Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 496 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Looks like a motor or transformer enclosure that was used as a tool base. Did he ever have a small bandsaw, planer or tablesaw?
The strange part is the locking door. I agree, it's most recent purpose was likely tool base. Not sure what it's original purpose was. I guess it could have been industrial use and they wanted to keep the line staff out of the danger compartment.

The strange part is the locking door. ...
Transformer enclosure, tow motor charger? The locked door was probably access to fuses or configuration wiring.

The feet look to be for a bolt-down application which leads me to think it was originally an electrical enclosure rather than a tool stand.

In today ‘WTF am I doing?’….

Was trying to put the grout / mortar in between the thin brick joints with the bag….what a pain in the *** that is.

Ended up with a small pointer tool and while labour intensive…not as bad as I thought.

Although I’m a tad concerned about why the bricks are so light in comparison to the ones on the right…

Any tips? Preferably quick.

1724860411432.jpeg

1724860425127.jpeg

1724860437510.jpeg

Was trying to put the grout / mortar in between the thin brick joints with the bag….what a pain in the *** that is.

Ended up with a small pointer tool and while labour intensive…not as bad as I thought.

Although I’m a tad concerned about why the bricks are so light in comparison to the ones on the right…

View attachment 69544

View attachment 69545

View attachment 69546
Did you pull bricks from various batches as you were going? Colours never match perfectly. Whether doing hardwood, brick, stone, whatever, it's a pain but try to pull from at least three batches/boxes/layers on skid at all times. More sources are better as they make the variations more random throughout the wall.

View attachment 69544

View attachment 69545

View attachment 69546
While real masons may shudder at this technique, I do it wearing Nitrile/Grease Monkey gloves I use a float or hawk to hold the mortar and my fingers to push it in. Replace gloves as they fail. Go back and finish it with the tools afterwards.

When I had my house repointed, they used what looks like large icing bags, but also this technique for some area's. This was after some of the mortar was ground out.

1724863736486.png

From there they used a repointing tool, like this one.
1724863781497.png
1724863826040.png
Then ran a broom over it for texture.

View attachment 69544

View attachment 69545

View attachment 69546
Wanna tip?

Scoop your mortar on a bricklayer's trowel, then slap the trowel like you would if you're laying blocks. Slappin the trowel firms up the mortar making it easier to handle and not as runny and sticky to brick faces. Take the mortar from the brick trowel to your pointing trowel.

Much easier to point as it's drier and not runny. Also much easier to clean off the brick faces.

Thanks!

The bag I can’t get to work, so we’re following through with the method @Jampy00 showed by his contractor.

It’s going…

Thanks!

The bag I can’t get to work, so we’re following through with the method @Jampy00 showed by his contractor.

It’s going…
Best of luck.

I watched them for hours as I know I'll have to do it again at some point, so wanted to learn as much as I can. They also used S type mortar.

Done for the day….

1724875751198.jpeg

Hoping the light colour darkens as dad says it’s just dust.

Also some of the mortar isn’t coming off the edges of the brick so hopefully @Jampy00 is wrong and wife won’t divorce me over that…

Thanks!

It’s going…
I've repointed a few bricks over the years, I find the bag hard to use.
Done for the day….

View attachment 69552

Hoping the light colour darkens as dad says it’s just dust.

Also some of the mortar isn’t coming off the edges of the brick so hopefully @Jampy00 is wrong and wife won’t divorce me over that…
If your mortar is too runny (like toothpaste or peanut butter), it will droop in the spaces and be sticky on the brick edges and face.

If it's closer to cookie dough, it will hold firm without slumping and you should be able to brush it off the bricks with a broom.

I've repointed a few bricks over the years, I find the bag hard to use.

If your mortar is too runny (like toothpaste or peanut butter), it will droop in the spaces and be sticky on the brick edges and face.

If it's closer to cookie dough, it will hold firm without slumping and you should be able to brush it off the bricks with a broom.
Well it passed the wide acceptance test so no divorce.

How does one clean the grout that’s on the brick by now?

Well it passed the wide acceptance test so no divorce.

How does one clean the grout that’s on the brick by now?
If it won’t broom off, your into wire brush country.

If the grout is less than a day old, it should come off with a pressure washer, but be careful as that can blow out the grout you want to keep.

Day 2 of grout work….MUCH MUCH better! Not sure what we did different…but it’s a huge improvement.

1724974530632.jpeg

Also noticed someone at some point in the last year tried to break in through a basement window…they cut out holes in the screen to access the tabs.

1724974575254.jpeg

Day 2 of grout work….MUCH MUCH better! Not sure what we did different…but it’s a huge improvement.

View attachment 69564

Also noticed someone at some point in the last year tried to break in through a basement window…they cut out holes in the screen to access the tabs.

View attachment 69565
Very neat work for a crackhead strange

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom