Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 494 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I would say that this one fits his style but damn. $7000 for a wall mount electric washer is steep.

It looks like they start at about $1700 for a German version of what he has now. Ouch. His $300 washer lasted 7 years. He will be long dead before he sees the roi on the German.

I would say that this one fits his style but damn. $7000 for a wall mount electric washer is steep.

It looks like they start at about $1700 for a German version of what he has now. Ouch. His $300 washer lasted 7 years. He will be long dead before he sees the roi on the German.
Not impressed I have dealt with some of these typical German overcomplicating. Parts are hard to get and weird fittings. They don't last that much longer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I have a Canadian Tire Simonize 2000psi electric, I’ve beaten that senseless for 6 years. Other than o-rings in the hose and wand, no trouble.

I also have a gas BE 2400psi brand from Home Depot. Same thing, change oil once a year, use no ethanol gas and it’s been a 1 pull start for 5 years.

Had a couple of Karchers, too many brittle plastic parts that break, parts are crazy expensive. I won’t buy another.

Unless you’re using it for work, the big box specials to hold up to household duty for years.

Going to rig up a hoist in a ceiling alcove in my office to haul the bike up into out of the way. There’s just enough room to pull it up out the way with the tires clear of the main ceiling level. Had to hunt around for a system that would let me get the top of the bike closer to the alcove ceiling and found one made by a boat pulley manufacturer with a single attachment point and a strap system for the bike. Just need to find a joist now and fit it.

I have a Canadian Tire Simonize 2000psi electric, I’ve beaten that senseless for 6 years. Other than o-rings in the hose and wand, no trouble.

I also have a gas BE 2400psi brand from Home Depot. Same thing, change oil once a year, use no ethanol gas and it’s been a 1 pull start for 5 years.

Had a couple of Karchers, too many brittle plastic parts that break, parts are crazy expensive. I won’t buy another.

Unless you’re using it for work, the big box specials to hold up to household duty for years.
Simonize here has lasted 20 years here. Simple and amazing durability.

Thanks all. I think I’ll stay with an electric one so it’s not one more thing to manually change the oil in. As I mostly use it to wash the house, deck , cars, bikes I think a $300ish budget will be fine. Time to check sales on Simonize.

Thanks all. I think I’ll stay with an electric one so it’s not one more thing to manually change the oil in. As I mostly use it to wash the house, deck , cars, bikes I think a $300ish budget will be fine. Time to check sales on Simonize.
Electric is the way to go for around the house.

Gas powered would be for a heavy duty operation where you need big power.

We’ve got a small electric one and works like a charm for deck, stairs, concrete, and siding cleaning.

Going to rig up a hoist in a ceiling alcove in my office to haul the bike up into out of the way. There’s just enough room to pull it up out the way with the tires clear of the main ceiling level. Had to hunt around for a system that would let me get the top of the bike closer to the alcove ceiling and found one made by a boat pulley manufacturer with a single attachment point and a strap system for the bike. Just need to find a joist now and fit it.

You can invert the bike and hang it by the wheels instead of from the frame if you need to get the bike really close to the ceiling, or if the alcove ceiling is slanted and interferes with the handlebar width. You can also strap the wheels to a broom handle like a rail to keep them inline.

$86? You're paying a tonne of money for your "system", which is basically a rope and a couple of pulleys. I made a similar rig to store my kayak from Home Depot pulleys, rope and a hand winch off a boat trailer. Total cost maybe $20. It was no more work to install than that system would be.

$86? You're paying a tonne of money for your "system", which is basically a rope and a couple of pulleys. I made a similar rig to store my kayak from Home Depot pulleys, rope and a hand winch off a boat trailer. Total cost maybe $20. It was no more work to install than that system would be.

You can find these on Kijiji for <$30 all day long. Think I'll pick up an extra one or two as it's good to have.

True enough but this had good reviews and I can return it easily enough with Amazon. I also have a small issue with space in terms of moving the rope to free the mechanism. This is a very high quality pulley so hopefully that helps with this issue.

Edit: the Amazon pulley has a no slip mechanism and a few more details than the Home Depot one. Works similarly to the way old string blinds did.

I hang my bicycles horizontally in the garage with two pulley systems, which works but is kind of a PITA.

One alternate scheme that I considered was a 2x4 frame/shelf suspended from the joists by a hinge on one end, and a pulley on the other. Loosen the rope to drop one end of the shelf so it hangs vertically, strap/affix the load to the shelf, then haul it back up horizontal to the ceiling. I never actually built this thing, but if anyone wants to give it a try, let me know how it works.
ceiling_storage_small.jpg

I hang my bicycles horizontally in the garage with two pulley systems, which works but is kind of a PITA.

One alternate scheme that I considered was a 2x4 frame/shelf suspended from the joists by a hinge on one end, and a pulley on the other. Loosen the rope to drop one end of the shelf so it hangs vertically, strap/affix the load to the shelf, then haul it back up horizontal to the ceiling. I never actually built this thing, but if anyone wants to give it a try, let me know how it works.
View attachment 69427

If I had decent ceilings in my garage I’d do something like that or get the electric hoist Mike showed and fit a platform to it. Unfortunately they are super low. The highest ceiling in the house is the alcove where I’m putting the manual hoist.

View attachment 69427
That's fantastic! If only my garage had higher than 8ft ceilings...unfortunately this would never work for me, and I can't even use the space above the garage door as there's only about 10" of space up there.

But this seems like a great concept.

When hanging bicycles, anything with cable brakes can be hung in any position.

Hydraulic brakes *can* get some air issues if hung upside down. It is not hard and fast and from my experience it takes a while (it is from sitting like this for an extended period, not just being flipped over for a week). I have bled a few systems due to air from being hung for extended periods of time upside down. A lot may also be due to specific master cylinder reservoir design.

Back
Top Bottom