I'm glad to be shy of winter and snow but this is very nostalgic for me.
Time period too.

Looking for movies and shows that I can binge now I have finished the complete Viking cycle.
We are watching Will Trent. It will suck you in. Very well written. Each episode very different with a couple of back stories. The wife loves it too.

Cool - got it...teed up for post Olympics
Quite the start....🍿
The production values superb. Wonder how the books are ....looking for something lighter than Fatal Shore.
Liking it ..how come all detectives are dysfunctional . The visuals are just superb - excellent 4k
Coming off the way too dark 7 Kings this is a treat.
Hmmm this is one reason... Leica..
Sound production also top notch tho might be the Sennheisers...got the drop out problem sorted. (y)

Last edited:
I always overlook these and Roger Ebert site set me straight
Very good production values. Had not realized Andy Serkis was engaged with this franchise.
There is an Avator feel to the spectacular landscape. 🍿 On Disney
I really enjoyed that - decent story but amazing film tech. Guess I will watch the others.

Last edited:
Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes - first in the modern series. Well done.
Tom Felton seems destined to be cast a villian after Harry Potter run as Draco.

On to the next one
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

then
War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) but maybe these for tonight as nice day out.
Got the ride in , and a nap.

I'm quite impressed with the Apes movies ...I'd only seen bits and pieces before. Watching the whole modern cycle ( four movies and more to come...tho I watched the most recent first.)
They must have serious primatologists on staff. Remarkable work
Seriously good production values. That orangutang is incredible.

Of course had to be WETA.
..it was a highlight of our trip to New Zealand to see the WETA workshop

Last edited:
not sure on this but some laughs for sure
Well redeeming feature is a Stan Lee cameo.
I'd prefer Ditko & Kirby. Lee was one of the main reasons I stopped reading Marvel, although I didn't realize it at the time.

so dark ( subject not the filming) and purposefully shot in 16mm which adds grain that I don't like tho moving further away blunts that. Dymanic range of the film is very good.
I can't recall I every watched it in one go.....ballet dancers are insane. What they do to their bodies and apparently what Portman did to hers for the role as she's not a fully trained ballerina.
Portman is pretty small and she dropped 20lb for the role.:eek:
While I admire the dancers what they have to go through takes away from the enjoyment.
I guess top end athletes are also driven ...my first wife had a streak of that.

Portman was not the only trauma victim of the movie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom